DCL

In 2016, I did a three day cruise to get discount for future cruise and to kill 3 days during change over from Halloween to Christmas in the parks. I enjoyed myself. I am an earlier riser so I did not have to worry about making noise waking anyone up. I was not on a need to be at "x" to meet up with anyone at certain time. I normally would not do character photos, but I enjoyed the hunt to get all the characters. My room stayed orderly (not cluttered), no tripping over other's shoes if you know what I mean. I had no problems with dining. I was seated with other singles or friends sharing the cruise at a six top table. It apparently bothered a family of three as they only showed up for 1 meal and kept to themselves. I would do it again in a heartbeat except for being charged for double occupancy. As for tips, I really do not have any to offer. Just enjoy doing what you want when you want. You will be treated the same as any other family on board.

I did a solo Marvel Day at Sea cruise in 2018 - the link to the trip report is in my signature in case you find that helpful.

I had a great time! It was a much more relaxing trip than WDW, but I never felt like I was at a loose end or didn't have enough to keep me occupied. I didn't really do any port excursions so I can't speak for that part, but my most relaxing day was a port day, when most of the other guests were off the ship. I found it much easier to strike up conversations with other guests than I do when solo at many other locations, as you'll see the same people again and again. Within the first day I'd found another solo who also enjoyed bingo, and we sat together at every game. At one point a family invited me to sit in a seat that had been left empty between them and another family in the theater because they recognized me from a previous day. It was all very friendly.

As for tips:
  • Be aware of what is and is not included. Generally speaking, any packaged food or alcohol is an upcharge. Also, there are standard tips that automatically charge to your room at the end of the cruise, so be sure to budget for that.
  • Bingo costs extra and will get expensive very fast.
  • You will almost certainly be seated with other people at dinner. I was seated with one other solo at a two top and my bingo buddy was seated alone for lack of anyone to put her with (we dined at different times), but I've heard of solos being seated with two or three sets of couples. From what I've read, they'll match you with guests who don't have children; they tend to match families with other families and adults-only groups with other adults-only groups.
    • You can request a table by yourself before you go, and from what I've read those requests do tend to be honored. Just be aware that it's also possible to switch tables after the first night if you absolutely can't stand your tablemates--you may have to change dining rotations and/or seating times, but you're not trapped! That was what gave me the confidence to roll the dice and let them give me whatever seating assignment they would, and I ended up having a wonderful time talking with my tablemate each night.
  • If they offer a Cruisin' Solo lunch on the first full day that's a nice way to meet other solos, but it's also a chance to chat with a crew member about their job, since there's always a crew member assigned to the solo lunch to make sure the conversation keeps moving.
  • If you choose to decorate your stateroom door, don't put anything on the outside of your door you would be heartbroken to lose. I did not lose any decorations, and I think my experience is the norm, but others have sometimes had magnets stolen from their doors.

I've done at least eight or nine solo Disney Cruises including a specialty cruise, a maiden voyage, a back to back cruise, and two transatlantic cruises. I've also done four or five solo cruises on other cruise lines. Obviously I love to cruise and I'm okay with being alone. I have always requested my own table and received it (I prefer to be alone than to be forced (in my opinion) to socialize with other adults). If you are planning on booking a cruise with DCL book as early as possible to get the best deal on your stateroom because you'll end up paying 200% of the cruise cost (essentially paying for second person even though you are sailing alone) so the less expensive stateroom you can obtain the more money you will save. DCL is my preferred cruise line but if you are more into the destination and/or ports you might want to consider a different cruise line to save money. Some cruise lines offer single staterooms so you don't have to pay those additional occupancy fees (I'm hoping DCL will offer single staterooms with their new ships but there is no guarantee). As a solo cruiser you can be as social or non-social as you want to be. There is always stuff to do or do nothing and just relax. Personally I don't do the solo lunch or other solo meetings because of my personal preferences but I do like to go scuba diving and try to do that at each port. They are other things you need to be aware of for any cruise such as what is included and not included in your cruise price; port adventures, mandatory tips, cruise insurance (especially if you are solo), etc. If you have any specific questions just asks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter