DCL Europe Summer 2022 approaching - what are you doing?

I’m so sorry about this! It’s everyone’s biggest fear I’m sure. We sail in 2 weeks from Dover. Could you give details about how you ended up in the Airbnb? Did Disney help or have a number of them booked? What about payment?

Good luck with your next adventures!

I’m so sorry about this! It’s everyone’s biggest fear I’m sure. We sail in 2 weeks from Dover. Could you give details about how you ended up in the Airbnb? Did Disney help or have a number of them booked? What about payment?

Good luck with your next adventures!

Our family was supposed to board the 12 night Mediterranean cruise but sadly, the night before, I tested positive. I had a fever and was not feeling well. The day before I had a runny nose in the morning and thought it was just allergies, and tested negative. The rest of the family tested negative, but then a few days later everyone came down with it. It was a crushing disappointment after so many months of planning. As I type this, we have been quarantined in an AirBnB in Rome for the past week, and plan to stay a few more days until we hit our 10 day mark and can travel to Barcelona to finish out our trip for a couple days. All of our symptoms are mild now, just cough and runny nose.

Following our Facebook group, several other families tested positive after being on board for a few days. They are quarantined to their rooms and say Disney is treating them very well.

I sometimes think what would have happened if I had tested positive just one day later. There are pros and cons to being quarantined on the ship vs. on land, but overall we are just still so sad and disappointed. This is our family’s first time catching Covid and it came as a big shock.

If you’re able to do just carry-on luggage, we did two rolling luggages and two large carryon sized backpacks and that worked well for us. We had to pack much lighter than we ever have in the past, but I’m glad we managed it somehow, as it was good to not have to deal with lost luggage.

I’m very thankful that a negative test isn’t needed to travel back home or we may be stranded here for quite a while… my heart is still so sad, but trying to plan a “redo” cruise for next year and hope for the best.
You must be so disppointed and I'm so sad for you. Testing positive is a huge concern for those with reservations for Europe. I would also be interested in how your FB friends fared while onboard during their quarantine. Also, how you managed to find an airbnb to stay. Is 10 days the European requirement for quarantine? Of when you test negative?
Thank you for the luggage advice. Yet another hurdle to travelling this summer.
Hope you All feel well soon and can be home soon as well.

Our family was supposed to board the 12 night Mediterranean cruise but sadly, the night before, I tested positive. I had a fever and was not feeling well. The day before I had a runny nose in the morning and thought it was just allergies, and tested negative. The rest of the family tested negative, but then a few days later everyone came down with it. It was a crushing disappointment after so many months of planning. As I type this, we have been quarantined in an AirBnB in Rome for the past week, and plan to stay a few more days until we hit our 10 day mark and can travel to Barcelona to finish out our trip for a couple days. All of our symptoms are mild now, just cough and runny nose.

Following our Facebook group, several other families tested positive after being on board for a few days. They are quarantined to their rooms and say Disney is treating them very well.

I sometimes think what would have happened if I had tested positive just one day later. There are pros and cons to being quarantined on the ship vs. on land, but overall we are just still so sad and disappointed. This is our family’s first time catching Covid and it came as a big shock.

If you’re able to do just carry-on luggage, we did two rolling luggages and two large carryon sized backpacks and that worked well for us. We had to pack much lighter than we ever have in the past, but I’m glad we managed it somehow, as it was good to not have to deal with lost luggage.

I’m very thankful that a negative test isn’t needed to travel back home or we may be stranded here for quite a while… my heart is still so sad, but trying to plan a “redo” cruise for next year and hope for the best.
I’m surprised you have to quarantine for 10 days. I live in Germany and from my understanding most European countries now have a five day quarantine and you can test out with a negative Antigen. If you’re boosted there are also other rules when you get out faster. 10 day quarantine are only for those that are not vaxxed i believe

I’m surprised you have to quarantine for 10 days. I live in Germany and from my understanding most European countries now have a five day quarantine and you can test out with a negative Antigen. If you’re boosted there are also other rules when you get out faster. 10 day quarantine are only for those that are not vaxxed i believe
In Switzerland, we don’t have any isolation or quarantine. You’re supposed to wear a mask (I think even that is only with symptoms).

Hi all, I believe the required quarantine time is 5 days now and then masking for 10 days if you are fever free for at least 24 hours and symptoms are improving but unfortunately the entire family tested positive three days after us so it was our choice to extend our stay longer. We had to find the AirBnB on our own and pay for it ourselves (advice - get travel insurance! We didn’t and are out of pocket). Thankfully, we found a larger apartment — we searched for places with laundry, A/C and Wi-Fi and luckily something was available last minute. After 5 days, I have been able to go to shops, masked, to buy groceries for the family. I am still testing positive at day 9 (ugh) and my husband and I both have runny nose and cough, though no fever for a long time now. We originally thought we’d move somewhere else after 7 days but felt we should limit being out and about while so many of us are positive.

With regards to those who are onboard and quarantining, DCL gave them the option to move to a Verandah room or stay in their current room. One family who was in an oceanview opted to stay in their room due to the hassle of moving. They order food through the room service menu but can also request food that’s served in the dining rooms. They said that they would test them at day 6 and if negative, they would be allowed to roam the ship again with masks on and enjoy the last part of their cruise. Both families seem very pleased with how Disney has taken care of them, which is good.

There were also a fair number who were turned away at the port, sadly. Disney doesn’t monitor you or do anything at that point, so I think it’s up to you where you quarantine and for how long.

Hope this information is helpful! I’m glad that they are changing the testing protocols so situations like ours where you fly all the way to Europe only to not be able to board are decreased, but it’s also amazing to me how quickly things can change. One day I was feeling fine and tested negative, and the next day the fever and fatigue hit me like a ton of bricks (along with the positive test).

Thank you for your update Very thorough... All good info. Glad All are feeling better and you had a place to stay to recover.
The news about the luggage situation at some Europe airports is also a concern for many travellers.
Pack as little as you can..................
One last question, What has worked to quell your symptoms?

For me, it was just sleeping a lot (12 hours a day), drinking hot tea, and a lot of liquids. I took a Tylenol (well, the Italian equivalent) the first couple of nights even though my fever never went above 101.2, mainly so I could get a good night’s rest. The symptoms got better on their own. I’m still coughing occasionally and have some runny nose, but have not had a fever for over 5 days now. My husband is still coughing and lost his sense of smell/taste, but the kids are basically asymptomatic now.

Ok, question regarding the “taken 1 to 2 days before their sail date.” We sail on Saturday, July 30th out of Dover. If the 30th is the sail date then 2 days before the sail date would be Thursday the 28th, correct? Making sure I am reading this correctly and DCL isn’t even taking call right now to confirm so appreciate the assistance.

Ok, question regarding the “taken 1 to 2 days before their sail date.” We sail on Saturday, July 30th out of Dover. If the 30th is the sail date then 2 days before the sail date would be Thursday the 28th, correct? Making sure I am reading this correctly and DCL isn’t even taking call right now to confirm so appreciate the assistance.
I’m on your sailing and that’s when I’m testing.

I bought the travel insurance from DCL just for this reason but am wondering if they will cover the costs of denied boarding due to Covid? We are flying from MN to London for the 2023 WBTA and I sure hope things are better by then. Has anyone had experience with the travel insurance you get through DCL? We are Platinum cruisers but this is my first time purchasing the insurance..........we are older and will be in a foreign country.

I bought the travel insurance from DCL just for this reason but am wondering if they will cover the costs of denied boarding due to Covid? We are flying from MN to London for the 2023 WBTA and I sure hope things are better by then. Has anyone had experience with the travel insurance you get through DCL? We are Platinum cruisers but this is my first time purchasing the insurance..........we are older and will be in a foreign country.
I would compare other companies to what DCL insurance provides. Typically you can get more coverage for less going with another company. My mom travels with us so I always look at medical coverage/ medical evacuation amounts along with trip delay coverage. We did have to submit a claim this past February and I was reimbursed the entire amount when we couldn't board due to Covid.

I would compare other companies to what DCL insurance provides. Typically you can get more coverage for less going with another company. My mom travels with us so I always look at medical coverage/ medical evacuation amounts along with trip delay coverage. We did have to submit a claim this past February and I was reimbursed the entire amount when we couldn't board due to Covid.
Can you recommend a company or send a PM? Thanks!

As of now, if Disney Cruise Line denies you boarding due to a positive COVID test, your fare will be refunded (or you can reschedule for another cruise). In that case, you wouldn't need the insurance to reimburse you for the fare. However, the insurance purchased through DCL will only reimburse you for expenses directly related to the cruise. It will not cover changes or cancellations needed for airfare, hotels, and transportation unless it was booked through DCL, nor will it cover medical expenses before or after the cruise.

You should be able to do a web search for travel insurance aggregator sites. There are a few sites that allow you to compare the coverage and costs of various companies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter