• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

DDP too late to get good reservations

H.Richburg

Earning My Ears
We are arriving at SSR on Sunday, April 30th for 5 nights. We are staying in a studio without a kitchen so we figured it might be worth considering the DDP. As DVC owners we can purchase the DDP within one day of our arrival. However, is it too late to get dinner reservations at the better restaurants? Since we are relying on teh bus system, my fear is that our vacation might be controlled by what restaurant we have to travel to for dinner. How much advnace notice do you typically need to get into downtown disney (Capt Jacks, Wold Gang Puck, etc) or world show case restaurants at Epcot (ie Le Cellier, France, etc)

Thoughts/comments?

My trip last month was planned at the last minute. I made our ADRs less than 2 weeks before we got there.

Fantasmic Dinner Package - I asked for MM and was told that there was no availability at all. Next I asked for H&V, but also no availability. Both restaurants had a couple of lunch seatings available, but I was only interested in the Fantasmic package, so I passed.

Sci-Fi - Totally booked up, but they told me they could split the family up into two cars (in the back seats of cars which already had a couple in the front). The only time slot available (even with splitting up the family) was 11:10am. I took it, knowing full well that they would never split up a mother and two children once we arrived. Sure enough, everything went smoothly and we got our own car.

Whispering Canyon Cafe - booked solid

Coral Reef - managed to get a 12:45pm lunch cancellation. Otherwise, no time slots available.

Crystal Palace - I took the only time slot available, which was 7:40pm. It was a little later than I wanted, but beggars can't be choosers.

Le Cellier - Booked solid

My ADRs were during Spring Break, so you actually might have a little more luck than I did. In addition, I checked on some of the more popular restaurants...my guess is that some of the less popular restaurants will still have slots available.

First, are you sure you can purchase DDP within one day of arrival? We were told 5 days, but that was a few months ago.

Secondly, we have gotten ADRs from our phone at Saratoga....and once from the phone by the pool...for that night. The real answer is that it depends on how many in your party, what restaurants you consider "good," and how picky you are about times. The concierge desk at Saratoga can also help you. But if you have time, call ahead.

Captain Jack's doesn't take ADR...it is walk in only. As to the others, rank them in order of how much you want to go there, and call today. Ask for your first choice for any night during your trip...and work your way thru the list. If you can't get things that you are happy about, you can cancel the lot and not purchase the dining plan or keep those that you are happy with and decide whether or not to buy the plan.

I changed some of my bookings at 30 days out and still got what I wanted at great times.

If you don't get the dining plan and can't get reservations at your first choices what will you do? Eat CS? Eat in your room? Ask and find a TS restaurant that has availability?

As long as you're planning on eating, on average, 1 TS (lunch or dinner) meal per day the plan works. I wouldn't count on getting Le Cellier, CRT or CM but if you're flexible you should be able to get some restaurants on your list.

formernyer said:
...I made our ADRs less than 2 weeks before we got there.... no availability at all. ... no availability. ... Totally booked up ... The only time slot available ... was 11:10am. ... booked solid ... managed to get a 12:45pm lunch cancellation. Otherwise, no time slots available. ... I took the only time slot available, which was 7:40pm. ... Booked solid
This empirical data is perhaps the most valuable information for folks deciding whether or not they really need to make ADRs. Thanks for sharing...

kcashner said:
First, are you sure you can purchase DDP within one day of arrival? We were told 5 days
We were told 5 days as well, though I believe they can do it as late as 3 days prior to check-in.

kcashner said:
First, are you sure you can purchase DDP within one day of arrival? We were told 5 days, but that was a few months ago.

Iwas told by one CM in March that as long as I called before checking in I could add the dining plan to my DVC reservation. She even said that I could call when I got to the airport. Today I was told that I should try to call at least a day before but that I could get it as long as I called before I got to the resort.

Why not just call tonight or tomorrow and see if you can get what you want? You don't have to be on the plan to make a reservation. If you get stuff you want then great. If you can't then don't buy the plan.

I'd be sure to get things like that in writing. Since so many people have been told 5 days and 3 days, don't take a chance that you'll call from the airport and be turned down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter