DCL V RC to Alaska

Garyjames220

DIS Veteran
We are planning in doing Alaska in 2020. Done 2 Disney cruise and one planned for next year plus not long off symphony of the seas

Just wanted some advice for a young couple, early 30s, no kids, planning Alaska

Was planning to go with dcl or RC ovation at the seas

Just wanted some advice between the two or from someone that's mybe done both and who u would go with

Thanks

Also I think you can do 11 nights on the ovation of the seas with all inclusive drinks for the same price roughly as Disney of a 7 night plus drinks so wondering if the extra is worth it for less time too

We are planning in doing Alaska in 2020. Done 2 Disney cruise and one planned for next year plus not long off symphony of the seas

Just wanted some advice for a young couple, early 30s, no kids, planning Alaska

Was planning to go with dcl or RC ovation at the seas

Just wanted some advice between the two or from someone that's mybe done both and who u would go with

Thanks
Well, since neither DCL or RCCL have permits for Glacier Bay, itinerary-wise they'd be quite similar. I've not done Alaska on either line, but have done it on Holland America. For the price difference (same cost for 7 night vs 11 nights), I'd give RCCL a shot.

If you're not sold on a bigger, newer RCCL ship, I'd consider one of their north or southbound cruises on their smaller ship (blanking on the name right now, sorry). You'll get to see more ports.

I loved Anthem, her sister ship, and her solarium was my favorite cruise ship feature ever. I was excited to see Ovation in AK, but when I compared her ports and port times with other Seattle options, I made another choice. Ports were more important to me than the ship. DCL wasn't an option due to price, and we will use SW points to fly...so Seattle was our choice. I ultimately chose the Solstice.

If you're not sold on a bigger, newer RCCL ship, I'd consider one of their north or southbound cruises on their smaller ship (blanking on the name right now, sorry). You'll get to see more ports.

Radiance of the Seas usually does that route. She’s a beautiful ship.

I have sailed DCL to Alaska and would not do it again and routinely recommend that others choose a different line when sailing Alaska. DCL is fine, but Alaska prices are high anyway and DCL is outlandish. We will do Alaska again but it would likely be on Princess one way to or from Denali.

We did Alaska on DCL this year, it was a great cruise but we will definitely do either NCL or RCCL the next time we go there. I have some friends that did Norwegian Bliss and said it was the best cruise and ship they’ve ever been on, they’ve sailed RCCL, NCL, Princess, HAL and Celebrity.

By the way, Bliss has a go kart track on the top deck!! I think the Solarium would be a huge positive for Ovation.

Looks like RC ovation of the seas then. Guess 11 nights instead of 7 is a big thing too

Am supprised some people saying they have done Disney but they wouldn’t do it again to Alaska

Looks like RC ovation of the seas then. Guess 11 nights instead of 7 is a big thing too

Am supprised some people saying they have done Disney but they wouldn’t do it again to Alaska
Generally, cruising Alaska is more about the itinerary, and not the ship. DCL is heavily geared toward the ship being the destination. So, DCL often doesn't compare well in Alaska.

The ovation does look a massive and fun ship. Anyone else been on it or it's sister ship been interested to no what u thought of it

I think the issue is that while DCL would be a great cruise to Alaska, is it 50% better than another line, to justify paying the same price for 7 days instead of 11? Most people, even DCL cruisers, would say no. Alaska is about the destination, not as much the ship

I did the same math for our Med cruise and chose MSC instead. A DCL cruise would not have been at least twice as better to justify over twice the cost.

We are also planning on cruising to Alaska in 2020. We have done 8 DCL cruises but I think for the Alaska cruise, we are considering other cruise lines. The Princess being one of them. Keep the info. coming :). Thanks everyone.

Alaska is about the destination, not as much the ship.
That isn't necessarily true. The destination and the ship were equal parts of the trip for us, as half of our cruise was days spent not at ports. For the Alaskan itinerary that I looked at for DCL and other lines (before choosing DCL), there were two days at sea, plus one glacier-viewing day that guests spent onboard. That was three out of the six full days of the cruise we spent onboard. So the quality of the ship & our experiences onboard were an important part of that cruise. It was just like any cruise in that respect. The ports and the scenery were more engaging than on a Caribbean cruise, but the shipboard experience was the same and was equally important as on our other cruises.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter