DCL Lesbian Wedding on Castaway Cay

theatrechic

Earning My Ears
Hi all.

I've been lurking on these threads for a while now. I just read thru a bunch of threads and did a search and did not find anything about this so I apologize if this has been covered.

My partner and I just returned from a 4 night cruise on DCL and pretty much fell in love with all of it, especially Castaway Cay. To the point where we are thinking of having our wedding on the island. I have reached out to DFTW but wanted to ask an opinion here. Looking at the options for locations on the island they both look to be pretty public spaces. I don't mind this much but my partner brought up that she is concerned that we might face ridicule or commentary from people who are not approving of a "non-traditional" wedding. I personally think that people will be so focused on their own vacation that they won't be paying much attention to us but maybe that's me being foolish.

Has anyone attended a gay wedding on Castaway Cay? Or witnessed one when they have taken a cruise?
Curious to hear people's opinions.

Thank you!!

Looking at the options for locations on the island they both look to be pretty public spaces. I don't mind this much but my partner brought up that she is concerned that we might face ridicule or commentary from people who are not approving of a "non-traditional" wedding.
On a ship with over 3,000 passengers there may indeed be some people who do not approve of a non-traditional wedding. So what. No difference than day-to-day life in the US (or wherever you are from). My wife and I (straight) have cruised on DCL 15 times. Once with our lesbian daughter and her partner at the time. We regularly travel with a gay (male) couple. Observe other same sex couples. Never have we noticed any ridicule or adverse commentary from others about same sex couples.

As you've probably learned by now, some people are just not accepting. Its a fact of life, no matter what your race, gender, etc is. While we can try to educate people one at a time, there will always be those who choose to have a narrow point of view. That's their problem, not yours. You owe it to yourself and your fiancé to make that special day the best you can. Go out there and own it!!! :butterfly

I agree. The day will be focused on you and your future wife... as it should be. Just as PP said, you can face judgement anywhere, just as you can face a crowd full of supportive Disney-fan onlookers who will cheer and high five two beautiful ladies dressed up in wedding wear. Do what you want. It's your day. I've been on 9 cruises and actually never seen a wedding at all... I did see a bride in a dress once, but the ceremony was either out of view, or not where I was at the time. :) I personally LOVE seeing people about to get married. Disney frowns on poorly behaved guests no matter the reason, so I'm sure if there was anyone who was acting inappropriate, they'd be sure to squash it.
Congrats! And I hope you are able to plan the perfect ceremony for you... Disney or not. <3

I'm sure there will be someone on the cruise who'll be all puss faced about it, but I doubt if they would bother you or that people would let them. We've been on two cruises with our daughter and she's very adept at eliminating any doubt that we're anything but a family :) No problems. In fact, I don't think anyone even really noticed, at least not that we could tell.

We were on a cruise with a couple that got married on the island. I didn't see or hear anyone giving a fuss over it. They were both nicely dressed in their tux's and we saw it off from the distance. They then were taken back in their "limo" (golf cart with just married off the back) through the crowd and were getting cheers.

Go for it! I have read that they only do one wedding at CC and one wedding on the ship per sailing. You want to call Disney to confirm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!