dd's with asthma and non smoking room guarantee

tjmw2727

DIS Veteran
Hi all -

I have been to WDW numerous times over the years and until recently never had an issue with a guarantee on a non-smoking room due to both my dd's asthma.

My most recent booking today was very different, which brings me here to you helpful folks. The cm said they can only request non-smoking but it "probably won't be a problem". This isn't ok with me and I will go off-site if they can't make the guarantee. She said there was a special number to call but she didn't have access to the information ???

Is there a really a different number I can call to have a non-smoking room guaranteed or do you think I should just try CRO tomorrow for a more helpful cm? Honestly, my girls really can't stay in a room that has been smoked in.

FWIW I usually check the Swan/Dolphin first as they will guarantee a non-smoking room and I don't have to beg for Disney's "guarantee". This is the first time I have had a real problem with CRO, however. Hopefully I had an inexperienced CM and tomorrow will get me the guarantee. If not, does anyone have any alternatives?

TIA -
TJ

Special (Medical) Reservations is 407-939-7807. If you already have a reservation number contact them and they can code it is medical necessity and it will be guaranteed. If you do not yet have your reservation you may get a better CM at Reservations tomorrow, and if there is any problem, ask to be connected to Special Reservations or ask for a supervisor.

I have noticed that CRO has been refusing guests access to the Special Needs reservation people. Because of this my reservations were messed up my last trip and it took until near midnight for me to get my room. I arrived before 9am. Fortunately I was able to go to the parks and PI while they were dealing with this. I recently had a survey about CRO and this lack of access to Special Needs Reservations was my big complaint. I would insist on the guarantee.

We got the guarenteed non-smoking -medical reasons request from CRO. We didn't have to call the special number. I called and verified because after we paid our package in full. They sent yet another confirmation letter, and it didn't have the non-smoking - guarenteed for medical reasons on it like the previous letters they sent. The CM said it was still there, i was happy and that was it.

COnnie

My fiasco last year with a wheelchair accessible room need at POFQ actually went to a supervisor at CRO and I was assured that my entire experience was being used as a training example for their Special Needs staff and for CRO in general. They had made a change in how the requests were handled. I have several reservations coming up this fall, so I'm hoping not to have a repeat performance of last year's mess. As for nonsmoking for medical, I've always had that honored, in fact one time we were moved to a different resort since the one we'd reserved had only one w/c room left which was labelled nonsmoking on the door but reeked of smoke when we entered. One of the managers took very good care of us and I'll be forever grateful for his assistance. Anyway, I think they just have to word things in a certain way, but when you get to the resort, if your room has been smoked in ( which the CM's have no control over since some guests don't follow the rules) then ask to be moved. Kathy

this strategy works for me almost all the time when things aren't going quite the way i'm thinking they should (with all businesses with phone numbers that have many operators answering)---

end the call politely and just call right back again. the odds are totally in your favor that youl'l get someone else, and things might go much better.

this just worked last week when my dad realized we were paying $2/week more for our newspaper than he'd been paying. first person we talked to couldn't help us (actually quoted a higher rate!). called right back and got our rate lowered by $2 per week for the next 6 months.

if the first CM at WDW won't guaranty a NS room due to asthma, try another CM.

also a clue that the CM didn't know her job too well--how could she not have access to the special reservations phone number! she should have been able to transfer your call, you needn't even have dialed back. that's when i'd say "thank you for your help" and call back to talk to someone else....

imho
-dj

Thanks everyone I appreciate all the great information. Yes the CM I had was less than stellar but she did get me an AP rate for my stay so I wanted to be sure and book that while on the phone last night. I mentioned the non-smoking at the beginning and she said yes so I really didn't think much about it until the end of the call when I tried to verify the guarantee.

I am going to call again today to try to get the guarantee from CRO - apparently the hours of 1-8 are the least busy so I won't have a huge phone bill. If that dosen't work I will call the number recommended above.

I will update in case I can be of help to someone else.

TJ

tj:
in case you haven't called yet, you can call CRO for free:
1-800-828-0228
I have a ressie for Jan and on the confirmation that I received from WDW it states "guaranteed non-smoking" (kids with asthma).

I have always had a guaranteed non smoking room because both my kids have asthma. I do always double check by calling a couple of weeks before our trip but it has never been a problem.

Also, since the majority of rooms are non-smoking they should be able to meet your needs. The bigger problem is not usually actually getting smoking rooms, what I have seen posted seems to be getting a non-smoking room that someone has smoked in.

riu girl said:
tj:
you can call CRO for free: 1-800-828-0228

how'd you get an 800 number!! i had one from a promotional video in the late 90's, and again with the magic kindom club card or whatever it was called, but haven't seen one since!
good to know!!! - thanks for posting it. -dj

Update and thanks - I called back and got a very knowledgable CM who added my guarantee without hesistation.

I will be happy when I see it printed on the confirmation sheet but for now I have done all I can.

Thanks again
TJ

tjmw2727 said:
Update and thanks - I called back and got a very knowledgable CM who added my guarantee without hesistation.

I will be happy when I see it printed on the confirmation sheet but for now I have done all I can.

Thanks again
TJ

will they automatically send you a new confirmaton for that type of change (adding the guaranteed non-smoking), or do you have to request it to be sent?

I believe that every time, any sort of modificationis made, you receive a new confirmation. I know last year, I made some minor changes or paid on the ressie and each time I received a new confirmation without asking for one.

riu girl said:
I believe that every time, any sort of modificationis made, you receive a new confirmation. I know last year, I made some minor changes or paid on the ressie and each time I received a new confirmation without asking for one.
i know for payments you'd get an updated conf., but i had some trouble getting updated conf's once when minor notes were added, and i was wondering if my experience was a glitch, or if it was typical. not important, just curious
-dj

dj2 said:
will they automatically send you a new confirmaton for that type of change (adding the guaranteed non-smoking), or do you have to request it to be sent?

I have since received the original confirmation and despite the CM telling me otherwise the non-smoking guarantee was printed on it. I have since received another confirmation with my deposit showing, since I mailed a check rather than using a cc'd, and it also has my guarantee so all is well.

Thanks again

TJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter