dealing with rain?

michelem

Earning My Ears
OK, need some last minute tips, we leave in 3 days and they are forecasting cloudy days, not the usual scattered thunderstorms for next week.

When do you leave parks: light rain, moderate, thunder?

where does everyone run during a downpour, want to be ready...

Do they still run rides in rain?

Well, bring rain ponchos for everyone, Target has them cheap for a dollar each. That way you don't need to run for cover!

Summer storms in Florida tend to be short (1 hour or less), but it's amazing how they clear out the parks and the lines. Most Disney rides are inside, and stay open. SM and BTMRR may close for lightning in MK, and TT in Epcot would close too, I'd imagine. Rule of thumb, if it's outside, it will probebly be closed.

I'd stay in the park myself, there's so much to do indoors that even if it rains most of the day you'd have a good time.

Have a great trip, I'm so jealous!

We never leave when it rains. Bring your ponchos and just keep going. One of the best times we ever had was in Epcot during a rainstorm. The CM's were just delightful. We had so much fun with them when they closed their carts. My DD had a great time splashing around with them. If there was lightening I would head into one of the shops to wait it out. The MK is also okay in the rain. It looks like a sea of yellow ponchos, everywhere you look. People just keep having fun regardless of the rain.

Have fun!

We visited WDW 19-25 June this year and it was cloudy and rainy for at least the 1st 4 days of our visit. This was not typical weather for the summer which is scattered showers of short duration; it was raining off and on throughout the day, occasionally heavy rain but not storming. These days were probably a blessing because the clouds kept the temperature down and protected us from the sun AND the parks weren't crowded. The feet can get kind of yucky if they stay wet all day.:rolleyes:

If we visit WDW in the summertime in the future, I'm hoping for rainy weather.

Use the time that it rains to take advantage of the indoor shows and rides. This worked well for us on two afternoons at MGM. If you have young children, you can easily put a change of clothes in a gallon size ziplock bag. If you have a stroller, bring a rain cover or use a poncho (the $5 kind from Target) to cover the stroller. The cheappy ponchos are good to use once and throw away. I like the clear ones from Wal-Mart. It's easier to find the members of your group in a crowd. We went the first week in July and the rain was welcomed to cool things off.

We never, ever, EVER stop for rain. Some of the best trips we have had have been during tropical storms and another great time was during a hurricane! (being from Houston, this isn't an unknown for us) During the hurricane, the monorail driver let us sit up front to EPCOT and back since we were the only ones on the monorail. He told us that they have never closed for weather to his knowledge. We all take at least two good pairs of walking shoes (for a dry spare pair) and as we head out, always hang our ponchos on our belts or fanny packs so that we are ready. It's incredible how many people leave the parks during the rain and you virtually end up with it all to yourselves. Use your camera and take a moment to pose in front of big attractions if you find yourselves owning the park during a storm. It's fun to look back and see that you were the only ones on Main Street or at Spaceship Earth. We had the dubious pleasure of being at WDW starting 9/12/01. Not only was it deserted due to NYC Twin Towers, but there was also a huge storm. The first two or three days we had a private park. We have a picture of every character from EPCOT, all TOGETHER, posing with our then 5 month old granddaughter. She was probably the only child in the park so watch for opportunites like that when it rains! Have fun!!! :)

I've always gone in dryer months, but when we go this August we're expecting afternoon showers while we're there.

We plan to stay wherever we are while it rains. We're also not big poncho fans (sorry, just not our style). We'd rather get soaked and take lots of really fun "can't-do-a-THING-with-my-hair" pictures :p After all, it's August, it's Florida, and water rides are the most popular mid-day anyway....why not get as drenched as possible and stay coooooool? :smooth:

We'll watch the masses leave whatever park we're at, and we'll have a blast without them once they're gone :)

Jon

We don't use ponchos either. Too hot and sticky. We use little folding umbrellas that I got for $1 and have lasted us since 1999. If you use ponchos I would recommend getting a different color than yellow. It is next to impossible to find your kids with all those ponchos and everyones hoods up.

One of our best afternoons last August was the day there were severe thunder storms. They were heading in when we left POR and as we headed to Epcot we were about the only ones going that way!! Going into Epcot it was very dark and thundering, so we jumped right on SE ( we were the only ones getting on!) At the end of the ride, they announced that it was pouring with lightning and if you wanted to stay and ride Again, go ahead. We rode 3 times in a row, and when we came out, the rain had lightened up enough that we ran to Innoventions and spent some time in there. By the time we finished in there the sun was shining again, the lines were nonexistent and we had a greAt evening in a fairly empty park!!

Perservere!! Never give up!:Pinkbounc

Good luck & have fun!

Deb

Add us to the list of people who don't leave when it rains. Lines get shorter and if it's really hot, it has a cooling effect. We do cover up w/ponchos. We haven't yet experienced lightning, but I'd suspect we would go inside if that occured.

We usually keep going unless theres lightning involved. One hint of lightning and its inside for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter