"De varken en de boenjen". How to say that?

What song is that? I never heard of it and many words you describe don't exist in the Dutch language.
Eenjen is no Dutch word and pappetje neither.
Boenjen? never hard of it.
O and plaese don't be mad but with the word boenjen you made it on to Google :laughing:
Glad you said that. I was beginning to think my Dutch was much rustier than it already is :goodvibes

Nope. We have half of our country using the "soft G". :lmao:
Neither one of my parents (Eindhoven and Roosendaal) have the gutteral g. Nor do any of my cousins, aunts, uncles, etc. (My parents were rebels and emigrated to the US, so ALL my relatives are still in the Netherlands.)

Disneyadore is doing a great job trying to explain the pronunciations, but as a first generation American from Dutch parents who insisted we learn English first before Dutch, I can vouch that some of the Dutch sounds are not in the English language, so cannot be compared to anything in English - particularly the 'uij' sound. Believe me, I cannot pronounce my original last name correctly :lmao:

Glad you said that. I was beginning to think my Dutch was much rustier than it already is :goodvibes

Neither one of my parents (Eindhoven and Roosendaal) have the gutteral g. Nor do any of my cousins, aunts, uncles, etc. (My parents were rebels and emigrated to the US, so ALL my relatives are still in the Netherlands.)

Disneyadore is doing a great job trying to explain the pronunciations, but as a first generation American from Dutch parents who insisted we learn English first before Dutch, I can vouch that some of the Dutch sounds are not in the English language, so cannot be compared to anything in English - particularly the 'uij' sound. Believe me, I cannot pronounce my original last name correctly :lmao:

OOOOOOOOOOOO your parents are from the Dark South :rotfl2::rotfl2: Did you think discrimination is only in the US :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:
I am also soft G person and it is called a "handicap" in the Netherlands.

Should or could I get a GAC for this you think when we are at Disney?:confused3:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Nope. We have half of our country using the "soft G". :lmao:
I was in the growling G half. ;) My family is mostly in north Holland. They live (or lived) in Amsterdam, Naarden, Soesterberg, Utrecht and a few in the east in Enschede.

I wondered about some of those words myself. It's been a while and I decided that I was seeing alternate spellings for some of them. But boenjan? Did anyone figure that one out?

I wondered about some of those words myself. It's been a while and I decided that I was seeing alternate spellings for some of them. But boenjan? Did anyone figure that one out?

I tried in Old Duch, Fries, Old German, Limburgs and even Belgian but came up blank.

I tried in Old Duch, Fries, Old German, Limburgs and even Belgian but came up blank.

2nd line is about pigs in the beans.

I wonder if the old world song....forced some of the rhymes as we might sometimes do in the English language. have no idea if it is pig or beans or not--but the translation indicates that.

What would the real word for pigs/beans be?

(google translator link that was posted earlier.... has beans as "bonen" any thought as to why they would modify the spelling that way in the song to boenjan? I did it reverse and the words sound the same except for the added "j" sound when I play the word) NEVERMIND--I wasn't using the translator correctly. Gah!

I imagine that it's supposed to be boenjen. Throne? How odd.

ETA: I'm looking at the wrong line. I bet that it is some weird spelling of bonen.

:confused3

Haven't read the book yet--this was all just in the foreward. I wonder if there is another way to research this.

Languages tend to change over time--so maybe this is just so stinkin' old that the words don't exist anymore?:confused3

I am so not a linguist.:laughing:

I'm not a linguist either. As you probably saw, I'm old school Dutch still. :)

I've heard that the Dutch language changed a lot over time. I also read that the song was sung in the states? Who knows how accurate the spelling is.

ETA: I'm looking at the wrong line. I bet that it is some weird spelling of bonen.

I chewed a while over this but you might be right. Boenjen looks a lot like Boontjes which means little beans.

when i saw the title of this thread, all i could think of was someone wanted to translate whatever the Swedish Chef is saying in the Muppet show...

Although this thread is from long ago, following is the song as I know it from my childhood (which was not centuries ago though :)).

Tikke takke tonen
Varkentje in de bonen
Paardje in de haver
Koetje in de klaver
Lammetje in het groene gras
Eendje in de waterplas
Visje in het netje
Kindje in zijn/haar bedje

"Tikke takke tonen" is jibberish ;-)
Piggy in the beans
Horsie in the oats (or oatfield)
Little cow in the clover
Little lamb in the green grass
Duckling in the water pond
Little fish in the net
[Name child] in his/her little bed

Mom or dad would replace [Name child] in the last line with the name of the child she/he was singing to.

But the last line from 'my' song is different from "yours".
"So groet myn klyne pappatje vas" may have been copied from archaic Dutch in unclear handwriting.....
Judging by the English translation the word pappetje should actually be poppetje (= little doll). In modern Dutch that would be: "Zo groot mijn kleine poppetje was". In English: "As big my little doll was."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter