DDP worth it when gluten free?

tinkerbell070406

Earning My Ears
Hello! My daughter and I are traveling to Disney World next month. I added the table service dining plan, but I need to know if it’s worth it when I am gluten-free. We are doing a split stay at the Polynesian and OKW or Beach Club villas (haven’t decided between the last two yet).
Thank you!

It's not worth it financially, even if not gluten free, it's now just for convenience. I did the full service plan once a long time ago and we said we'd never do it again. It felt like all we were doing was chasing reservations. We couldn't really enjoy the parks like we wanted because we felt we always had to change our plans or not do something when we wanted because we had to make it to a restaurant for a meal (and most were just mediocre). Unless you are planning on drinking a lot of alcohol and eating at the most expensive restaurants and ordering the most expensive entrees, it's not worth it. You are better off paying on your own, it will cost you less and it's just as convenient to scan your magic band or key card and charge it back to your room. Or buy Disney gift cards in advance for your food budget. Disney is good at accommodating gluten free requests, however these items don't tend to be the higher priced items on the menus a lot of the time. Worth is going to depend on the reason you are purchasing the plan. To save money, no.

Last edited:
It's not worth it financially if even if not gluten free, it's now just for convenience.
THIS, a thousand times THIS!

As far as gluten-free, DDP or not won't make much of any difference: you can be confident that at any TS restaurant, you can speak with the chef to find out what gluten-free options they have, and that at CS restaurants, there will be an allergy-friendly menu available to consult.

Now, for the money: I've done the math after our last two trips, and even though we eat wherever we want (including signatures and dinner shows like Hoop-De-Doo), and order whatever meals, beverages, and snacks we want (including steak and seafood), my family of four (with both kids considered Disney "adults" for DDP pricing purposes) saves at least 30% on our dining costs by NOT purchasing the DDP. The only time the DDP would ever be financially worth it for us would be if we got it for "free" as part of a special offer that didn't require us to upgrade our intended room and tickets. (I should add that my daughter is a vegetarian, which does mean that it would be impossible for her to ever order entrees expensive enough to break even on the DDP.)

Not only do we get more flexibility than the DDP would give us in choosing where to eat and what to order, but we still get the convenience of "prepayment," because I purchase discounted Disney gift cards (~9% off, buying them at BJ's at 4% off, with a Discover card, during the months when Discover offers 5% cash back on wholesale club purchases) ahead of time for all of our dining. Whatever money is left on them, we can use for souvenirs. The 30%+ we save on dining over the cost of the DDP doesn't even factor in that 9% savings on the initial gift card purchases! AND we get to enjoy a much higher proportion of table service restaurants than the DDP would cover, including restaurants that would "cost" 2 credits on the DDP (but don't cost twice as much out-of-pocket as comparable 1-credit TS places).

Last edited:
We found value in the deluxe dining plan but we primarily ate at signature restaurants and not the ones with character meals. As I understand it now the plan has changed quite a bit ( no appetizers?) and I’d have to do the math to be sure. Still I suspect it’s no longer worth it whether gluten free or not.

I've never found any value in the dining plans. Nothing is ever tailored exactly how any one individual person eat and sometimes the most expensive included items (i.e. where you might feel like you could be getting some value) aren't necessarily what you want to eat. It's really just convenience. For some, it also is psychological. I have friends that buy into the plan so they don't have to think about how much their spending on food with prices on the menus.

That being said, Disney has some pretty decent gluten free alternatives.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter