Dealing with the "Over-packer" ... and the intervention...

I just got back from 9 days in Italy and I could have done it with a carryon and backpack. I wound up checking a bag because my DD wanted me to bring some lighter clothes with me since the weather was breaking and she sent home a number of heavier items with me. Otherwise, I hate to check a bag. That's how they get lost and damaged.

I spent 3 weeks in Russia with only 2 checked bags between my husband, 2 kids and I.

Two pairs of shoes... one on and one in the bag. I don't have to match jewelry to outfits (or sunglasses like my DH). I'm very low maintenance when I travel. I've taught my kids well. I'm still working on my DH, but he's making progress.

Well, this is one over-packer who would welcome any and all interventions. Seriously - feel free to offer me advice!

We're going to Europe for three weeks this summer and I am determined to pack very, very light. I refuse to make the mistakes I've made in my over-packing past. I don't mind doing laundry while traveling, as we usually build in one or two stays at an AirBnB or VRBO. The other option is to find a local laundry service.

Shoes are the biggest light-packing hurdle, since I have plantar fasciitis. We're going to Scotland where we'll do some light, short hikes, and then to Italy, where I'll want a nicer look.

The answer to your diverse-climate dilemma is long underwear. I personally prefer silk because I find it feels cooler when I go indoors, but lots of folks prefer the tech-y wicking fabrics. Just make sure that it's very thin, so that it can be carried in a jacket pocket if need be. On top, a hooded windbreaker over a fleece should be warm enough in summer (pack the fleece in a space bag that will squish it), but don't forget some lightweight gloves for Scotland; damp can make your hands feel frozen even when it's not that cold. Don't bring jeans, too heavy and too hard to wash; get some ripstop hiking pants that will wash easily and take up less room.

I'd invest in some good shoes that can manage walking through fields AND cobblestone streets. Sneakers really are not the best idea for European travel. Something like this Encore Moc from Merrell ought to do the trick (though I would get it in black)
MRLW-J94560-032117-S18-HERO

Oh, and for your DH, buy him some nice undies. Men's cotton underwear is heavy and takes up a ridiculous amount of space, nice wicking tech underwear is best for travel, and can easily be washed by hand and dried on a towel rod overnight (which never works with typical cotton.) Jockey carries some nice ones for reasonable prices, especially if you have an outlet nearby.

The answer to your diverse-climate dilemma is long underwear. I personally prefer silk because I find it feels cooler when I go indoors, but lots of folks prefer the tech-y wicking fabrics. Just make sure that it's very thin, so that it can be carried in a jacket pocket if need be. On top, a hooded windbreaker over a fleece should be warm enough in summer (pack the fleece in a space bag that will squish it), but don't forget some lightweight gloves for Scotland; damp can make your hands feel frozen even when it's not that cold. Don't bring jeans, too heavy and too hard to wash; get some ripstop hiking pants that will wash easily and take up less room.

I'd invest in some good shoes that can manage walking through fields AND cobblestone streets. Sneakers really are not the best idea for European travel. Something like this Encore Moc from Merrell ought to do the trick (though I would get it in black)
MRLW-J94560-032117-S18-HERO

Oh, and for your DH, buy him some nice undies. Men's cotton underwear is heavy and takes up a ridiculous amount of space, nice wicking tech underwear is best for travel, and can easily be washed by hand and dried on a towel rod overnight (which never works with typical cotton.) Jockey carries some nice ones for reasonable prices, especially if you have an outlet nearby.

Thank you for all of the suggestions! I took jeans to Europe the first time I went, and although I never felt out of place, the drying time after washing was just too much. That's one mistake I haven't made again. I'll check out those shoes, too, thanks!

DH is a much better packer than I am and routinely goes abroad for work for a couple of weeks at a time, so he should be good. As for DD16, well, she's been told that whatever she bring, she carries, and she knows based on past trips what that means when the train station doesn't have an elevator, lol.

I do a lot of trips with just a carry on---and most cruieses, DH and I share one checked bag and one carry on, though we've done 2 week cruises with only carry ons and I am taking a full sized suitcase and a carry on for just me on our upcomming 2 week cruise. Some trips I feel like dressing up for diner every night and sometimes I just want to keep it simple. I don'T think there is a right or a wrong there. I hope OP'S freind truly wanted help in downsizing her packing and prefers to only have one bag on her trip (which is often much simpler) I would hate for someone to spend what it costs to travel overseas for three weeks, including a cruise, and have dreeamt of getting to enjoy dressing up on the ship and lose out on that part of the experience over a hundred bucks in luggage fees (which
Ship's laundry. Even if the ship has no laundry room, it has laundry service. Probably more economical than multiple overweight, oversi st bags.

Put everything you need that will fit, in your personal item. Put the rest of your carry on stuff in that, then fill with heavier stuff that you'd normally check. Lift it to make sure you can. Then put everything else in the checked bag.

We cruise pretty often, and MSC is the only line I have experience with that I will trust to launder any clothing I care about. I will send socks and underwear out on other ships, but nothing more----most lines place your laundry in a mesh bag and wash it in a huge machine with laundry from many others. HOT water, colors bleeding, etc.

We cruise pretty often, and MSC is the only line I have experience with that I will trust to launder any clothing I care about. I will send socks and underwear out on other ships, but nothing more----most lines place your laundry in a mesh bag and wash it in a huge machine with laundry from many others. HOT water, colors bleeding, etc.
:offtopic: But we watch Dream Cruises show a lot and they showcase MSC quite often either the actual show or the commercials. There's a new ship the Seaside that is coming to the North American market to stay but I've heard mixed reviews on MSC and most of it seems to stem from differences in markets and expectations between North American and European. What's your take on it?

I'm a multiple outfits per day kinda woman and can still pack for a week at wdw in a carry-on; and most of that is sunscreen. What are these people taking?

I'm a multiple outfits per day kinda woman and can still pack for a week at wdw in a carry-on; and most of that is sunscreen. What are these people taking?

I imagine you'd have to take into account the size of the people that are packing. I recently lost weight (size 18-20 down to 10-12) and was surprised at how small my bag was when I packed for a weekend vacation. There's a great deal of difference in the amount of fabric (and how small you can squish it) between a size 20 and 10 pair of pants.

I imagine you'd have to take into account the size of the people that are packing. I recently lost weight (size 18-20 down to 10-12) and was surprised at how small my bag was when I packed for a weekend vacation. There's a great deal of difference in the amount of fabric (and how small you can squish it) between a size 20 and 10 pair of pants.

Lol...was just (literally, just) chatting with a friend and she said "b - you're clothes are tiny, of course you can pack in a carry on for a week in Mexico." You're quite right though that 2 size 0 sundresses just don't take up much room even packing for a week. A couple of swimsuits, coverups and some sandals still don't require a ton of room. I mean, a man's shirt takes up as much space as an outfit of mine does; so I should probably be less preachy about it; or a lot less preachy.

Our (family) issue is shoes - my husband and kids have ridiculously huge feet and their shoes (1 to wear, 1 to pack) don't all fit in one suitcase with our clothes. I typically wear my tennis shoes and pack my light, bendable croc sandals.

We do travel pretty light compared to some - one medium sized, one small (shoes and toiletries) checked, and my personal item (carries all our need-on-plane stuff, and a change of clothes for us).

Our (family) issue is shoes - my husband and kids have ridiculously huge feet and their shoes (1 to wear, 1 to pack) don't all fit in one suitcase with our clothes. I typically wear my tennis shoes and pack my light, bendable croc sandals.

We do travel pretty light compared to some - one medium sized, one small (shoes and toiletries) checked, and my personal item (carries all our need-on-plane stuff, and a change of clothes for us).
My husband wears a size 13..I know how you feel :)

I have to say if my husband called someone to come over to intervene I'd tell him where to shove the luggage.

If I ever staged an intervention about DW's over packing, she wouldn't just TELL me where to shove the luggage, she'd personally ram it in.

In my house, it’s DW. She’s had to make changes now that we travel in a compact car, but it’s been tough.

About a week befor we leave, I bring her all the bags that will physically fit in the car with the instruction to use these bags and only these bags.

Typically, the day before we leave, I’ll come home to find 1 or 2 of the designated bags empty, and 3 or 4 bags from the basement FULL.

Facepalm

Simple solution. Tell her that under no circumstances is she to use the bags you determined will fit in the car. In fact, FORBID it. Of course she'll then use those forbidden bags.

I pack my size 7 shoes inside of my husband's size 13s

I thought that way too but I think it was influenced by the OP's description of the husband calling her because he didn't want to pay for an additional checked luggage and that it was an 'intervention'.

I would have no problem calling my best friend up saying "hey can you come help me pack" and then we use it as girl time as well. It would be a bit different if my husband called my best friend and was like "she needs help I'm not paying for another checked bag you're so good at packing small".

Obviously it's all good according to the OP with their friendship dynamic and not everyone would have a problem with their husband calling but I would personally rather my husband tell me "ok so let's do 1 checked luggage so we don't have to lug around and pay another large suitcase" and then it be my decision to call my friend or not. It's also different calling for advice like "what should I wear for travel days" since the OP would have said 3 outfits for travel day was overkill. That would be some assistance rather than taking over the whole packing entirely.

OP here, I just want to clarify something, He ( my friends DH) suggested to her( my friend) to call me... She is the one who called and asked me if I would help her. So it was her choice or decision to ask me to help... if he would have called me I would have laughed and said are you crazy....

My friend is one of those women that has outfits, I have seen her find someone in the store and tell them I want that outfit on the mannequin - if she buys something its a whole outfit, pants, tops, shoes, handbag, jewelry, or a scarf, for one outfit...never just a pair of pants or a top...... which is just who she is and she is a very fashion forward lady and always looks great... I basically just showed her how to mix and match the stuff she already has to make other outfits to cut back on the packing, like creating a basic color palate and working from there, adding in a few fun things, and stressing comfort with all the walking... Her DH wasn't being mean about the 1 checked bag... they are six adults and 8 kids going... so less to keep up with and more keeping up with the grandkids.

:offtopic: But we watch Dream Cruises show a lot and they showcase MSC quite often either the actual show or the commercials. There's a new ship the Seaside that is coming to the North American market to stay but I've heard mixed reviews on MSC and most of it seems to stem from differences in markets and expectations between North American and European. What's your take on it?

Hmm, that is a tricky question for me to answer.
when we sailed MSC we were on one of their newer ships (Splendida) on a Northern European itenerary in shoulder season---which is probably pretty different as far as activities and passenger base than what you'd fine in the Caribbean.

We also booked a room in the Yatch Club, which means we only ate in that restaurant and had a pool deck/pool for exclusive YC use, all drinks included in the club, etc
Since we do not normally book that level of service on other ships (many do nto even have that) it is a bot hard for me to compare (the YC rooms are about the same size as larger balcony rooms on other ships, cost far less than suites on other lines and the service was fabulous). Outside the YC the ship always felt crowded---I think there really are ore passengers per available sq foot than on other lines. The crowds were enough that I would not book MSC outside the YC, but then again I am paeticularly crowd adverse.

On our trip, there was a very dissapointing lack of cruise staff programming. Trivia twice in a week, maybe one game a day, and never well run. I have been told this is different in the caribbean.

Food in the YC was excellent and it is so nice to be told to show up any time they are open and you will have a table. We did pop into the buffet a couple of times to check it out and the food was good.

The spa was as nice as on all other lines at half the price---they run it themselves rather than contracting with the company which runs most ships spas. I rarely use the spa on other lines due to the prices: it was nice to feel like I could enjoy a couple of massages without paying an arm and a leg for them.

Likewise, many of the add ons, from drinks to specialty dining were far cheaper than on other lines.

and the laundry! I pre bought a package to send out up to 5 0items for cleaning and pressing for 45 € I could send thing bit by bit, and they arrived back in the stateroom hung in the closet, cleaned better than our local in town services does. I told DH if we sail them again I am taking all his workshirts to be done while we vacation lol

I would sail them again, in the Yacht Club.

My husband wears a size 13..I know how you feel :)

My older son is approaching size 13 quickly... my husband wears a 15 or 16 based on what kind of shoe. Those suckers don't bend AT ALL.

I pack my size 7 shoes inside of my husband's size 13s

Love this idea! My croc sandals take up very little room, so it's not mine I am concerned with. It's the 11 year olds size 11's and the 13 year olds size 12+ and the husband's sized 15/16. It just gets to be a lot. We used to ship stuff (diapers), but haven't needed to for a while...might have to go back to shipping just for shoes :rolleyes1

My older son is approaching size 13 quickly... my husband wears a 15 or 16 based on what kind of shoe. Those suckers don't bend AT ALL.

Love this idea! My croc sandals take up very little room, so it's not mine I am concerned with. It's the 11 year olds size 11's and the 13 year olds size 12+ and the husband's sized 15/16. It just gets to be a lot. We used to ship stuff (diapers), but haven't needed to for a while...might have to go back to shipping just for shoes :rolleyes1
Shoes are always such a pain! Luckily I’m a 6 and DH is an 8. I got 5 pairs into one side of our carry-on and fit a pair of flip-flops for each of us in my purse! :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter