DDP vs AP/DVC Dining Discount

bjarnich

Earning My Ears
I want to do the math but I'm hoping one of you already has lol if you order the same food on the DDP as you would if you paid out of pocket and received the AP/DVC dining discount, which works out to be cheaper? I understand there's a set value you pay per credit and you have to order more expensive menu items to "max" out the value of each credit, but in the end is the AP/DVC dining discount better?

IIRC from things I have read here a lot of people say the discounts are better. As you said you have to get the expensive things. Also one things that gets forgotten about with the DDP are all the snacks you are entitled too. A lot of people end up rushing around to buy snacks to take home the last couple days of their trip.

There are a few Disney Dining Cals to help.

Here is one
https://www.distripplanner.com/

Don't forget you can also pay for you dining (or DDP) using a DGC that you get at a discount at places like Target etc. so you can add that into any savings.

I don't think any of us can do it for you as we don't know where or what you would want to eat. Most of the time, Disney is going to come out ahead on the DDP. Generally, if you would always order the most expensive entree and most expensive alcoholic drink allowed at a TS meal and an alcoholic beverage and the most expensive menu item at QS - every time, you may come out slightly ahead or break even. If you eat as you normally would, probably not.

Last edited:
For us, the DDP is too much time worrying about what we're eating and making sure we get what we paid for. DVC/AP discounts, we just worry about remembering to ask for it when we pay the check! We feel the discounts are a better value for us - but not sure I could prove it one way or the other. But we never felt the DDP was a good value - for us.

I find that the DDP in theory seems great, but can end up being too much food and time spent worrying about getting what you pay for. For my trips, I put all my food money on a Disney GC and spend from there, you can at least get 5% off just getting GC's from Target. I will usually estimate the most expensive meal at each place we are going to eat at and then anything left over at end of the trip can be used for souvenirs or towards your next trip.

I spent a LOT of time looking at prices and restaurants for our upcoming trip. We are changing resorts after 4 nights so could do it for our first part.

Unlike in previous years, the margins were too slim and not worth being locked into. We are a party of 5 - 3 adults and 2 children.

So all of us have discounts and can eat separately if we choose. The other plus, getting a free mug doesn't work either as none of us drink soda and only two drink coffee in the morning.

I also recently read that they no longer allow to cash out a meal for snacks. I haven't verified that one.

I believe most will be ahead using discounts combined with a discounted Disney gift card.

I find that the DDP in theory seems great, but can end up being too much food and time spent worrying about getting what you pay for. For my trips, I put all my food money on a Disney GC and spend from there, you can at least get 5% off just getting GC's from Target. I will usually estimate the most expensive meal at each place we are going to eat at and then anything left over at end of the trip can be used for souvenirs or towards your next trip.

Your post gives me an idea. I always keep my record of what I'm spending on my trip and salt away all receipts. It's a really old habit from back when I had to actually budget for family trips. Most of my trips are single or with another adult paying for their own. But this one coming up is pretty much my treat.

So, I'll make a spreadsheet of DDP cost, and what we actually choose and spend on as we are definitely not buying it.

Unlike in previous years, the margins were too slim and not worth being locked into. We are a party of 5 - 3 adults and 2 children.
Are those 2 Children, what Disney considers a child between 3-9?

If older than you are paying for Alcohol on their plans.

We usually do table services and a lot of time our choices turn out to be 2 dining credit locations.
For us the discount is the best option even though there is not a discount on alcohol now that TIW is gone.

I spent a LOT of time looking at prices and restaurants for our upcoming trip. We are changing resorts after 4 nights so could do it for our first part.

So all of us have discounts and can eat separately if we choose. The other plus, getting a free mug doesn't work either as none of us drink soda and only two drink coffee in the morning.

I also recently read that they no longer allow to cash out a meal for snacks. I haven't verified that one.

I believe most will be ahead using discounts combined with a discounted Disney gift card.
This is correct, you can no longer redeem a QS credit for 3 snacks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter