Debt Dumpers - 2018

I'm going back and forth on opening another checking for rent. We have one checking, but the owner takes a really long time to cash our rent check so I'm thinking maybe I'd like it separate so our checking account can be "cleaner". We are going to ask them to look into paypal or some other method other than personal check but we don't think they are going to get it. They are out of state.

I dealt with this with my previous out of state landlords and it was a huge pain. One month the check was lost in the mail but they never told me until I asked about it. They routinely took a long time to cash the checks so I didn't ask right away thinking that was the case again. Anyway, I feel your pain! Luckily my new landlord lives here and also has all payments set up on a rental website so tenants can pay rent, pet rent, water bills etc on there.

Does anyone have two checking accounts, specifically one for rent/mortgage and the other for other bills/spending? I'm debating on separating my rent due away from our other checking.
Kind of.We have a checking account,savings account,an account for web purchases,and an account for taxes/homeowner's insurance.Thinking of adding a vacation account.It works out just fine.

I dealt with this with my previous out of state landlords and it was a huge pain. One month the check was lost in the mail but they never told me until I asked about it. They routinely took a long time to cash the checks so I didn't ask right away thinking that was the case again. Anyway, I feel your pain! Luckily my new landlord lives here and also has all payments set up on a rental website so tenants can pay rent, pet rent, water bills etc on there.

Mine is out of state too, but she has an account opened up here at a local bank that she gave us the account number to so we can deposit. I actually asked her if I could split my rent into bi-weekly payments and have work just direct deposit right to her account. So much easier than me driving to go deposit. Although, in November I have a 3 check month, so I think I'm going to change it to $1 for one week. (Lucky me I can change it week to week on my own without HR getting involved).

You guys, you guys, you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm crazy excited! I just checked our mortgage balance. It is significantly lower than my snowball tracker. I plugged in the balance as of today and WE WILL BE PAID OFF a year sooner! In three years! Excuse me while I banana dance across the screen: :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

3 years!! That's awesome! So jealous! I have over 300K and 17 years left :sigh:

3 years!! That's awesome! So jealous! I have over 300K and 17 years left :sigh:
We started out close to there with our mortgage. DH loves to shop for refinancing every 2-3 years. The last time he did that (2016), our payment went up $12/month and we went from 12 years left to 7. It pays to keep on top of that! We've also dropped in some random principal only payments over the years, bonuses that he received or money his grandma gave him. Didn't realize it'd just help out so much!

Last day of work before our Disney trip. Bags are mostly packed and gift cards are purchased. August is a 3 pay check month for me so I have some extra money to really enjoy our trip. I’m budgeting about $1500 for food for our 8 day trip. We have 8 table service ADRs, so it will be tight but we tend to eat less when it’s so hot. I scored a Saturday night ADR at ‘Ohana and a new experience is at Teppen Edo.

Mine is out of state too, but she has an account opened up here at a local bank that she gave us the account number to so we can deposit. I actually asked her if I could split my rent into bi-weekly payments and have work just direct deposit right to her account. So much easier than me driving to go deposit. Although, in November I have a 3 check month, so I think I'm going to change it to $1 for one week. (Lucky me I can change it week to week on my own without HR getting involved).

Does your bank do bill pay? You might look into setting that up to send 2 checks a month, scheduled right after you get paid. Then you don't have to mess with adjusting direct deposits during the 3 paycheck months. Depending on exactly how you set it up though, you might have to remember to "skip" a payment in the 3 check months.

Does your bank do bill pay? You might look into setting that up to send 2 checks a month, scheduled right after you get paid. Then you don't have to mess with adjusting direct deposits during the 3 paycheck months. Depending on exactly how you set it up though, you might have to remember to "skip" a payment in the 3 check months.

I don't use a real bank. I use a payroll card. It has far more perks than my traditional bank did. Either way, I'd have to log in to change that one payment, so I don't think it's too big a deal.

My neighbor had a really nice, large and expensive Step 2 playset in their backyard. When we went on our morning walk on Wednesday, I saw that they put half of the playset out for the trash. I told DH that DD would be the perfect age for it next summer and then we wouldn't have to shell out the money for one. So I made DH help me drag the pieces to our garage. I tried to message the neighbor on FB and rang their doorbell to ask about the other half, but no response. They must have noticed anyways, since it was sitting by our garage door and they put the other half of the playset in our backyard on Friday morning. We just assembled it in our backyard and it is going to be awesome for DD. I looked up how much the playset cost. It is a slightly older model than what they currently sell, but basically the same. Current model costs $679.99!

My neighbor had a really nice, large and expensive Step 2 playset in their backyard. When we went on our morning walk on Wednesday, I saw that they put half of the playset out for the trash. I told DH that DD would be the perfect age for it next summer and then we wouldn't have to shell out the money for one. So I made DH help me drag the pieces to our garage. I tried to message the neighbor on FB and rang their doorbell to ask about the other half, but no response. They must have noticed anyways, since it was sitting by our garage door and they put the other half of the playset in our backyard on Friday morning. We just assembled it in our backyard and it is going to be awesome for DD. I looked up how much the playset cost. It is a slightly older model than what they currently sell, but basically the same. Current model costs $679.99!

Wow, that's crazy that they would put it out for trash pickup rather than donating it somewhere! Glad it found a good home with you guys!

Much success over the weekend, dishwasher was throwing up an error code but we youtube and fixed it ourselves. Well, after DH gave up and wanted to call a repairer I had a look, found the bit thar was stuck in the pump and then he got it out ;)

BIL was over too and was talking over deck plans with DH. He's a formworker and pretty capable on the tools. FIL is the big motivator in the build it yourself camp, he has all the tools but his execution is always half competent home handyman with high aspirations, which is what ins making DH want to pay a professional! If BIL is able to help out too then we have a much better shot at diy-ing and saving several $k.

DH and I have been slowly working at paying off our debt. I would like to retire from my corporate job in 9 years so in order to do that we need to be completely out of debt. I will still work, as I will only be 50, but I would like to work a low stress, enjoyable job. We have the below debt still left to pay. DH has a credit card that is 0% interest until May of next year but I don't know exact amount.

I know we could get out of debt sooner if we don't take any vacations but I work a really high stressed - long hour day job and I need that time for my own mental health. We have decided though that our vacations could still be fun just not big expensive ones. I am saving up for a daughter/mom spring break trip to Disney in March, but as of right now that is only vacation planned. I am trying to use as much "found" money as possible to pay for that trip.

We have cut cable and we eat out only once a month. We pack our meals and drinks everyday so no extra food spending. I am trying to reduce the grocery budget. I currently spend about $900/month for 2 adults, 2 teens, and a dog. This includes everything food, bath, and household items.

I did refinish our kitchen table and chairs over the weekend as they were in bad shape. It only cost $50 for the supplies. We also did a big fundraiser for volleyball for daughter so I only have to pay $5 for her to play. It was 16 hrs of our time but it would have cost us $255 for her to play otherwise.

Sorry for the long post I just feel overwhelmed and I am trying to ensure we meet our goal. Life is too short to be stuck in debt and working so hard you can't enjoy it. I lost my dad a few years ago and there were so many things he wanted to do when he retired. He never got the chance!

House: $73,643 - if we don't do anything extra will be paid for in 6 years
My Car: $34,860
Teens Car: $2,400
Credit card: $2,385
DH's Credit Card: ??

I don't use a real bank. I use a payroll card. It has far more perks than my traditional bank did. Either way, I'd have to log in to change that one payment, so I don't think it's too big a deal.
I've never heard of payroll cards! Going to look those up...

DH and I have been slowly working at paying off our debt. I would like to retire from my corporate job in 9 years so in order to do that we need to be completely out of debt. I will still work, as I will only be 50, but I would like to work a low stress, enjoyable job. We have the below debt still left to pay. DH has a credit card that is 0% interest until May of next year but I don't know exact amount.

I know we could get out of debt sooner if we don't take any vacations but I work a really high stressed - long hour day job and I need that time for my own mental health. We have decided though that our vacations could still be fun just not big expensive ones. I am saving up for a daughter/mom spring break trip to Disney in March, but as of right now that is only vacation planned. I am trying to use as much "found" money as possible to pay for that trip.

We have cut cable and we eat out only once a month. We pack our meals and drinks everyday so no extra food spending. I am trying to reduce the grocery budget. I currently spend about $900/month for 2 adults, 2 teens, and a dog. This includes everything food, bath, and household items.

I did refinish our kitchen table and chairs over the weekend as they were in bad shape. It only cost $50 for the supplies. We also did a big fundraiser for volleyball for daughter so I only have to pay $5 for her to play. It was 16 hrs of our time but it would have cost us $255 for her to play otherwise.

Sorry for the long post I just feel overwhelmed and I am trying to ensure we meet our goal. Life is too short to be stuck in debt and working so hard you can't enjoy it. I lost my dad a few years ago and there were so many things he wanted to do when he retired. He never got the chance!

House: $73,643 - if we don't do anything extra will be paid for in 6 years
My Car: $34,860
Teens Car: $2,400
Credit card: $2,385
DH's Credit Card: ??
Isn't it nice to look ahead at retirement? How are you keeping track of paying down your debt? I use a snowball chart, but I'm not a hard and fast Dave Ramsey chick. Like you, I need vacations to reset. Check out the balance on the DH's CC. That is the sole reason I am on this board. It took a lot to come back from that, both financially and personally, so it's better to know ahead of time.

Kudos on the volleyball fundraiser and refinishing the table! Things like that add up quickly. Sounds like you're getting a great handle on paying it all down! It's easy to feel overwhelmed at the beginning, when you see everything written down. But, I can't wait to start churning CC's and earning rewards to enjoying more travel.

Wow, that's crazy that they would put it out for trash pickup rather than donating it somewhere! Glad it found a good home with you guys!

Honestly, I was surprised they didn't ask us if we wanted it, given that they know we have a little kid. But I don't like that neighbor very much, so I guess I am not too surprised . . .

Just got my merit pay increase letter. My pay will be going up 2.75% starting next month. Pretty standard cost of living increase of the university. I ran some numbers earlier in the month assuming a 2% increase, so this gives me a good idea of what we can expect. Still waiting to find out what DH's increase will be, but he should be hearing soon since his will also be effective next month too. Hoping that his increase will be a little bigger since his salary is lower than mine. We will see.

Well, we charged $1300 in plane tickets to go see my mil next month. She broke her hip this summer and is doing well but it will be a while until she can drive again and she’s getting a little cabin fever, even though we have family that is taking her where she needs to go. The kids start school in a couple weeks and have sports and are finishing up their summer jobs so don’t want to go right now. We were going to go see her a couple weeks ago but postponed when she was in rehab. She’s home now so we’ll go when the kids have a three day weekend, but quick trip so we’re flying.

Don’t regret any of it but we were trying to not put anything on the card since this is DS17’s senior year and it will be an expensive one, esp with trying to figure out what college costs are going to be. He’ll get a lot of money from several schools bc he has high grades and scores but until we know where he is going, won’t know how far the 529 will stretch. We will probably also have to adjust what we’re putting into retirement when he starts college too. Not to not put in, but to not max out for a few years.

We won’t even get into how hard a time I am having with this emotionally already....where did the years go??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts