Dead Last Start... share your experiences if you have them!

doctorintheTARDIS

Mouseketeer
Hello fellow runners!

I’ve been put in the last corral for the DS challenge (active.com apparently didn’t like my proof of time and didn’t submit it) and I’m looking to hear about some positive experiences.

I’m feeling very let down, as I was hoping to actually run and have buffer space for character stops.

Not to mention, if needed, I wanted to have time to stop to ice my knee if I needed it (diagnosed patella tracking issue. Ice helps with the inflamation)

I’m terrified and sincerely debating just dropping out...because being forced to walk when I don’t want to, trapped behind walkers or people 5 abreast and not having time for characters is really ruining the experience (in my mind)

(And for the record, as it came off this way before— I have nothing against walkers! I have trained to run the whole thing and now it feels like my training was for nothing...)

So I’m looking for some positive experiences from runners who started from the back, to give me a little hope

My very first half was the 2006 Disney marathon weekend half and I had to start in the last corral. I made sure I was in the front and the first 3 miles or so was a lot of weaving but eventually I made it thorough the herd. I ended up just over 1:40 which was about 5 minutes slower than my next two halves that year so it didn't cost me that much time. Due to the slow start I had a lot left for the finish but it was pre-GPS watch so I don't have my specific pace information.

Well first of all - if you legitimately submitted a time that was within their deadline, I'd call/email or talk to someone at Runner Relations at the expo to see if they can move you up.

As for the DLS...I've heard it's not bad. Have realistic expectations, know that the course will be tight, but you're still running at Disney, so try to have fun with it. I know some people will purposely start with the Balloon Ladies and make a game of how many people they can pass ("kill") so that's an idea.

I'm a slow runner. I didn't like last year's Dark Side corrals because they grouped everyone with an estimated finish time of greater than 3 hours together in the last corral. While that was where they should have placed me according to the corrals they set, I didn't like that grouping since they've usually done corrals grouping 3:00 to 3:15 together and I have 2 3:06 finishes in the last 2 years.

Despite starting in the last corral, I made a lot of photo stops, dealt with an unplanned bathroom stop, and even with the heat that day finished in 3:27. At no point did I ever hear warning of a sweep coming during the half. The day before in the 10K, having also started in the last corral, I heard the sweep warning while in line for a photo, knew I was okay based on where I was in relation to the sweep, saw the sweep occur and never heard from them again with a finish of 1:41 just behind one of the balloon ladies.

You may have to skip certain photo stops because the line is too long for your liking, but it is possible to start in the last corral and have photo stops. Of the runDisney official photo stops (not counting fan groups such as the 501st which can have equally great costumes and much shorter lines), I stopped for R2-D2, Death Star Trash Compactor, Star Wars Rebels characters from animated Star Wars, and Chewbacca during the half. I skipped the Ewoks and the Emperor because I didn't like the line, but I probably would have been fine to stop for at least one of them. I also skipped the Wampa on Hoth photo stop because I had already done it at Disneyland after Light Side, but it also had a very short line.

For Dead last start, there was a whole discussion on facebook in a group & they started with the balloon ladies at Princess (they do it other races too) and how even one of them was able to start last and finished in the top 100 overall or something like that. So, if you are running faster than those around you it sounds like you can get around them & catch each earlier corral. Character lines will build up no matter what though. Of course the slower the pace you go the more congestion you may run into, especially when you hit the path from Studios to Epcot. I don't know, but the conseus on that was it doesn't matter where you start, but I honestly have no idea personally.

I ran the inaugural Dark Side Half in 2016 and got the last corral due to my very late registration. The course was congested, but we were able to hit most of the character stops and got a ton of pics. At no point did we ever see the sweepers, despite taking a very leisurely pace and making plenty of stops.

I wouldn't worry too much about your corral placement. We still had a great time running the Dark Side despite starting at the back, and you probably will too. Good luck and happy running!

I started dead last at the Avengers Half Marathon and my goal for this race was to take it all in and have fun because it was the last Disneyland race. I had signed up literally the day before the race, so no chance at moving on up a corral, but I was fine with it. I stopped at almost ALL of the character stops except Thor because his line was way too long. I stopped for bacon and jello shots. I stopped to take pictures with everything. And I still finished in 2:45 ish. It can be done.

So way back in 2011, I ran the PHM with zero clue about balloon ladies and the fear surrounding them. I went back a corral so I could run with some friends and we started in the last corral, middle of the pack. It was crowded at spots but it wasn't difficult at all. Even with taking our time, stopping for characters, and a bathroom break, there was no fear of being swept. As long as you are able to pick it up when you can, you really shouldn't be concerned.

Go to Runner Relations at the Expo and get a corral change. It's pretty common that they do this and frustrating, but it is fixable.

I know some people will purposely start with the Balloon Ladies and make a game of how many people they can pass ("kill") so that's an idea.
That sounds kind of fun, a game would also make the miles go by faster.

Go to Runner Relations at the Expo and get a corral change. It's pretty common that they do this and frustrating, but it is fixable.

UNles you have proof you submitted a PoT that wasn't applied correctly I don't think they do changes at the expo anymore

UNles you have proof you submitted a PoT that wasn't applied correctly I don't think they do changes at the expo anymore
Yeah, I should have elaborated in my post. What I said was assuming that you submitted a valid PoT when you signed up, like you said. If you just just signed up without submitting PoT, you can still try to get a switch but it will be tougher and you will still need to show a PoT.

I started in the last corral in the 2015 WDW Half due to lack of PoT. Starting out back can be a bit frustrating but as long as you go in knowing you're not PR'ing (if you're stopping for characters I presume you're not trying to) you shouldn't get down or stress about it. Based on your PR's in your sigline I also presume you're not worried about being swept. Just get out there, meet some characters, don't worry and have fun!

I started in the last coral this past January for the Half-Marathon during Marathon weekend. I was doing Dopey and was actually corraled in C (for the half and full) but my family were running the one race and had not submitted a proof of time so were in the last coral. We are all sub-2 hour half-marathoners.

I did not find it that much more congested initially, becasue of the wave starts. We actually started in the second last wave-so very near the back of our coral and had plenty of room. The main course congestion did not come until later (after MK), but we were able to pass many runners by running on the grass. As for character stops, I did not find the lines overwhelming either, I believe we did 3 stops.

Did I have more stretches of road without other runners when I did the marathon the next day from closer to the front-yes, of course, but honestly I was sooo worried going into the last coral and it was no where near the congested mess I was anticipating. If it matters, with character stops, a (long) bathroom break, and push-ups with Sarg. we finished in 2.5 hours :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter