DCL V RC to Alaska

Agree with @Shanti and that's why we chose DCL for our cruise to Alaska next year, with 3 days at sea I wanted a great kids club because I have two littles, who will be 3 and 7 and still really love the Disney characters. This trip is also replacing the trip to WDW we would have taken next year. When they are both over 12, if we cruise Alaska again, I would consider Princess for the Denali option or National Geographic if we really wanted a small ship, expedition-type experience. I don't find really large ships appealing at all but that's just me.

I'm looking at NCL which is bringing two very new ships to Alaska soon. The Joy and Bliss look very nice. I do worry about the food though as dining is a big part of cruising for me.

I think the issue is that while DCL would be a great cruise to Alaska, is it 50% better than another line, to justify paying the same price for 7 days instead of 11? Most people, even DCL cruisers, would say no. Alaska is about the destination, not as much the ship

I did the same math for our Med cruise and chose MSC instead. A DCL cruise would not have been at least twice as better to justify over twice the cost.

Yeah that’s true. Plus we would probably wait and try and get the free all inslusive drinks deals which would save us 1000 plus

What’s the weather normally like in may

I mean what do people do I sea days. Is it to cold to be going in the swimming pools and lying outside etc

Iv only done cruises in hot weather really, so don’t no what to expect

What’s the weather normally like in may

I mean what do people do I sea days. Is it to cold to be going in the swimming pools and lying outside etc

Iv only done cruises in hot weather really, so don’t no what to expect
Yeah that’s true. Plus we would probably wait and try and get the free all inslusive drinks deals which would save us 1000 plus
Royal Caribbean offers drink packages, but I haven’t seen them offer FREE all-
inclusive deals. You might be thinking of NCL.

I know Radiance of the Seas has a covered pool in the Solarium, but don’t know offhand about Ovation. It will be cold in May when you’re on an outside deck while the shop is moving. However, there should be plenty of indoor activities on sea days.

As I said in my previous post - the 11-night cruise on Ovation might be a one-time only itinerary. I was on a 9-night Radiance of the Seas cruise in May 2017 (also the first cruise of the season), and that itinerary was not repeated in 2018. Spend the next few months learning about the ships, but you’ll have to wait several months at a minimum until the 2020 Alaska cruises are available to book.

Royal Caribbean offers drink packages, but I haven’t seen them offer FREE all-
inclusive deals. You might be thinking of NCL.

I know Radiance of the Seas has a covered pool in the Solarium, but don’t know offhand about Ovation. It will be cold in May when you’re on an outside deck while the shop is moving. However, there should be plenty of indoor activities on sea days.

As I said in my previous post - the 11-night cruise on Ovation might be a one-time only itinerary. I was on a 9-night Radiance of the Seas cruise in May 2017 (also the first cruise of the season), and that itinerary was not repeated in 2018. Spend the next few months learning about the ships, but you’ll have to wait several months at a minimum until the 2020 Alaska cruises are available to book.

We just got off the symphony of the seas last week and the offer we got was free premium drinks package and 50% off the second person. This offer is normally out for a few months of the year here in the UK not sure if it's different in USA but we have had that offer already and it's out now for next year too

So do not many people go swimming, go to the solarium etc on sea days as it would be to cold

We sailed the Celebrity Millenium Northbound for our Alaska cruise. The main reasons we did not choose Disney were:
  • Itinerary - we wanted a northbound one-way cruise to be able to spend time in Anchorage and Denali.
  • Ship-board amenities - we had included drinks for 3, unlimited internet, OBC, and the ship has a enclosed solarium pool as well as a forward viewing lounge for relaxing and watching the scenery.
  • Price - we had an oceanview for less than the price of a DCL interior - including the stateroom perks listed above.
  • Smoking policy and service - Reviews of Celebrity seemed to indicate they were the the most Disney-like in those regards in comparison to other mass market cruise lines.
We have a teenager, so the kids clubs weren't really that important - but they seemed popular with the kids and well-attended. While the itinerary we chose does not include Glacier Bay, we were fine with that as it fit best into our schedule - Celebrity does usually have a couple of cruises a year that do include Glacier Bay. Our Hubbard day was awesome, and both the forward viewing lounge and the large aft buffet were great places to stay warm and watch the glacier.

In May, I personally think it's a little too chilly to swim, although we certainly saw people enjoying the pools. We did Alaska fairly early on in May and still wore rain jackets and thin layers to stay warm (I noticed some people wearing winter parkas, which seemed extreme, but then, we are from BC, Canada).

We just got off the symphony of the seas last week and the offer we got was free premium drinks package and 50% off the second person. This offer is normally out for a few months of the year here in the UK not sure if it's different in USA but we have had that offer already and it's out now for next year too

So do not many people go swimming, go to the solarium etc on sea days as it would be to cold
Your drink package may have been specifically targeted for UK citizens, as I havent noticed it on my RCI cruises. On the other hand - I don't drink, so I don't look for specials on alcohol.

The Solarium is warm, so yes -people do use that pool in cold climates. A few brave souls even use the hot tubs on the outside decks! :eek:

We sailed the Celebrity Millenium Northbound for our Alaska cruise. The main reasons we did not choose Disney were:
  • Itinerary - we wanted a northbound one-way cruise to be able to spend time in Anchorage and Denali.
  • Ship-board amenities - we had included drinks for 3, unlimited internet, OBC, and the ship has a enclosed solarium pool as well as a forward viewing lounge for relaxing and watching the scenery.
  • Price - we had an oceanview for less than the price of a DCL interior - including the stateroom perks listed above.
  • Smoking policy and service - Reviews of Celebrity seemed to indicate they were the the most Disney-like in those regards in comparison to other mass market cruise lines.
We have a teenager, so the kids clubs weren't really that important - but they seemed popular with the kids and well-attended. While the itinerary we chose does not include Glacier Bay, we were fine with that as it fit best into our schedule - Celebrity does usually have a couple of cruises a year that do include Glacier Bay. Our Hubbard day was awesome, and both the forward viewing lounge and the large aft buffet were great places to stay warm and watch the glacier.
Celebrity and Royal Caribbean do not have permits to go to Glacier Bay. Both go to either Hubbard Glacier or Tracy Arm Fjord (or Endicott Arm, when Tracy Arm is iced out).

Since you mentioned Celebrity, the Eclipse has a nice 10-night itinerary for its first cruise in May 2019. Again - that doesn't necessarily mean the same itinerary will be offered in 2020: https://www.celebritycruises.com/it...geID=EC10A016&sDT=2019-05-09&cCD=CO&aCB=false

Last edited:
We did Alaska on DCL this year, it was a great cruise but we will definitely do either NCL or RCCL the next time we go there. I have some friends that did Norwegian Bliss and said it was the best cruise and ship they’ve ever been on, they’ve sailed RCCL, NCL, Princess, HAL and Celebrity.

By the way, Bliss has a go kart track on the top deck!! I think the Solarium would be a huge positive for Ovation.

So funny to read this. I'm usually the first one jumping ship (no pun intended) to another cruise line (always RCI Oasis class). We LOVE the big ships but I hated our Bliss cruise this year. I'm not a fan of NCL at all (went with extended family who are big NCL fans). There were no kid friendly shows and very, very, very few kid/family activities. Weather was kind of crappy/rainy and we couldn't get into see the glaciers (not NCL's fault, I know). Hate the set up of the atrium in the middle of all the noise/people. How they have activities going on there is beyond me. I couldn't wait to get off that ship. (Only exception was that the food was actually good.)

We did DCL Alaska in 2015 and have it booked again for next year. We had an amazing time and would highly recommend to others. The facilities and schedule suit our family and the Disney experience is superb.
That being said when our daughter is a little older I have no doubt we will sail on another line to be able to experience an alternate itinerary and see more of the beautiful state. I think it depends on your circumstances - we have been ‘happy’ to pay the price tag because it ticks our boxes now.
I’ll be even happier to pay a lesser price tag in the future though to experience something different.

We have done Alaska on DCL twice and would like to do it again in 2020. We absolutely loved it! I do agree that with Alaska, a lot of it is about the scenery but for us it's also about the disney experience and service. We keep talking about trying another cruise line and just can't pull the trigger. I'm afraid I will regret it and wish we would have done DCL. We are nearing the end of one our kids living at home and I would hate to regret a vacation. In the summer of 2020, our oldest DD will be starting her senior year. sniff sniff

And that's why it's great we all have choices. ;) I should have said "Alaska is all about the destination for me." What's important is different for everyone.

I feel this way about the Med/Baltic cruises too. It's all about the destination for us!

So would u be able to sit in the solerium all day on royal in Alaska and lie there, use hot tubs etc or would it be to cold

Looks like there would be nice views from there

So would u be able to sit in the solerium all day on royal in Alaska and lie there, use hot tubs etc or would it be to cold

Looks like there would be nice views from there
I haven't been on the Ovation. However, the Solarium on Radiance was plenty warm in Alaska.

I haven't been on the Ovation. However, the Solarium on Radiance was plenty warm in Alaska.

Yeah I think it's quite enclosed, so U don't feel the cold air as much mybe ?

Were people in there swimming stuff on it when u were there

Yeah I think it's quite enclosed, so U don't feel the cold air as much mybe ?

Were people in there swimming stuff on it when u were there
When the roof is closed, it can be warm and humid. Yes, I saw people in the Solarium pool.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter