Debt Dumpers - 2017

This week has been such a money drain. In addition to the tire on the weekend, earlier this week DS’s charger broke off inside his phone. Dh took it to the phone store who said to file an insurance claim. Deductible was $112. Then I did some holiday shopping to start getting ahead. Got some great deals plus Ebates money back and some Kohl’s cash though. Can’t complain really, but it’s always such a huge outlay this time of year.
Isn't that the cold hard truth. I feel your pain.

I'm off to see the wizard....i mean the mouse! Pretty excited i'll be there for Mickey's birthday tomorrow. I'll probably be MIA next week while i'm on vacation from work. I hope everyone on here has a fabulous Thanksgiving and a profitable black Friday (if that's your thing)!

I'm off to see the wizard....i mean the mouse! Pretty excited i'll be there for Mickey's birthday tomorrow. I'll probably be MIA next week while i'm on vacation from work. I hope everyone on here has a fabulous Thanksgiving and a profitable black Friday (if that's your thing)!

Have a fabulous trip!!

DS14 made the high school swim team! So I immediately ordered some new practice jammers to save for the holidays. Swimoutlet.com has some good markdowns right now if anyone else shops there. Soon I’ll get the email with the link to the team suit and warmups which aren’t cheap but we’ll get him whatever he wants of the available items...DS16 got cross country warmups his freshman year and wears them all the time so it’s money well spent.

Last edited:

DS14 made the high school swim team! So I immediately ordered some new practice jammers to save for the holidays. Swimoutlet.com has some good markdowns right now if anyone else shops there. Soon I’ll get the email with the link to the team suit and warmups which aren’t cheap but we’ll get him whatever he wants of the available items...DS16 got cross country warmups his freshman year and wears them all the time so it’s money well spent.
Congratulations to your DS..if you have an AMEX card there are several Amex Offers for swim outlet.com. I saw a spend $25 get $5 back on several cards.

The spending continues but at least we have the money saved and aren’t putting it on a credit card that isn’t paid off in full. I received our first bill for our solar loan which is due in January. It’s $75 a month so not too bad. Dh’s Car loan has already been paid twice and the first payment isn’t due until next month so we are doing great on that end.

Other than that, Christmas shopping is almost done. Will be picking up a few small items on Black Friday like $10 DVDS and iPhone otter box cases ($20 at Walmart).
Oh, DH and I did upgrade our iPhones to the 8 version because of T-Mobile’s bogo deal. I had a 5s and he had an SE. Our bill will be about the same as our current provider.

2017 starting balances:
Student Loans - $12560 + $2075+ $12685 = $27,320
Car Loans - $22034 + $18100 = $40,134

Balances as of 2/8/17:
Student Loans - $10280 + $1052+ $9875 = $21,207 - $6113 change
Car Loans - $21584 + $17389 = $38,973 - $1161 change

Balances as of 3/15/17:
Student Loans - $9036 + $0 + $7685 = $16,721 - $10,599 change
Car Loans - $20685 + $17061 = $37,746 - $2388 change

Balances as of 4/5/17:
Student Loans - $6009 + $0 + $7702 = $13,694 - $13,626 change
Car Loans - $20685 + $17061 = $37,746 - $2388 change

Balances as of 5/15/17:

Student Loans - $5948 + $0 + $7505 = $13,453 - $13,867 change
Car Loans - $19785 + $16705 = $36,490 - $3644 change

Skipped June updates

Balances as of 7/4/17:
Student Loans - $3851 + $0 + $3550 = $7401 - $19,919 change
Car Loans - $19366 + $15994 = $35,360 - $4774 change

Balances as of 8/17/17:

Student Loans - $0 + $0 + $0 = $0 - $27,320 change
Car Loans - $18436 + $15768 = $34,204 - $5930 change

Skipped September updates

Balances as of 10/8/17:

Student Loans - $0 - $27,320 change
Car Loans - $17987 + $15057 = $33,044 - $7090 change

Balances as of 11/20/17:
Student Loans - $0 - $27,320 change from the beginning of the year
Car Loans - $16985 + $14702 = $31,687 - $8477 change from the beginning of the year

Just chugging along here, nothing too exciting to report. I've been working a lot of OT since we got back from the wedding and honeymoon, and we haven't done anything with our extra income since we paid off the student loans in August, so it's just... sitting there. I think just between being busy and now not having those loans, which were our main focus, has made it feel less important to divvy that extra income out. Until then, (maybe this weekend?) it's in my high interest savings account and we'll make a big dent in something, whether it's a savings goal or a car loan.

My work made a big schedule announcement last week, and people are freaking out. We've been working 2 weekends on, 1 weekend off since August, and before that we worked almost every other weekend since the beginning of the year. We had a deadline of Jan 2019 to change some scheduling stuff, but they moved it up to Jan 2018. So we will only be able to work every other weekend. Most are upset, but I think I'm okay with this limit! :) When you throw in some extra hours from meetings and things, and some 12 hour days to help cover other people, those 19 day stretches get really long! Last year we worked every weekend in November and December except Thanksgiving (4 days off) and Christmas(2 days off). I spent New Year's day at work. At least I got triple time for that. This year we were supposed to get the 4 day weekend for Thanksgiving, but now have to come in at 3am on Sunday :crazy2:

Our only big happenings are that we decided on some trip dates. Our WDW APs expire at the end of February, so we had been planning for awhile to go once more in January. So we chose 5 days at the end of the month, and have points to cover flights and hotel. Hopefully we can get a plan together this weekend, because our FP day is next Monday.

Ever since we paid off the student loans, I've had an itch to see the park Christmas decorations, and thought it might be more feasible/I wouldn't feel as bad spending money there since the loans were gone. We also have enough points to cover flights and hotel, and our APs, so expenses would just be food and extras... So we decided to go for it. We figured if we ever get APs again, it won't be for a few years or so, so we decided to take this opportunity. Originally we were thinking a weekend, like Friday to Sunday, but we decided to do a 3 day weekend so we could go to MVMCP. I also found a dining package reservation for the Candlelight Processional. I was debating just trying to get a seat for it, and then when I realize the narrator that weekend is a country singer we both like, I was okay with doing the package. Everything else will be quick service, so that should help the budget. This is basically our Christmas gift for each other. And of course, all food and tickets will be paid for with GCs, to save a few more bucks :thumbsup2

Babies are so hard and I am so exhausted. DD has been having feeding issues. She was diagnosed with reflux. We are giving her medicine now, which she hates to take. Her food intake levels are on the low side (20 oz. per day). She eats slow which makes it hard to increase her intake a lot. So we have started to fortify the breast milk with some formula powder to help up the calories she is getting with each meal. She went down in the weight percentiles and I am a bit worried about that. Hopefully this will help and we see a jump in the next week.

And all of these things have translated into costs for medicine, supplies and just things out of convenience. We have been able to cover everything within our current budget, which is good. But overall, it has been a pricey month. I am hoping things start to calm down and it gets easier, but we are approaching 6 weeks now and it still fells hard, especially with the feeding issues. Not sure how long I will be able to keep up with the pumping, but my goal is to get to the end of my maternity leave and evaluate my next steps then.

Babies are so hard and I am so exhausted. DD has been having feeding issues. She was diagnosed with reflux. We are giving her medicine now, which she hates to take. Her food intake levels are on the low side (20 oz. per day). She eats slow which makes it hard to increase her intake a lot. So we have started to fortify the breast milk with some formula powder to help up the calories she is getting with each meal. She went down in the weight percentiles and I am a bit worried about that. Hopefully this will help and we see a jump in the next week.

And all of these things have translated into costs for medicine, supplies and just things out of convenience. We have been able to cover everything within our current budget, which is good. But overall, it has been a pricey month. I am hoping things start to calm down and it gets easier, but we are approaching 6 weeks now and it still fells hard, especially with the feeding issues. Not sure how long I will be able to keep up with the pumping, but my goal is to get to the end of my maternity leave and evaluate my next steps then.

I'm so sorry for your struggles with feeding! I'm sure she will be back up in weight next week and feeling better. I certainly understand the desire to breastfeed/pump, but I hope for your sake you aren't exhausting yourself more by doing so. Fed is best, and there is absolutely no shame in formula feeding, as others here have discussed before! Sending good thoughts to you and baby Asha and I hope both of you can get some relief!

My baby took a long time to sort out feeding also :( have you tried a shield for nursing? it was the only way my baby could draw, but I def know the like of a slow feeder/pumping all the time..it's really tough for sure...how long are you staying off again? it sounds like she already takes a bottle which is good, that was one piece of advice I was given, give lots of time for the adjustment onto the bottle for return to work (I stayed home 10 months then my DH did 2 and then went back to work part time)

My baby took a long time to sort out feeding also :( have you tried a shield for nursing? it was the only way my baby could draw, but I def know the like of a slow feeder/pumping all the time..it's really tough for sure...how long are you staying off again? it sounds like she already takes a bottle which is good, that was one piece of advice I was given, give lots of time for the adjustment onto the bottle for return to work (I stayed home 10 months then my DH did 2 and then went back to work part time)

We tried the shield, but she was just really fussy with or without it. I am off for 3 months. I feel like that is a good amount of time to have provided breastmilk. It isn't what I originally had envisioned, but as @DisneyMandC said, fed is best. She will do well on the formula. We have had to supplement with it due to supply issues, so I know that she will take it in a bottle without issue once she goes to daycare. I just don't think my sanity will last if I continue further than that.

It isn't what I originally had envisioned

This made me laugh because it could actually sum up the whole experience of being a parent.

I hope you find a compromise that works for you soon. It's hard when things don't go the way we envisioned them, but kids are extremely adaptable. I will confess that I hated breastfeeding -- didn't even consider it as an option after my first. I'm sure some people will say that I am a terrible parent for that, but parenting is like that -- one person's holy grail is another person's "no big deal." Aside from vaccines, which I think should be non-negotiable except for medical reasons, there are so many decisions about raising kids that are just not one-size-fits-all.

This made me laugh because it could actually sum up the whole experience of being a parent.

I hope you find a compromise that works for you soon. It's hard when things don't go the way we envisioned them, but kids are extremely adaptable. I will confess that I hated breastfeeding -- didn't even consider it as an option after my first. I'm sure some people will say that I am a terrible parent for that, but parenting is like that -- one person's holy grail is another person's "no big deal." Aside from vaccines, which I think should be non-negotiable except for medical reasons, there are so many decisions about raising kids that are just not one-size-fits-all.

If the same issues happen with my next baby, I would have a hard time considering going down the same route again. And if the next baby does decide to breastfeed and I hated it, I would probably ditch it. It has been stressful and I feel like I could have done things better over the past few weeks if I hadn't been so worked up over feedings. I have decided to reduce the number of pumping sessions each day, even if it does lead to a decrease in my supply and eventually wean when I get closer to the 3 month mark. I just can't keep up with this schedule. I want to spend more time enjoying my baby and less time worrying about how I am going to fit in one more pump session. It has just taken time for me to come to terms with everything and to overcome my disappointment.

Hi sweetie,,best advice my mom gave me was to sleep when the baby slept,,
I can't advise on breast feeding as I bottle fed ,,,with my first son --he was drinking 2-3 ounces before we left the hospital,,got home and he just wouldn't feed,,,many tears and alot of "oh my god" I can't do this,what the H$LL did I get myself into. They actually thought (Dr.'s) that he had something wrong with his heart.
While we were waiting for a special heart test at the hospital a nurse warmed up a bottle of formula and low and behold he guzzled 8 ounces,,,,turns out the actual nipple of the bottle was what was preventing him from sucking,,whew even recalling this reminds me of some pretty overwhelming feelings and memories from that time.
I had alot of Oh my god I was starving the poor kid" thoughts.
Go by your gut instinct hon and trust yourself you will be fine,
Special Mommy Hugs are being sent your way~!~~~~~~~Mommy Hugs~~~~~~
Hugs Mel

PS
All three of mine proved to have an intolerance to regular formula (Reflux) and ended up on Soyabean formula,,(Prosobee).

Last edited:
Congratulations to your DS..if you have an AMEX card there are several Amex Offers for swim outlet.com. I saw a spend $25 get $5 back on several cards.
I don't...but thanks. I got an email that they're doing suit fittings tomorrow at practice and his will be "only" $35. They must have a special bulk deal.

Babies are so hard and I am so exhausted.
Yes they are. The exhaustion will pass and this kind of hard will too. Until you reach the next hard and the next one etc.. Which believe me, never ends. Lol.

In all seriousness, I'm sorry about the reflux issues etc....that has to be really tough. But you know you're doing everything you can to try to make things easier, so try to not panic. I will keep you in my thoughts.

Sorry things have been rough so far. This baby is showing you who is boss! You can have the best plan in the world but at the end of the day, baby's needs will dictate what happens.

I have a nephew who had BAD reflux as a baby. He wasn't diagnosed until almost a year old because he had a (IMO) terrible pediatrician and my sister was in denial that anything could be wrong with him. The poor kid fell off the charts completely with weight and height. He was so tiny. Once they finally started him on meds, though, and a special thickened formula, he did great! He is now almost seven and although he is a little short for his age, his weight is in the 50th percentile now! He is doing well and has no lasting effects from the reflux and no stomach issues now.

Glad you figured out the issue so early. Your baby will be okay even if she loses weight. Just keep feeding her as much as she can eat and maybe ask your pediatrician about using a thickened formula. Did the pediatrician tell you to add baby formula powder to breast milk? That is kind of a weird suggestion. From what I recall, you should only ever dilute formula powder with water because of the sodium content. Mixing it with breast milk might give her too much of certain minerals since BM is perfectly balanced, so be careful doing that.

So we fell off the wagon completely over here it seems.

We decided over the weekend to get new living room furniture (except for a couch). Our furniture is literally falling apart...it is 16 years old and was cheap Ikea stuff. We want a new , bigger TV too (ours is 10 years old) and can't get one because our TV stand is tiny, so we decided, screw it, we're going ahead and taking advantage of Black Friday sales. We did decide against the $3000 media center we were eyeing from Pottery Barn, and we are going with Ikea again (solid wood stuff though). The line we got were all on sale only until yesterday so we pulled the trigger. I think we got an amazing deal though. A wide bookcase, a narrow glass door bookcase, TV stand and bridge shelf, plus two area rugs, including delivery for $800. We hit up a local furniture store and found a coffee and side table that we loved which will be another $600 (we will get those in a few weeks). The TV we want is down to $1500 from $2250. My plan is to pay everything off with the money my husband is owed due to his delayed promotion (we are currently owed $3500 in back pay which increases $500 every two weeks). So, the money is coming down the pike, which is good I guess. Just means our large credit card debt (still at 0%) will still around a bit longer.

This is something we have been needing to do for a few years now but it's also literally the only thing we need to "upgrade" at home so I'm looking forward to having new stuff FINALLY!

So we fell off the wagon completely over here it seems.

We decided over the weekend to get new living room furniture (except for a couch). Our furniture is literally falling apart...it is 16 years old and was cheap Ikea stuff. We want a new , bigger TV too (ours is 10 years old) and can't get one because our TV stand is tiny, so we decided, screw it, we're going ahead and taking advantage of Black Friday sales. We did decide against the $3000 media center we were eyeing from Pottery Barn, and we are going with Ikea again (solid wood stuff though). The line we got were all on sale only until yesterday so we pulled the trigger. I think we got an amazing deal though. A wide bookcase, a narrow glass door bookcase, TV stand and bridge shelf, plus two area rugs, including delivery for $800. We hit up a local furniture store and found a coffee and side table that we loved which will be another $600 (we will get those in a few weeks). The TV we want is down to $1500 from $2250. My plan is to pay everything off with the money my husband is owed due to his delayed promotion (we are currently owed $3500 in back pay which increases $500 every two weeks). So, the money is coming down the pike, which is good I guess. Just means our large credit card debt (still at 0%) will still around a bit longer.

This is something we have been needing to do for a few years now but it's also literally the only thing we need to "upgrade" at home so I'm looking forward to having new stuff FINALLY!
Good for you! Sometimes you just need to enjoy things while you're here, you know?

Good for you! Sometimes you just need to enjoy things while you're here, you know?

Exactly. And TV is a big deal to me and my husband. We don't go to the movies hardly ever and we play lots of video games iin our family. We use the TV daily. And while ours works, it's small and outdated. We figured might as well splurge on a new one since it's basically our main form of entertainment!

And the furniture has moved cross country twice now and just taken a beating, and it's literally being held together by duct tape in some cases. The coffee table top is destroyed and literally has the corners chewed up (courtesy of our teething toddler who is now 13!). It's kind of embarrassing still having it. Although it goes to show you the longevity of Ikea stuff! We wanted something better quality this time but since we are still in a rental home, we didn't want to buy something for a space that isn't ours long term. The good furniture will come when we retire from the military and settle down long term. Some more Ikea stuff will get us through another few years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter