Debating last minute cruise

ChasingDreams

Earning My Ears
Hello, I am a 1st time cruiser. I was debating booking a last minute cruise for my son and I after Thanksgiving. My questions are when cruising am I booking too late to be able to take advantage of any excursions or character dining or meet and greets? I am looking at the 7day cruise either the last week in Nov or 1st few weeks of Dec. Thanks for any advice. We have a spring break cruise booked but after a death in the family and a rough few months I think we need a little R&R to regroup and help us through the holiday season.

Hello, I am a 1st time cruiser. I was debating booking a last minute cruise for my son and I after Thanksgiving. My questions are when cruising am I booking too late to be able to take advantage of any excursions or character dining or meet and greets? I am looking at the 7day cruise either the last week in Nov or 1st few weeks of Dec. Thanks for any advice. We have a spring break cruise booked but after a death in the family and a rough few months I think we need a little R&R to regroup and help us through the holiday season.

First of all, sorry for your loss. I can only speak from my last-minute booking experience in April that I think you will be surprised how much is available to pre-book. We booked 4 weeks ahead of our first cruise and still got the Frozen meet and greet, and there were many excursions still available. The adult dining and drink tastings had filled up online. That said, there is always the option of going first thing when you board the ship to try to book anything you couldn't get online in person; they do hold back seats for on-board bookings for most activities.

Last minute cruises usually mean a shortage of choices when it comes to staterooms. First, however, is deciding how far away you want to go (begin/end) and what you can afford, i.e. 3-14 days. If your son is old enough, sit down with him and get his input. Do you want total relaxation, history, warm weather, bears, iguanas, turtles, etc. There are many travel books (Rick Steves, for example, for Europe) that can help you. Late cruises with DCL are usually more expensive than when they were first posted, contrary to almost every other cruise line. To your point, we just booked a cruise for next March (12 of us) and are scheduled for second seating, but are waitlisted for first. Closer to the date we will hound DCL for the move. Last resort we go to guest services when we board to see what they can do. Free meet and greets usually are first come, first served, so your chances of seeing a princess or character are the same as everyone else. Excursions you book when you make your final payment...I would recommend having two or three lined up, just in case. Some you can book on shore, but if they come back late, the ship might be gone. They will wait, within reason, for their own (DCL) cruises, but no one else's. Good luck!!

You can always book Palo and Remy when you get on the ship as well as character meet and greets (just go there immediately on boarding).

Since it would be a Merrytime cruise, Gingerbread house making is booked on the ship, so you have the same chance as anyone.

Most shore excursions have plenty of room and don't usually fill up as the companies that do them just add another bus / boat / whatever to accommodate whatever the crowd is from all the ships.

Massages (if you are looking) are usually somewhat available, but maybe not the choice times.

Really the main thing you loose in last minute is the choice of cabins is more limited. If they have a cabin that you want, go for it.

Thanks everyone! I think we might do it. I really just want to relax, regroup and spend some time with my little one so I am not too worried about the restaurant reservations. I appreciate all the feedback!

Go for it! Be sure to check out the day passes for the spa’s rainforest room—a great place to totally relax while your little one is having fun in the kids club.

If they have the cabin you want, and you need a break, and you think this cruise will help-go for it! The rest will take care of itself. May you find the space, peace and relaxation that you are looking for.

We really like to cruise at the beginning of December. They tend to be less busy than at other times of the year so you may have more luck in getting excursions or other booking-required activities. We have generally found that there are empty spots in the dining rooms (second seating) during this time so there are probably more rooms available than at other times. Having said that, unless there's an excursion you absolutely have to have, you can have a really good time on a cruise without worrying about having to book a lot of stuff. There's plenty of things going on especially on sea days that require no booking - just show up. Depending on where you're going, you may either not need excursions or there may be enough selection to get something you'd enjoy.

One of the best things about a last minute booking are: you won't stress planning everything. Even if some the the meet and greets are fully booked, there are many chances every day to get your picture with the Disney Characters: from Mickey to Tiana!

Excursions are fun ways to spend your time in port - there may be some limited availability for a few excursions, but most of them you will not have any issue booking. I think that the times you are looking at - the ships will not be overly full.

There are lots of things to do onboard that do not require pre booking.

Go and have a great time - Making Happy Memories!! You can do this while honoring those no longer with you.

Totally get it. My wife's Dad died a number of years ago and we ended up taking a RV to Branson, MO for Christmas. That first holiday season no one wanted to be at home or host so it was a good alternative. Sorry for your loss, have a cruise and think about the good times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter