DCL vs. RCCL Comparison by Category

MissDaisyofTexas

DIS Veteran
Hi--After 7 cruises on DCL (including one in January 2019), my family just went on our first cruise on RCCL's Anthem of the Seas a few weeks ago. Overall, we had a great time.

I wrote a post comparing some major categories on both cruise lines based on our experience. The kids' club was our biggest disappointment. My tween and teen boys had a blast, but my 8-year-old daughter was a little lost.

We hope to sail on Oasis of the Seas in 2021, as well as intermittent cruises on DCL again.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Here is the post:
https://milesforfamily.com/2019/06/19/dcl-vs-rccl-comparison-by-category/

Thank you for this. We are going to try the Horizon in 2021 after only sailing with DCL. With the prices of DCL and both my kids are adults, RCCL and what the ships have, is becoming more interesting to us.

Great report. Couple of thoughts:
- You should mention that you did MTD instead of traditional. Traditional dining would guarantee that you had the same wait staff for dinner. I don't think this takes away from your dining room comparison though. Just something that should be noted.
- The ice cream stations really should be open later on Royal. Sometimes you want a slice and a soft serve at 11pm.
- Really hoping that the App chat feature is enabled on Indy next January. I don't mind going low tech with the magnetic whiteboard, but chat would be very convenient. Maybe Royal can team up with WhatsApp or another provider to create a branded chat app.
- Kind of surprised you preferred Royal's adult area to Disney's. But maybe Anthem is more restrictive in letting kids in. On Allure and Harmony, Solarium Bistro was open to all so kids are always on the periphery, at a minimum.

Great report. Couple of thoughts:
- You should mention that you did MTD instead of traditional. Traditional dining would guarantee that you had the same wait staff for dinner. I don't think this takes away from your dining room comparison though. Just something that should be noted.
- The ice cream stations really should be open later on Royal. Sometimes you want a slice and a soft serve at 11pm.
- Really hoping that the App chat feature is enabled on Indy next January. I don't mind going low tech with the magnetic whiteboard, but chat would be very convenient. Maybe Royal can team up with WhatsApp or another provider to create a branded chat app.
- Kind of surprised you preferred Royal's adult area to Disney's. But maybe Anthem is more restrictive in letting kids in. On Allure and Harmony, Solarium Bistro was open to all so kids are always on the periphery, at a minimum.
Thanks for your feedback.

I didn't get to spend too much time in the Solarium, but I never saw any kids in there. The area was just so much bigger than the adult pool area on DCL.

Fingers crossed that the Royal App gets on board with free texting soon.

Hi--After 7 cruises on DCL (including one in January 2019), my family just went on our first cruise on RCCL's Anthem of the Seas a few weeks ago. Overall, we had a great time.

I wrote a post comparing some major categories on both cruise lines based on our experience. The kids' club was our biggest disappointment. My tween and teen boys had a blast, but my 8-year-old daughter was a little lost.

We hope to sail on Oasis of the Seas in 2021, as well as intermittent cruises on DCL again.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Here is the post:
https://milesforfamily.com/2019/06/19/dcl-vs-rccl-comparison-by-category/

Thank you.

For me, it's already a tie between DCL and Carnival but the more reviews and comparison I see/read, the more I think that RCCL may eventually win over the two others. :love:

We just got back off the Oasis 7 night western Med. in August we are on the 7 night eastern caribbean Fantasy. We have only down the 4 night Dream. My plan is to do a comprehensive comparision report too when we get back off the Fabtasy. But here are my initial comments

1. Oasis is huge and does feel larger than the Dream. Mainly on the width. When on the pool deck you really noticed how wide it is. I am also certain the hallways are wider. They felt much more roomy than the Dream. Though it’s crazy you never felt all the people. Even on Sea day. Only exception was lines for breakfast ( most likely as we all got the same 8 am wake up call via captain looking for a pax announcement).
2. Pool area much larger! More and bigger pools. Always multiple chairs avail. DCL sucks here. Pools tiny and always kids soup. Oasis offers more tondrive people away from pools. Surf, zip etc.
3. Solarium is awesome!!! Puts DCL to shame. All this “ But DCL is strict on kids only” pleae. I maybe saw one kid ( tween) in there and yes my kids had dinner there. So if seeing kids through glass walls in a separate closed off space is an issue for you IMO you have bigger issues. DCL you have kids constantly walking through. Solarium is HUGE had multiple couches ( dream had like 4?) and larger pool area.

4. DCL staff seem happier more „have a magical day“ now if this is authentic who knows. We liked our room steward on the Oasis much more than DCL. He was awesome. Wait staff DCL better.
5. we preferred DCL MDR food but looved Solarium dinner. We ate there 3x quick service Oasis much better, more options. Pizza we loved and Sorentos has an antipasto bar too

6. Dream had a more we are on a boat feeling. You see more outside. Oasis more Vegas Hotel feeling. Both on same level for cleaniness.
7. we hated Cats ( storyline NOT the theatrics) but all other shows Oasis we felt were better than Dream. Yes I said that! With the exception of Beauty /Beast we found the other DCL shows corney example „Dream“ we rolled our eyes . My kids were 13/11. now 12/14. the aqua show Oasis amazing. We saw it 3x. Ice show great and the others.

In the end my kids thought DCL was „classier“ but loved Oasis. Let‘s see what they say when we get back off the Fantasy.

Last edited:
We just got back off the Oasis 7 night western Med. in August we are on the 7 night eastern caribbean Fantasy. We have only down the 4 night Dream. My plan is to do a comprehensive comparision report too when we get back off the Fabtasy. But here are my initial comments

1. Oasis is huge and does feel larger than the Dream. Mainly on the width. When on the pool deck you really noticed how wide it is. I am also certain the hallways are wider. They felt much more roomy than the Dream. Though it’s crazy you never felt all the people. Even on Sea day. Only exception was lines for breakfast ( most likely as we all got the same 8 am wake up call via captain looking for a pax announcement).
2. Pool area much larger! More and bigger pools. Always multiple chairs avail. DCL sucks here. Pools tiny and always kids soup. Oasis offers more tondrive people away from pools. Surf, zip etc.
3. Solarium is awesome!!! Puts DCL to shame. All this “ But DCL is strict on kids only” pleae. I maybe saw one kid ( tween) in there and yes my kids had dinner there. So if seeing kids through glass walls in a separate closed off space is an issue for you IMO you have bigger issues. DCL you have kids constantly walking through. Solarium is HUGE had multiple couches ( dream had like 4?) and larger pool area.

4. DCL staff seem happier more „have a magical day“ now if this is authentic who knows. We liked our room steward on the Oasis much more than DCL. He was awesome. Wait staff DCL better.
5. we preferred DCL MDR food but looved Solarium dinner. We ate there 3x quick service Oasis much better, more options. Pizza we loved and Sorentos has an antipasto bar too

6. Dream had a more we are on a boat feeling. You see more outside. Oasis more Vegas Hotel feeling. Both on same level for cleaniness.
7. we hated Cats ( storyline NOT the theatrics) but all other shows Oasis we felt were better than Dream. Yes I said that! With the exception of Beauty /Beast we found the other DCL shows corney example „Dream“ we rolled our eyes . My kids were 13/11. now 12/14. the aqua show Oasis amazing. We saw it 3x. Ice show great and the others.

In the end my kids thought DCL was „classier“ but loved Oasis. Let‘s see what they say when we get back off the Fantasy.
Thanks for your thoughts on the Oasis!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter