Dcl transportation question

nikkyluvsmickey

DIS Veteran
I am getting picked up at por by DCL i have read on here that the resort picks up your luggage at 8 am but you dont get picked up until 11:30 or 12:30 so my question is why are they getting your luggage so early isnt it going on the same bus with you?

From the cruises we've done, twice we took our bags with us on the bus we traveled on and once they came and got our bags and they were still on the same bus as us. I think they just try and make it easier for you so they come get your luggage instead of you taking it down yourself.

I am getting picked up at por by DCL i have read on here that the resort picks up your luggage at 8 am but you dont get picked up until 11:30 or 12:30 so my question is why are they getting your luggage so early isnt it going on the same bus with you?

Because they x-ray them. It's just faster this way.

From the cruises we've done, twice we took our bags with us on the bus we traveled on and once they came and got our bags and they were still on the same bus as us. I think they just try and make it easier for you so they come get your luggage instead of you taking it down yourself.
Oh ok..so did u take the checked baggage off the bus into security or did the bus driver do that?

When we took our bags with us, when we got off the bus we went through security with them. The driver will take them physically off the bus from under the coach but you then take then with you through security. It is a lengthier process than if Disney does it for you.

To clarify the process:
From WDW resort to port, your bags will be picked up ahead of time and placed on the same bus you will end up on heading to port. You will get a letter in your room the night before the cruise telling you what time to report for your bus and where to be.
The bus arrives at port, you take your carryons with you thru the X ray machines and your checked luggage is taken to where they check and keep the bags until they are loaded onto the ship. You won't see your bags again until you get to your cabin at 1:30 when they are opened. Do NOT pack travel documents, medications, passports, ID, etc into checked luggage. Carry it in a purse or carryon bag. You need it in the terminal to check in and get your KTTWC. Your checked luggage will not be easy to access during that check in process.

From PC to airport or WDW resort:
You will get a note in your cabin a night or two prior to debarkation morning telling you what time to arrive to the bus line. Your checked bags will be collected from outside your cabin between 8:30 to 10:30 PM the night before. Again, Do NOT pack items you will need in your checked baggage.
You will leave the ship, head down to the luggage holding area, get your bags and will be directed to the appropriate bus. Airport buses leave earlier. Resort buses start leaving port at 9:00 AM

To clarify the process:
From WDW resort to port, your bags will be picked up ahead of time and placed on the same bus you will end up on heading to port. You will get a letter in your room the night before the cruise telling you what time to report for your bus and where to be.
The bus arrives at port, you take your carryons with you thru the X ray machines and your checked luggage is taken to where they check and keep the bags until they are loaded onto the ship. You won't see your bags again until you get to your cabin at 1:30 when they are opened. Do NOT pack travel documents, medications, passports, ID, etc into checked luggage. Carry it in a purse or carryon bag. You need it in the terminal to check in and get your KTTWC. Your checked luggage will not be easy to access during that check in process.

From PC to airport or WDW resort:
You will get a note in your cabin a night or two prior to debarkation morning telling you what time to arrive to the bus line. Your checked bags will be collected from outside your cabin between 8:30 to 10:30 PM the night before. Again, Do NOT pack items you will need in your checked baggage.
You will leave the ship, head down to the luggage holding area, get your bags and will be directed to the appropriate bus. Airport buses leave earlier. Resort buses start leaving port at 9:00 AM
Thank you so much thats exactly the info i was looking for :sail:

From WDW resort to port, your bags will be picked up ahead of time and placed on the same bus you will end up on heading to port.

Bags picked up from a WDW port go onto a truck and are shipped to the port prior to your bus. They do not go on the bus with you unless you take them with you personally. This allows them to more efficiently process luggage and not have to wait until everyone arrives to do so.

You will get a note in your cabin a night or two prior to debarkation morning telling you what time to arrive to the bus line.

From the port to the airport or WDW resort, you simply go down to the bus area after you disembark. You'll be asked to show your KTTW card to verify that you have purchased transfers (there will be an "A" on it if you're going to airport or an "R" if going to a resort). You'll be asked where you're going and directed to the right bus. There is no pre-set time. They leave as they fill up.

You will be given instructions in your room a night or two before about the disembarkation process - it plays on the TV on a loop too. It tells you about putting out your luggage, early disembarkation if you're taking your luggage off yourself, and about which breakfast seating you're at (your dining staff will also tell you about that the night before). Also where and how to pick your luggage up on disembarkation morning.

Bags picked up from a WDW port go onto a truck and are shipped to the port prior to your bus. They do not go on the bus with you unless you take them with you personally. This allows them to more efficiently process luggage and not have to wait until everyone arrives to do so.

That is really odd. We always have a cabin on Starboard and watch the buses unload from the Resorts. Including luggage pulled from the underbelly of the bus. They stack them on the luggage carts in large quantities and then are moved over to load onto the ship. Hmm.. I will have to make sure I take pictures of that next time because now I am really curious. :)

From the port to the airport or WDW resort, you simply go down to the bus area after you disembark. You'll be asked to show your KTTW card to verify that you have purchased transfers (there will be an "A" on it if you're going to airport or an "R" if going to a resort). You'll be asked where you're going and directed to the right bus. There is no pre-set time. They leave as they fill up.

You will be given instructions in your room a night or two before about the disembarkation process - it plays on the TV on a loop too. It tells you about putting out your luggage, early disembarkation if you're taking your luggage off yourself, and about which breakfast seating you're at (your dining staff will also tell you about that the night before). Also where and how to pick your luggage up on disembarkation morning.

Yes, my husband and son took the DCL bus to Yacht Club from the terminal last year and that is how it worked. My daughter and I drove in our car and got to Yacht club an hour and 30 minutes before they did. :) And the Bus to YC left at 9 AM and they were on the first one because they were told to be at the bus line in their letter by 8:15 AM.

Not everyone puts their luggage out for the porters to take the suitcases in the morning. There wouldn't be enough room under the bus for everyone to bring all of their suitcases. A lot of people decide they don't want to send their luggage ahead of time so they bring it with them when they go to board the bus. Those are the suitcases you see being pulled out from under the bus. The luggage that is picked up ahead of time is shipped over in the cargo trucks and offloaded at the port.

Not everyone puts their luggage out for the porters to take the suitcases in the morning. There wouldn't be enough room under the bus for everyone to bring all of their suitcases. A lot of people decide they don't want to send their luggage ahead of time so they bring it with them when they go to board the bus. Those are the suitcases you see being pulled out from under the bus. The luggage that is picked up ahead of time is shipped over in the cargo trucks and offloaded at the port.
So you have a choice then i thought it was mandatory for them to take it in a.m. thanks

So you have a choice then i thought it was mandatory for them to take it in a.m. thanks

Not mandatory. It is a perk they provide when you book DCL transfers so you don't have to shelp your own luggage. It makes it much easier to show up at the bus with just your carry ons. It just takes a bit of pre-planning to make sure you keep out what you will need for that first day in your carry ons but worth it to me.

This is just extra info but if you return to the WDW resort FROM the ship and use DCL transfers THEY DO NOT PROVIDE luggage service (directly from your cabin). You will have to claim your bags in the terminal, go through customs with them and then bring it out to the resort bus and it will be loaded under the bus (a porter is very helpful and convenient for this...well worth the tip).

Same process going from the ship to the airport unless you book Onboard Airline Check In. With OAC they will take your checked bags from outside your cabin the night before the cruise ends and you won't see them again until they arrive at your home airport. You will get your boarding passes and airline luggage tags delivered to your cabin making the process very smooth. I love that service.

MJ

Last edited:
Just as a note since you expressed how late relatively speaking the resort to port transportation gets you there...

The more people who hold onto all their luggage to store under the bus and check in at the port, the MORE delayed that bus will be as it takes the driver time to store them. It's easy enough to have stuff for the afternoon in a backpack per person (or not even that many really) which can easily be held in your lap on the bus. Heck, you could even wear your swimsuit under your clothes!

DCL bus doesn't pick up at SoG. You have a few options. Some people have had luck reserving and being able to go to the Poly for pickup, but it's hit and miss when this seems to work since you are supposed to be a registered guest at the resort. The other option is to get a ride to the airport and take the DCL bus from there. You could rent a car or hire a car service/shuttle to take you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!