DD's MIL just invited herself, the drama begins....

I actually don't think the biggest issue is with the MIL, I think it's with the fact there would be three kids. We joke in our house about the "Power of Three"... 2 kids get along great, 4 kids get along great, but 3 kids means someone is always left out and then the tears start. That would be my biggest fear, honestly.

I agree. OP clearly stated DD was afraid she would end up having to take care of the other 5-year old child in addition to her own 2 children. No way, no how would I agree to this situation. If MIL was going alone and just wanted to tag along, that’s one thing, but being forced to take care of someone else’s child on the WDW vacation you planned for your own family? No way.

I'll be interested to hear how all this turns out. I do think it is rude to invite yourself and other family members on someone else's vacation. I agree with other posters who have said separate trips for grandparents is probably the best set up. My mom loves to be active with my kids and do the things they are doing. Because of health issues, my MIL can't always do this. OP please keep us posted.

I can see both sides honestly. If your daughter does not have a good relationship with MIL that sounds awkward - but how is you son in laws relationship with his mom, and your granddaughter's with her grandma? They might look forward to a vacation with her and enjoy her time. I also imagine that other grandma is just trying to do right by the other grandchild/cousin/niece. It is hard when one grandkid sees another get much more than another, it certainly isn't the 5 year old's fault the parents made 'poor life choices' that landed her living in her grandma's basement.

I hope they are able to work something out.

I fogot to add, yea crazy rude to invite yourself, some people don't understand boundaries.

The MIL can go, no one can stop her, but she doesn't need to know their full schedule.

Maybe she can’t afford to take them all to WDW.

So it's the OP's responsibility to finance the trip so MIL can go? How is that right?

I haven't read the entire thread so I may have missed it but is the OP paying for the entire thing or are they just going together and everyone pays their own way?

We have vacationed with my parents, including WDW, several times and we all pay our own way. We have never vacations with my IL's and frankly, I don't see it ever happening. My MIL and I do NOT get along and that would not go well.

So it's the OP's responsibility to finance the trip so MIL can go? How is that right?

I haven't read the entire thread so I may have missed it but is the OP paying for the entire thing or are they just going together and everyone pays their own way?

We have vacationed with my parents, including WDW, several times and we all pay our own way. We have never vacations with my IL's and frankly, I don't see it ever happening. My MIL and I do NOT get along and that would not go well.
The OP’s MIL would be paying her own way. It just seems sad that the OP is going on a third trip to WDW with the grandkids, and MIL hasn’t been on one. Who knows, maybe the SIL doesn’t really want the OP there.

The OP’s MIL would be paying her own way. It just seems sad that the OP is going on a third trip to WDW with the grandkids, and MIL hasn’t been on one. Who knows, maybe the SIL doesn’t really want the OP there.

It sounds to me like the MIL doesn't really want to go with the OP's grandkids so much as take the opportunity for her other DGD to go. Either way, if the MIL wants to go to WDW with her grandkids then she can plan her own trip with her DS and DIL, not invite herself on a trip the OP already has planned.

There is always more hassle when more people come on a vacation but there is also more fun. Hubby and I are sort of in a similar place in life, we vacation a lot at disney with our daughter and son in law and grandchildren. I really think this needs to be son in law and your daughter's decision and I'd just go with the flow. You and your wife can escape the bigger party any time if it gets to be too much but your daughter might be stuck. So I'd just encourage her and son in law to do whatever they felt was best and support their decision.

From prior posts it seems she goes often with her parents. While it was rude of other grandma to ask to not go with other grandparents , I can imagine why she would want some alone time. I'm always interested in family dynamics and I'm sure there must be more story here to flat out refuse a trip with the grandma.

We have only sons so I can see where, in the future, perhaps our sons will be doing more with in laws and not us. Makes me sad but also makes me determined to be an agreeable, non selfish parent/grandparent so we continue to have good relationships.

Just seeing it from other grandmas point of view, obviously not knowing back story. Can see her watching all these trips with other grandparents and she just wanted one trip without the competition as I would suspect grandkids are more comfortable with the grandparents they already travel with.

When we had our first three sons we lived by one set of grandparents. When the other set came to visit, the ones that lived close made sure to give the out of town grandparents as much time with the babies. They didn't "hog" the babies and when kids were older always incouraged the kids to play with out of town grandparents at big family gatherings. I was always empressed by that.

I have two sons and one daughter. Both of my sons want to spend time with us, not just their inlaws. One son and his wife routinely vacation with us, my oldest hates vacations. My daughter includes us on most Disney trips.

I found that the less I try to push myself into their relationships, the more time they want to spend with us.

I don’t think you should go on this trip if the other grandparent is told she can’t. If there’s friction now, your DD rejecting her MIL’s request will only further stress the relationship. And if you get to go, but not her....well that’s just not fair.

Why is this not fair? My first husbands (he was deceased) sister was invited with the rest of the family when we took our granddaughter on her first trip to Disney. My DD and DSIL were gracious when they included all of us, IMO. From the get go SIL was a pill. DD had very few requests for the trip, and had asked me to plan as I was home. SIL argued every decision, especially the choice of resort (my DD only request) WHen we arrived we have made plans to include sil's niece and nephew (Lovely adults(. From that point SIL annoyed every one on the trip but me ( apparantly I overlook a lot)

Anyway, when we planned a family trip for the following year she was not included, and all heck broke loose. DH fianlly said just take her, but the rest of the family mutinied and said they would stay home, so I planned an extra trip in August with my little DGD, my godchild (my DGD's Godmother) and my SIL. It was a nightmare, from the start She was mad that DN was with us because DGD woudl not pay all attention to her. She spent a fortune on stuff trying to outdo my DH's gifts to DGD on the prior trip, which had my DGD terribly confused, and by the end I was a mess.

Not everyone should have to be excluded from family travel because there is one who has problems playing with others. My son in law woudl never travel with his family, so DH and I should not be included? We know how to respect boundaries, they do not. My son and DDIl traveled one time with her Mom. Never again. both agreed it was horrific. So our trips together should stop?

I have no idea the family dynamics in the OP's DD situation, and I sure think tthat he shoudl be sure not to fuel this fire that may erupt, but if teh DD and her DH are on the same page then there must be a reason. I suspect that part of it stems from the fear the child will be foisted on the DD. That can be a real issue, it happens to my niece all the time. She and her DH get her brothers boys every time they are together. SHe loves them, but I rather doubt that her DH woudl agree to have them added to her responsibilities when they go to WDW. Fair is not always what you or I percieve it to be when we look at someone elses situation through our own experience and mindset.

Actually if you read the OP you would see that he says it is the first time his dd, her dh and their 2 kids have been to WDW together, so this is the 1st trip that the OP is taking with all 4 of them.
He also said that the MIL feels bad that the niece doesn't get to go to WDW, he didn't mention anything about the MIL wanting to go to WDW with the OP's grandkids.
And you know what, none of that matters anyway. The MIL is free to get her family together so they can plan their own trip.
The idea that it isn't fair or sad is kind of strange. If the MIL is capable of tagging along on the OP's trip she is capable of tagging along with her own family.

Actually if you read the OP you would see that he says it is the first time his dd, her dh and their 2 kids have been to WDW together, so this is the 1st trip that the OP is taking with all 4 of them.
He also said that the MIL feels bad that the niece doesn't get to go to WDW, he didn't mention anything about the MIL wanting to go to WDW with the OP's grandkids.
And you know what, none of that matters anyway. The MIL is free to get her family together so they can plan their own trip.
The idea that it isn't fair or sad is kind of strange. If the MIL is capable of tagging along on the OP's trip she is capable of tagging along with her own family.

Again, I will say we don't know all the family dynamics, but I do know that the OP's daughter, SIL and two grandchildren are also the MIL's family.

In the original post, it was stated that it was the daughter who planned a trip, not OP.

Honestly, If it's OK for one set of grandparents to be included, then it seems pretty ugly to exclude the other grandma. Why not go into it with the positive thought that it will be a good time of family bonding?

but if she wants to bring the kid she’ll have to stay elsewhere, and do their own thing, and maybe meet up for meals or something. Also, I’m sure your DD is looking forward to cute pics of her kids at Disney, and having this extra kid in all the pics wouldn’t be ok.

Isn't this "extra kid" the children's cousin? Maybe it's me but my children's cousins have been a very important part of their childhood years. We've been on Disney (and other trips) with cousins included and my kids share those special memories with their cousins.

It seems to me that 5 adults with 3 children would be a pretty good mix. I would go on the trip with a happy attitude that the cousins would bond. These little girls might build a lifelong friendship.

Honestly OP, you seem to have a poor attitude about sharing time with the other grandparent so maybe try being gracious since you've been with grandchildren before.

But it appears the OP and his wife have been on every trip to WDW.

The reason why I always travel with my parents, besides the fact that I’m very close to them, is that they are DVC members and they rent large villas with their points for us all to stay in, and DH and I pay the cash difference for whatever the points don’t cover, which luckily is usually minimal. So when my MIL asked us not to go with my parents, we would’ve had to scramble to find somewhere to stay, because we already had BWV booked. My parents offered to have her stay in the villa with us, for free, she said no. There was really nothing more I could go to satisfy her, but we were very careful to word everything in a way to avoid being hurtful.

I get this. If someone kept offering me free lodging, i’d Jump on it too. However, I can appreciate that it would be difficult to be the grandparent without that means.

I hope that you make time and memories with her on less expensive trips.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter