DCL transfers to/from Galveston

I agree with what Shanti says above. While I'm not a native Texan, I have been a resident of the Houston area for over 20 years now. It takes me 1 hour and 15 minutes to drive 21 miles to work each day and just about the same to drive home. For frame of reference, we live in Katy and I drive to the Galleria area (more specifically - I work in Williams Tower). Houston traffic is honestly the worst I've driven in and I can compare that to driving in Philly, LA and Denver traffic which are all bad, but in my opinion, not as bad as Houston traffic.

That said, from IAH (or Hobby) to Galveston it is a straight shot down 45 and as long as you don't mind stalled traffic in all lanes during several spots on your journey, once you get on 45, it's really easy.

If I weren't from here I'd use a car service or shuttle service. We find it more relaxing to do the same in Florida when going to Port Canaveral.

When we go to the port in Galveston we drive down and park our car in Lighthouse Parking. Easy to rent a spot online and there's even an early bird discount if you do so.

Happy cruising!
Just a thought here. Driven through Houston a few times since we moved to the Dallas area. We came from SoCal, so very familiar with traffic. We didn't find Houston to be particularly confusing or difficult to drive through, but we purposefully avoided the commuting times. Maybe it is our experience with SoCal and Dallas big city traffic, but we thought it was pretty easy. Just offering another perspective. Wouldn't want to scare people away from sailing out of Galveston out of fear of Houston traffic.

Just a thought here. Driven through Houston a few times since we moved to the Dallas area. We came from SoCal, so very familiar with traffic. We didn't find Houston to be particularly confusing or difficult to drive through, but we purposefully avoided the commuting times. Maybe it is our experience with SoCal and Dallas big city traffic, but we thought it was pretty easy. Just offering another perspective. Wouldn't want to scare people away from sailing out of Galveston out of fear of Houston traffic.

Agree! No need to shy away from traveling around Houston for a DCL cruise. As a matter of a fact, I find the port of Galveston to be incredibly easy to sail out of. My post was meant to provide a frame of reference on the length of time on the road and the potential of sitting in traffic. 45 is a straight shot from both airports, as I said above. Mainly, it's important to be prepared to pack your patience for it though.

Sorry for the late reply. We're going to be on the Dec 27 cruise. I didn't book at the time I posted my original inquiry but am planning to do it soon. I'll post back here if the price has gone up for us- hopefully not!

Update: Prices went up :-( It's now $70/pp RT from IAH to Galveston. Still cheaper than using Disney (even with the $30 flat fee for hotel pickup) so we're going to do it. Wish I'd booked months ago, though!

any advice on transfers from Hobby to the port with little ones? Hoping not to have to bring the booster seat. Does anyone have any experience with Galveston Shuttle and Limo?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter