Deaf Question

Eeyoreluver

DS and DD CP Alumni
My daughter is applying to be a Spring College Programer. She is currently studying in ASL 1. (Basic American Sign Language). My question is has anyone come across Cast Members or College Program people who know ASL? How helpful would my daughter be knowing only the basic signs? She is very excited about her new "skill" and is looking foward to using it! :)

CMs at WDW who know another language have information on their nametags that indicate what languages they speak (little country flags attached to the bottom of their nametag). People who are fluent in ASL have a similar "flag" with a sign for sign language.
I don't know how fluent you have to be to get one of those flags, but I imagine it involves some testing/certification so they can ensure a basic level of knowledge.
I do know that when I was a college student, I knew some very basic signs that came in handy when I worked in a store in customer service. Even though I didn't understand or sign much (and never did get enough practice to do finger spelling), the people with hearing impairments I saw were happy to encounter someone who had taken the trouble to learn even a little bit.

ASL like any language needs to be used in order to keep proficient. My DD took ASL as her language requirement in college. I knew a little but both of us have lost a lot of our vocabuary due to non use. My DBIL learned some when one of his co workers signed but he too has lost a lot from not using it. I hope your DD gets to use her skills and keeps them sharp.
Even the basic signs come in handy. My DD was a car dealership when she saw some folks having difficulty. She recognized that they signing and offered her help. They were surprised and grateful. They couldn't believe that she learned ASL just because she wanted to and that she had no relative/friend that signed.
I wish your DD good luck.

To earn the SL designation your daughter would have to take a performance test. I understand they ask basic questions in ASL and she would need to be able to answer them. Things like where is the bathroom, what time is the parade, where to watch the parade. Since I do sign I tend to look for these people and we talk. Some are very skilled like the deaf castmembers and some have fairly basic skills. All are very happy to converse in sign with you.
Btw it is the only language test that has to be taken in person. The others from what I've been told can be taken over the phone.
Also I believe they have sign language classes available for castmembers,

Please send a warm thank you to your daughter for wanting to learn ASL.
My DD (15) has worn a hearing aid(s) since she was 2. She benefits so much from an interpreter in live, loud, large productions such as at WDW.
MGM has alot of shows and they have a schedule of when interpretion is available, maybe your daughter could find out who Disney hires for these shows and find out ways to keep up her skills thru them.

:earsgirl:

It is nice to know ASL for work. I knew someone who was deaf who worked in Disney and he had a pin for ASL on.

A friend of mine who did the Disney College program for a semester had the ASL pin while a CM at WDW. Now, she had completed the majority of an Interpreter Preparation Program and her grand-daughter and DIL are Deaf so for her she was well prepared for any performance test WDW might require.

Thank you for all of your responses. I have let my DD know what each of you have said. She is going to spend more time with her teacher, so she can make sure she knows the right signs for the questions. She had already made a list of signs she wanted to work on, now she has added to it. She said she will take the test to see if she can get the ASL on her name badge. She is very nervous though, she still has not found out if she made it into the college program.
Thanks again for all of your encouraging words. Maybe some of you will see her there, she will be the one with the loooong red hair. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter