DDA Chapter 27

Same lottery situation for Lizzy. She too is going into a 4 bedroom apartment. She has a friend from club hockey last year (she didn't play this year) and that girl's roommate both current sophomores like Lizzy. The 3 of them are joined by another club hockey player who is a current junior so had the higher lottery number. They got one of the last 2 apartments. Great thing is since 3 of them will be juniors next year if they stick together they can keep the apartment without having to do the lottery.

I was surprised there was such a high demand for on campus apartments. A private company opened really nice apartments right near the school with a shuttle bus to school and they are cheaper. Not an option for Lizzy because about half of her scholarship requires she lives on campus but most of her scholarship is due to her being out of state so most of the kids wouldn't lose anywhere near as much as she would since most are NY residents.

Hello Bernadette! Long time not hearing from you. Glad the kids are doing well. College is such an interesting 4 or more years with lots of ups and downs. Nick had an on campus apartment his last year and he really started enjoying college and making more friends. We have all the boys home now. Nick has paid off all of his college loans and is working full time. Hunter is working full time and talking about taking more online classes. He's taken the last year off, which has really been good for him. Colby is a sophomore and is finally settling into being back in Vermont. We are heading to Orlando this summer as he misses his florida friends and wants to hang out with them.

Hi Deb!
Great to hear from you!

Congrats to Nick!

Emma is saying she doesn’t want to go to college. They put so much pressure on the kids at school & lots of the kids think if you don’t get into an Ivy or top rated school why bother. We’ve never put that pressure on our kids so I’m surprised she’s let that attitude some have at her school influence her. I think she’d get a lot out of going away. She’s still got 2 years so we’ll see where she ends up. She has expressed some interest in repairing musical instruments. I found a technical school in MN not too far from her cousin that offers an associates degree in that but it’s not a residential school.

Bernadette, the school (public high school) here doesn't put that kind of pressure on the kids, but the other kids sure do! All three of mine were heavily questioned and sometimes derided for their decisions to attend SUNY schools. For Miles, even after some pretty nice scholarships, RIT and Clarkson would have cost more than $70,000 above SUNY. Miles lost a friend over the whole thing along with some other senior year grade-related stuff. She became insufferable. It made my stubborn kids dig in harder, but I can see how it would have the opposite effect, too, especially if she's interested in a more non-traditional major. Miles puts too much pressure on himself as it is, so I don't think he would be healthy/thriving in an Ivy League environment.

This year they stopped having kids hang up acceptance letters at school. That put pressure on the kids. Lizzy would only hang up Penn State even though she didn’t want to go there. Still the kids all knew where kids applied & who gets in where. Joe doesn’t care about peer pressure at all.

I’m surprised it’s influenced Emma. She doesn’t care about peer pressure either. I think it’s that she doesn’t know what she wants. I try to tell her that she can go in undecided but she doesn’t like that. She’s really strong in Biology but got a really tough teacher in honors bio so now she says she’s no good. That class was Lizzy’s only C and Emma got an A- so I don’t know why she’s saying that. She loves animals. She doesn’t want to be a vet. I think she would be awesome training service animals but she says no.

The SUNY schools are great and such a great value. Lizzy is doing really well at Oswego. I feel bad not visiting UB but I just don’t think Joe will thrive at such a big school. The out of state premium there is much higher than Oswego and Joes merit was less. Clarkson is more but not as much more as it would be for a ny resident.

Joe is a perfectionist that makes him procrastinate. I think he really needs the small school to stay more accountable. Clarkson also seems to have a lot of services to keep kids on track & make sure they graduate on time. They also have a very strong outdoor club. I think joe being involved in outside activities will help motivate to do well scholastically.

How time has just flown by! All these beautiful kids were just little ones “yesterday”. I have enjoyed reading back a few pages to catch up.

Ellie is a Senior as of the 1st of April, she finished her classes early and wanted to jump start her senior year. She should be done round Thanksgiving or so. What are her plans after that???? No clue! She wants to go to the local community college just to start the process of college, but she has no path planned. At one point she thought about cosmetology just to have a job while she figured out what she wants. That fell aside shortly after she thought about it. She gave some thought the Air Force and we have no idea if she still wants to do that. We do no care what she does as long as she is a productive member of society.

Elizabeth finished her freshmen year last month and is doing a summer class so her next year is a bit lighter. She is currently looking at digital art as a career field and has been working on her own designs. We are not sure if she will change her mind or not.

Outside of that Orlando is treating us well. We have AP’s for WDW and enjoy going in for a few hours here and there.

Hi Paula!
Great to hear about the girls!

How do you like living in Orlando?

Joe committed to Clarkson! It really seems like the perfect fit for him.

We are doing well, thanks! Miss you guys, too!
DH & I are headed to WDW on Saturday. DS moved to Kissimmee at the end of February but we aren't sure how long that will last. We miss him tons, so can't wait to see him.
Have a great trip! Normally I would be there that same week but I didn't book a birthday trip this year with Joe's college search I just wasn't sure when I would need vacation time. Next year I'll have DVC points I have to use.

We're thinking about a trip to Alaska-meet Joe for his trip home. I would say family trip but Lizzy will be working. Not sure if things will work out for that or not.

What's DS doing in Kissimmee? Does he want to work at WDW?

Have a great trip! Normally I would be there that same week but I didn't book a birthday trip this year with Joe's college search I just wasn't sure when I would need vacation time. Next year I'll have DVC points I have to use.

We're thinking about a trip to Alaska-meet Joe for his trip home. I would say family trip but Lizzy will be working. Not sure if things will work out for that or not.

What's DS doing in Kissimmee? Does he want to work at WDW?

It would have been fun to see you!!

DS moved out there to be with his girlfriend, but the reality is not as rosy as the theory. So we'll see. He is currently working PT at the outlet mall. He has gone to some auditions but I honestly think he may not stay long term unless something changes drastically.

Hi All.
I was hoping someone could design an invite for my 2 kiddos Claire and William on 2/23/2020 breakfast at Disney Junior Play ‘n Dine at Hollywood & Vine. Fancy Nancy, Vampirina, Doc McStuffins and Roadster Racer Goofy are the characters that will be present.

Hi All.
I was hoping someone could design an invite for my 2 kiddos Claire and William on 2/23/2020 breakfast at Disney Junior Play ‘n Dine at Hollywood & Vine. Fancy Nancy, Vampirina, Doc McStuffins and Roadster Racer Goofy are the characters that will be present.
No one really posts on this thread anymore and most of us from this thread no longer design. You should start a thread in the Creative DISigns forum asking for what you need or look in there for some current designers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!