DD just broke her foot - anyone ever NOT been able to get a wheelchair at WDW resort?

bjakmom

DIS Veteran
So much valuable info here ! - I've been trying to decide the best way to handle DDs broken foot on our trip 6 weeks from now. She will have her regular cast removed and walking cast on (hopefully) just before we leave. Fortunately we have a few adults along as she is also bringing her DD (2)- so plenty of help for pushing both a wheelchair and a stroller! She does not want an ECV, but just a standard wheel chair. She will certainly be able to wait in regular lines and transfer to rides - just won't be able to risk putting the kind of stress on a healing break that walking the parks all day would cause.

We are staying at BWV and I will be checking in early in the day before they all arrive - has anyone ever not been able to get a wheelchair at a resort? I'd just like to request one there that we can keep for the week. TIA for any help and advice !

If it were me I would put your request in now for the wheelchair so it should be available and ready for your use when you arrive. I hope this helps.

Becky

ReAnSt said:
If it were me I would put your request in now for the wheelchair so it should be available and ready for your use when you arrive. I hope this helps.
Becky

Wheelchairs are first come, first served. I would recommend renting on from off site. I have had instances where I could not get a manual wheelchair on arriving at the parks and had to wait for one to be returned. It is risky.

I was once unable to get one at POR and was told first come, first served and that they were out of their allotment. Don't know if it's worth taking a chance or not as it sounds like she really needs to have one. Kathy

I've never rented a wheelchair at WDW. In your situation, I would not hesitate to just rent one for use 24/7 while in FL. That way you will have whenever & wherever you want.

I think you might be better off having one delivered to your resort for the week. One reason is you will most likely be provided with one with better padding for the rump than the well used ones on property. AND if you need to keep that foot elevated you will need a chair with a foot and leg support rest that lifts. The chairs that Disney provide usually just have a little foot step that you may not be able to lift up if needed. If you are traveling a long distance and think you will have long waits in airports, you may consider renting one from home at a local medical supply company and taking it with you.

Yes, I have heard of people who were not able to get one lent by their resort. The loaned ones from the resorts can't be requested ahead of time.

Since it's first come, first serve, it just depends on what requests they got before you arrived. Someone also posted recently that they were lent a wheelchair from the resort, but since there was a lot of demand, they were told they could only have it for a few days, instead of their whole stay. Another possibility people have posted about is the resort having a wheelchair, but not an appropriate one for the person (such as extra wide, when they needed narrow, and vice versa).

If you do decide to see if the resort will lend a wheelchair, I'd suggest taking contact information for several places that rent wheelchairs. That way, you do have at least a chance of an alternative besides the parks.
The contact phone numbers are available in the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of this board.

Thanks for all the replies ! I will definitely go to the FAQs stickey and make some calls tomorrow and have a wheelchair delivered to the resort - I will definitely want it available for her 24/7 during our trip - and I hadn't even thought that we will need it at USF when we move over there for our last weekend. I need to know my 'girl' will be as comfortable as I can make her - she's looked forward to this trip for a long time - I knew you guys would know what to do ! :smooth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter