Debt Dumpers - 2018

Ok I've been following this thread for a little bit. I just wanted to vent about my bank. I had a credit card and the interest rate was 23.6% I called to see if they would reduce it and they didn't budge. They said that they couldn't do anything so I said close it. The woman said ok done. I'm just so frustrated because this is the bank that has my mortgage, small loan, second mortgage and where I bank. I haven't been late or missed a payment. I am just disappointed in them.
That is a terrible interest rate. Some banks though just aren't too accommodating on some of the products, sad but true. Do you still need a card or have a need to keep a balance on the card? To be honest, I pay not much attention at all to my credit card interest rates. I do note them, like I know my USAA card is a bit cheaper than some of my other ones. One thing that gets me annoyed on cards is the times I've had to use MoneyGram, they really seem to get you good on those and then seems like a sneaky extra charge the next statement and the moneygram I literally paid off the next day on the card, and that drives me crazy. But anyway.....I try not to use it at all, but of course, a few family emergencies required it.

However, I pay off the balance monthly usually (aside from the moneygram situation I described which I paid immediately). Now, I just happen to be in a situation at the moment where I needed to maintain a balance on a card, sort of like a short term loan to myself. I ended up opening two credit cards with 0% interest for 15 months on balance transfers on one card with no balance transfer fee, and on both cards 0% on purchases for 18 months. Yes, now some might say my credit score will take a hit. I was willing to take a chance on it as I needed to have this option available to me. I can definitely have the balance paid off by the time the promotion expires, I already have one of the balances paid. However, we are about to move and are looking at needing new furniture, and whatever else is coming up with this so I'm glad I have this option at the moment.

When we had our mortgage with our last home we had our cards with Chase, but our mortgage was Nationstar via USAA.

Getting settled into my new place and I have to say that I do really like the neighborhood, probably a bit better than my old one. My place is smaller so I'm still getting used to that though.

I've decided to apply the savings I will get by switching my dog's pet insurance this month (a $55/month savings) to getting internet again. It is just too much of a pain to be without it since I am used to doing some work emails from home as well as my online timecard. My boss is also open to letting us work from home some days. Thursday I stayed home sick but had to go somewhere with wifi just to fill out my timecard for the two week period since it was due that day.

Anyway, beyond that - I've emailed my old landlords about getting my security deposit back since I haven't heard a word from them about it. They have 30 days to return it to me if everything looked good at the house, and I left it cleaner and in better condition then when I moved in.

ETA: Landlord responded that they will send my deposit back this week - woohoo!

Last edited:
Holey moley, so many posts! We are back from our trip to the US, spent way too much on souvenirs for the kids out of guilt, along with spending the same on food for the two of us as we would with the kids because we kept eating at nice places! Now moving is next on the to do list. Will come back in and read through tonight.

A not so great day.

DH was driving home from work and just 3 houses away from ours, an 11 year old on an unlicensed, non-street legal moped ran a stop sign. DH braked as hard as he could, but he wasn't able to stop in time to avoid a collision. He hit the kid, though he seemed mostly fine. Seemed to be just cuts and bruises. DH is really upset about the whole thing and feels terrible, even though he did nothing wrong and couldn't possibly have avoided it.

And DH's car is pretty messed up, so now we get to deal with the insurance issues. I have no idea what is going to happen since it was a kid on a moped. But I am sure it will all work itself out, since the police officer made it very clear that DH wasn't at fault and we have good insurance coverage. But this probably means that we will need to cover the $1k deductible from our emergency fund while it all gets sorted out.

A not so great day.

DH was driving home from work and just 3 houses away from ours, an 11 year old on an unlicensed, non-street legal moped ran a stop sign. DH braked as hard as he could, but he wasn't able to stop in time to avoid a collision. He hit the kid, though he seemed mostly fine. Seemed to be just cuts and bruises. DH is really upset about the whole thing and feels terrible, even though he did nothing wrong and couldn't possibly have avoided it.

And DH's car is pretty messed up, so now we get to deal with the insurance issues. I have no idea what is going to happen since it was a kid on a moped. But I am sure it will all work itself out, since the police officer made it very clear that DH wasn't at fault and we have good insurance coverage. But this probably means that we will need to cover the $1k deductible from our emergency fund while it all gets sorted out.
Sorry about the accident. Glad everyone is ok physically.

We are chugging along. We have our trip in 40 days to look forward to. Finalized my ADRs and fastpasses. I will order a case of water and some food items on amazon now since we won’t have a car. Thinking about ditching the car for August as well since we will only need it to get to HS. That would save $150.

Our agent is having a special buffet breakfast in Pandora at Salui Canteen restaurant which gives us exclusive access to FOP before the park opens. It includes breakfast and transportation to AK on August 26. I signed us up for $57 per Disney adult and $47 for my 9 year old. Paid through PayPal on my chase freedom for the points.

Making ADRs for our November trip tomorrow.Want to try some new places. I think I’ll book whispering canyon at wilderness Lodge. Never done that before.

A not so great day.

Wow, that is scary! Good thing no one got hurt. It's a hassle dealing with ins and repairs but it could have been so much worse. :hug:

Wow, that is scary! Good thing no one got hurt. It's a hassle dealing with ins and repairs but it could have been so much worse. :hug:

Yes, this is the second time DH has been hit and his car is only 2 years old! Someone rear ended him the winter before last and it took a while before his car got repaired and we were fully reimbursed, but it did eventually work itself out. I am sure it will be fine this time as well.

I guess I should apply for that new credit card that I was planning to apply for, since I will be paying a $1k deductible soon.

A not so great day.

Yikes!! How scary!! Glad it wasn't any worse. I don't know how any of this works, but is there any way that the kid's parents' insurance would kick in for something like this? I could be way off base but just thought I'd ask.

We are chugging along. We have our trip in 40 days to look forward to. Finalized my ADRs and fastpasses. I will order a case of water and some food items on amazon now since we won’t have a car. Thinking about ditching the car for August as well since we will only need it to get to HS. That would save $150.

Our agent is having a special buffet breakfast in Pandora at Salui Canteen restaurant which gives us exclusive access to FOP before the park opens. It includes breakfast and transportation to AK on August 26. I signed us up for $57 per Disney adult and $47 for my 9 year old. Paid through PayPal on my chase freedom for the points.

Making ADRs for our November trip tomorrow.Want to try some new places. I think I’ll book whispering canyon at wilderness Lodge. Never done that before.

That'll be nice to get into FOP early! I love that ride. Might be my current park favorite. Our ADRs open up for our November trip on Saturday, but we're only doing maybe one. Not many appealing options in HS and we're doing the Christmas party the night before so it'll just be CS for that. It's been a long time since I've eaten at Whispering Canyon, but I remember loving the food. I assume you already know about the atmosphere- as long as you're into that kind of thing then it's a great time!

Yes, this is the second time DH has been hit and his car is only 2 years old! Someone rear ended him the winter before last and it took a while before his car got repaired and we were fully reimbursed, but it did eventually work itself out. I am sure it will be fine this time as well.

I guess I should apply for that new credit card that I was planning to apply for, since I will be paying a $1k deductible soon.
Is it bad this was my thought when I got rear ended and hail damage a week apart last year? ;)
I'm glad everyone is okay! Now just the headaches of insurance and repairs. I'm sure it's hard for DH not to feel bad even though it's not his fault :(

Yikes!! How scary!! Glad it wasn't any worse. I don't know how any of this works, but is there any way that the kid's parents' insurance would kick in for something like this? I could be way off base but just thought I'd ask.

It seemed like his grandmother is his guardian, since she is the one who showed up. But I assume that either her insurance will kick in or else my insurance company will pursue a case in civil court if her insurance won't cover it. Regardless, his legal guardian is definitely the one that will be on the hook for the damages but I assume that my insurance company will take the lead in pursuing recovery for damages.

Is it bad this was my thought when I got rear ended and hail damage a week apart last year? ;)

Yeah, I feel a little bad thinking that, but I know the charge is coming and I planned to apply for the CIC anyways, so . . .

That'll be nice to get into FOP early! I love that ride. Might be my current park favorite. Our ADRs open up for our November trip on Saturday, but we're only doing maybe one. Not many appealing options in HS and we're doing the Christmas party the night before so it'll just be CS for that. It's been a long time since I've eaten at Whispering Canyon, but I remember loving the food. I assume you already know about the atmosphere- as long as you're into that kind of thing then it's a great time!

I haven't eaten at Whispering Canyon. What is the atmosphere like?

It's a little bit like 50s Primetime Cafe. Slight waiter harassment/attitude, that sort of thing (all in good fun). They sometimes get the whole restaurant in on a song or things like that. I remember one time when we had my 9 year old nephew with us that our waiter took the big Mickey hands my nephew had been wearing and put them on and then wore them around the restaurant for about five minutes. If you ask for ketchup, they'll bring you 10 bottles, etc. All funny stuff, but I get that some people just don't like that kind of thing during a meal too, which is fine.

A not so great day.

I am so grateful no one was hurt. Thinking about your DH and hoping he is feeling less upset soon. Those "what-if's" can just bore into your mind.

I keep looking at the calendar and trying to finalize the ADR picks for next month. May is a particularly busy month and I'm nearly in tears looking at my schedule.
Some people have posted negative reviews for the food, but we've had meals on two previous trips and it was wonderful. The first was a large family dinner (there were 11 of us) and it was really fun to have the space and have my nephew ask for ketchup. The second time was the arrival time from h***, due to airplane mechanical nightmares. Our original arrival was supposed to be 3 pm. At 11 pm, we finally checked into the WL. Whispering Canyon was still open and it was wonderful to sit, look at the lobby (which has amazing Christmas decor), and have a delicious, hot meal. The server was exceptionally kind when he heard about our delays.

The good with me: Sold our trailer!!! Got exactly the amount I asked for with a local buyer, after weeding out several out of the area callers trying to lowball me by $1k. A portion of that pays for our trip!

The bad: I haven't looked at my spreadsheet in 10 days. I know it's going to be rough getting it all sorted again, but it'll happen today. The thought is overwhelming. On top of that, DH's truck is in the shop for a mystery fluid leak. That trailer money may not fund the trip. It may go straight to the mechanic. :(

We ate there for the first time in 2015. It's definitely a fun atmosphere if there are a lot of families. When we went it was kind of empty so they focused on us lol. TONS of food and my niece had fun when they had the kids activities.

A not so great day.

This makes me so mad for your DH. Golf carts are a big thing in our neighborhood and kids zip around in them ignoring all stop signs. A few years ago a child fell out of the back of one and was killed (the back of her head hit the pavement) -- you would think this would have meant the end of the golf carts, and they did seem to be less common for a while, but I have already seen a few groups of kids out on them this month.

A not so great day.

Ugh that's terrible. I hope it all will be okay

Grabbed the Whispering canyon ADR this morning. I didn’t make too many as we plan to enjoy the food and wine festival. I’m on the fence about the Christmas party. Don’t know if I want to spend the money.
I was also refunded $1600.00 which will go towards our annual passes making them not as expensive as I anticipated.

Well, looks like both of my kids will be gainfully employed this summer! DS17 got a job at a Panera and DS15 has started the onboarding process for a group of pools he wants to lifeguard at. However, DS17 was told he'd be emailed papers yesterday to fill out and wasn't and DS15 can't make the mandatory meeting because he has a band concert for school (part of his grade) that same night. DS17 said he'll go down to ask about the paperwork tomorrow after his AP review session if he doesn't get the email today (love that he can drive!) and DS15 is supposed to hear back from someone about an alternate date but hasn't yet. Need to remind him to follow up. Tomorrow I am taking him to the bank to open a checking account because one of the forms we need to upload is direct deposit. I have been stressed about all this...not sure why exactly because it seems like it's going to work out....but I am a high anxiety person a lot of the time anyway. I also need to take DS17 to get some collared shirts for working. It's just surreal to me that they are both old enough for this.

In other news, I think in my check next week I should be getting my overtime from my work trip, so I can pay off the grill. It's awesome, we've been using it 3-4 times a week since we got it. Not much else to report. I signed the kids up for their summer swim team in cash and we've been pretty steady lately with saving and getting rid of the last little bit on the other CC from the Hamilton tickets. A few bigger expenditures are coming up, Mother's Day brunch and then in the next few weeks we'll have two back to back weekends with family visiting, which always means eating out at least once.

Hope everyone is doing well, and a Happy Mother's Day to all to whom it applies :).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter