Debt Dumpers - 2018

Not sure if this applies to everyone but ds got a small discount off the interest rate for doing autopay from a bank account. Does your loan include this too?

My loans with the Dept of Education through Fed Loan Servicing do, but this one does not! This was actually a small loan that my school offered. It had a much lower interest rate than a standard student loan, but doesn't have any of the options like public service loan forgiveness or discounted interest. I think I get .25% off on all my other loans though.

We are headed on our cruise next week! I'm so excited. Glad this was all paid off some time ago-all as in the cost of the cruise, one excursion, and airlines. What's not paid off is the hotel day before, the shuttle to/from airport, excursions, food during trip, dog boarding, airport parking, and whatever we end up spending on board or in port. We paid one excursion off through Carnival already, on another excursion we are doing privately and paid half already on that with the other half due in port. And the last port Cozumel we aren't doing any excursion have nothing booked per se but we've been there before quite a few times and know what it's like, know what we are planning on doing, so we are anticipating a few hundred. Whenever we cruise again we are going Disney, that's my bucket list!

Just found this thread. Maybe you all can join in my happiness.

All of last year, my Disney Chase Visa hovered around a $1500 balance. I was putting things on and paying for them, but not paying down the existing debt. I started 2018 at $1200, which in itself was thrilling. But in the past 4-5 months, I've gotten it down to $450. With plans to have it paid off completely by the end of July!!! I'm so thrilled, I can hardly stand it. I can't remember the last time it was under $1000.

This has helped tremendously with paying for my upcoming Disney trip. I have saved about half of my trip budget and should be mostly there by the time the trip rolls around, with maybe $200 left to save. Now I can put my vacation on my credit card without having a heart attack. I'd pay it off immediately with my trip savings, but the idea of having that $200 on my credit card and paying it off after the trip isn't so scary without that $1500 ball and chain around my neck. The stress of having to save every cent before the plane takes off is completely gone.

It's amazing what a little debt relief can do for your state of mind.

Just found this thread. Maybe you all can join in my happiness.

All of last year, my Disney Chase Visa hovered around a $1500 balance. I was putting things on and paying for them, but not paying down the existing debt. I started 2018 at $1200, which in itself was thrilling. But in the past 4-5 months, I've gotten it down to $450. With plans to have it paid off completely by the end of July!!! I'm so thrilled, I can hardly stand it. I can't remember the last time it was under $1000.

This has helped tremendously with paying for my upcoming Disney trip. I have saved about half of my trip budget and should be mostly there by the time the trip rolls around, with maybe $200 left to save. Now I can put my vacation on my credit card without having a heart attack. I'd pay it off immediately with my trip savings, but the idea of having that $200 on my credit card and paying it off after the trip isn't so scary without that $1500 ball and chain around my neck. The stress of having to save every cent before the plane takes off is completely gone.

It's amazing what a little debt relief can do for your state of mind.
Welcome! Glad you found this little troop of advice givers and uplifting people. They've inspired me on my journey to become debt free (next August, hopefully!).

I can't WAIT for the day when I say I have $1200 left, because that'll be the last payment I make on that card. <3

In a random bout of "bettering myself" I decided to fill out the FAFSA to go back to school this fall. Since I am technically a single mother, it looks like I've been approved for a Pell Grant! One large enough to cover all expenses related to school. I'm so excited because this could be what I really need to get on the path to am actual career. And not having an out of pocket or a student loan is an even bigger plus!

So, small sigh of relief, maybe. Hopefully.

I'm currently up to 4 roommates in my house. 1 of them (the fiance) has been unemployed since the third week in March. Another one (the ex [and yes, there is a LONG story associated with that] who owes me about $1000) has been unemployed since the first of April, but only sporadically contributed to the bills for the past several years. The third only moved in a couple of weeks ago (and owes me about $1500 for the deposit and rent), and has been looking for a job since arrival.

Yesterday afternoon, they all went to turn in applications and interview at a local crop-dusting business. According to what they said when they got home, they ALL got hired!! Starting work on Monday. It will pay about $14/hour, working 12-14 hour days, 6 days a week through the middle of September. After that, it will cut back on time, but they all should still be able to get 8-10 hours a day, 4-5 days a week during the winter season.

If I can make it through the next 10-16 days, my problems won't be over, but having regular income (and payment on the back rent they owe) from all three will definitely make it easier to continue dumping debt and means we'll be able to pay for the wedding we want.

In a random bout of "bettering myself" I decided to fill out the FAFSA to go back to school this fall. Since I am technically a single mother, it looks like I've been approved for a Pell Grant! One large enough to cover all expenses related to school. I'm so excited because this could be what I really need to get on the path to am actual career. And not having an out of pocket or a student loan is an even bigger plus!

Congrats Hon!
I had three kids all under 5 years when I decided to go back to school.
It was a lot of hard work BUT it has changed and helped my life in so many great ways.
You can do it!
Hugs Mel

This is AMAZING! What a huge relief!! Any time you can get a grant for school, it’s a good day!!

Well, I was planning to switch my dog's pet insurance, but I just found a dark lump on her side so need to take her to the vet. Hoping it is benign but I know they'll need to do a biopsy or remove it and then test it to make sure. There's a vet just a couple of blocks from my new place, so I think I will see if I can take her there.

At this point I'm honestly just feeling like, oh well, it's just money. I've pretty much given up on any debt dumping plans I had for this year.

Well, I was planning to switch my dog's pet insurance, but I just found a dark lump on her side so need to take her to the vet. Hoping it is benign but I know they'll need to do a biopsy or remove it and then test it to make sure. There's a vet just a couple of blocks from my new place, so I think I will see if I can take her there.

At this point I'm honestly just feeling like, oh well, it's just money. I've pretty much given up on any debt dumping plans I had for this year.

Thinking of you and hoping for the best!
Hugs Mel

Thinking of you and hoping for the best!
Hugs Mel

Thanks, Mel - I looked at it again just now and saw that it is flaking off so I think it's just a scab. I'll keep an eye on it this week and if it looks fine I will go ahead with my plans to switch her pet insurance. Just don't want to be in the middle of a switch in insurance and have something happen!

Friends! I just got off the phone from booking a trip to French Quarter for August 5-10th! At a great price--and with a River View for the first time!
I am so excited. We haven't been since 2015. It is a non parks trip, soaking up the sun and the pool and the gorgeous landscaping, the cobbled streets and the clip-clop of horses and the light jazz music and the boat ride to Riverside and Disney Springs. 5 nights and six days, right before school starts for us both and after a myriad of summer commitments and tasks in June and July.

I put money in a vacation account every month, and we go on a nice summer vacation every other year. But today, only four hours ago, haha, my DD17 asked if we could possibly go this year instead of next because she is graduating next year and that summer will be all about making money and packing and getting ready for college. This summer is all about working her tail off on getting a lot of audition pieces ready for the fall screening auditions for music schools (she is a pianist). I have been saving more, thinking that we would go on a bigger, grander, more expensive trip next summer. But she said, "I would love for us to go to Florida this summer, Mom." I am fine with no vacation next year." I will definitely have enough in the account for a small getaway next summer. Heck, how many more times will I get her eager (and available) to go on a "hang and relax with Mom" vacation in a place we both love? She has been there in 2016 with her school Band, tearing up all the parks with her friends, and so she is glad to have a nice chill vacation before her hectic senior year starts up. I am cool with it! Our trip in 2015 was planned last minute, too, because I was desperate for sun and warmth, after the Polar Vortex winter and a damp and wet June where we live. And we had a great time.

I am so pleased that I learned to budget from the DIS about 8 or 9 years ago. It has allowed me to take my DD on some nice vacations as well as ease any anxiety about how I would pay for it. One tip I learned is to plan a trip that does not drain the vacation account down to the last dollar. Leave enough in there that I have a real head start on saving for the next one over the coming year(s).

Just wanted to share. We don't do Disney the way most people do. We order from Garden Grocer and eat at the two Port Orleans food courts; sometimes we do the parks for 2-3 days, sometimes not. One time we did a split stay with FQ and the Hyatt Grand Cypress and its super-impressive pools and combined it with a conference I had there at the Hyatt. I don't want to drive at all while there, so we do DME and use the Disney buses, boats or a cab to go anywhere else we want to go.

Just wanted to share! Thanks for reading along with me. :daisy:

Friends! I just got off the phone from booking a trip to French Quarter for August 5-10th! At a great price--and with a River View for the first time!
I am so excited. We haven't been since 2015. It is a non parks trip, soaking up the sun and the pool and the gorgeous landscaping, the cobbled streets and the clip-clop of horses and the light jazz music and the boat ride to Riverside and Disney Springs. 5 nights and six days, right before school starts for us both and after a myriad of summer commitments and tasks in June and July.

I put money in a vacation account every month, and we go on a nice summer vacation every other year. But today, only four hours ago, haha, my DD17 asked if we could possibly go this year instead of next because she is graduating next year and that summer will be all about making money and packing and getting ready for college. This summer is all about working her tail off on getting a lot of audition pieces ready for the fall screening auditions for music schools (she is a pianist). I have been saving more, thinking that we would go on a bigger, grander, more expensive trip next summer. But she said, "I would love for us to go to Florida this summer, Mom." I am fine with no vacation next year." I will definitely have enough in the account for a small getaway next summer. Heck, how many more times will I get her eager (and available) to go on a "hang and relax with Mom" vacation in a place we both love? She has been there in 2016 with her school Band, tearing up all the parks with her friends, and so she is glad to have a nice chill vacation before her hectic senior year starts up. I am cool with it! Our trip in 2015 was planned last minute, too, because I was desperate for sun and warmth, after the Polar Vortex winter and a damp and wet June where we live. And we had a great time.

I am so pleased that I learned to budget from the DIS about 8 or 9 years ago. It has allowed me to take my DD on some nice vacations as well as ease any anxiety about how I would pay for it. One tip I learned is to plan a trip that does not drain the vacation account down to the last dollar. Leave enough in there that I have a real head start on saving for the next one over the coming year(s).

Just wanted to share. We don't do Disney the way most people do. We order from Garden Grocer and eat at the two Port Orleans food courts; sometimes we do the parks for 2-3 days, sometimes not. One time we did a split stay with FQ and the Hyatt Grand Cypress and its super-impressive pools and combined it with a conference I had there at the Hyatt. I don't want to drive at all while there, so we do DME and use the Disney buses, boats or a cab to go anywhere else we want to go.

Just wanted to share! Thanks for reading along with me. :daisy:
Have fun..your trip sounds lovely and absolutely no judgment from me.

20 days to go for our trip. The suitcases are out and we’re starting to pack. Magic bands are here and ME tags arrived last week. Since we are only going for 3 nights, and it’s my DH’s 44th birthday on the trip, I upgraded us to the Grand Floridian using the summer discount. My raise and retroactive pay hit my account on Friday so I have the money. I also didn’t pay for flights or tickets (used points) so it wasn’t as bad financially as it could be. I prepaid our POR stay so I paid just the difference to move us to GF.

I will be spending a significant amount on upgrading our free tickets to APs but I’ve been buying Disney gift cards to help with the cost. I have $1650 in gift cards to help defray the cost.

I also plan to buy the tables in wonderland card for discounts in dining.We have some great ADRs lined up. I was able to secure a reservation at California Grill for this upcoming trip. I got Be Our Guest dinner for our November trip and Ohana and Le Cellier dinner for August.

In budget related news, I’m going to up my 401k contribution at work to account for my raise. Other than that, just feeling very fortunate and chugging along.

Last edited:
20 days to go for our trip. The suitcases are out and we’re starting to pack. Magic bands are here and ME tags arrived last week. Since we are only going for 3 nights, and it’s my DH’s 44th birthday on the trip, I upgraded us to the Grand Floridian using the summer discount. My raise and retroactive pay hit my account on Friday so I have the money. I also didn’t pay for flights or tickets (used points) so it wasn’t as bad financially as it could be. I prepaid our POR stay so I paid just the difference to move us to GF.

I will be spending a significant amount on upgrading our free tickets to APs but I’ve been buying Disney gift cards to help with the cost. I have $1650 in gift cards to help defray the cost.

I also plan to buy the tables in wonderland card for discounts in dining.We have some great ADRs lined up. I was able to secure a reservation at California Grill for this upcoming trip. I got Be Our Guest dinner for our November trip and Ohana and Le Cellier dinner for August.

In budget related news, I’m going to up my 401k contribution at work to account for my raise. Other than that, just feeling very fortunate and chugging along.

So jealous, that's basically a list of my favorite restaurants at WDW!!

So, small sigh of relief, maybe. Hopefully.

I'm currently up to 4 roommates in my house. 1 of them (the fiance) has been unemployed since the third week in March. Another one (the ex [and yes, there is a LONG story associated with that] who owes me about $1000) has been unemployed since the first of April, but only sporadically contributed to the bills for the past several years. The third only moved in a couple of weeks ago (and owes me about $1500 for the deposit and rent), and has been looking for a job since arrival.

Yesterday afternoon, they all went to turn in applications and interview at a local crop-dusting business. According to what they said when they got home, they ALL got hired!! Starting work on Monday. It will pay about $14/hour, working 12-14 hour days, 6 days a week through the middle of September. After that, it will cut back on time, but they all should still be able to get 8-10 hours a day, 4-5 days a week during the winter season.

If I can make it through the next 10-16 days, my problems won't be over, but having regular income (and payment on the back rent they owe) from all three will definitely make it easier to continue dumping debt and means we'll be able to pay for the wedding we want.

Well, that sigh of relief was very premature.

The jobs fell through. No jobs for any of them. I'm trying to find a way to pay bills one week at a time. And I have no idea how, at this point.

I'm throwing myself a little bit of a pity party. Sorry to be a downer, I'm just at the end of my rope on adulting, and I'm feeling very stuck.:sad:

So, for today, I'm not changing out of my pajamas. I'm just going to sit on my couch and watch Moana, and maybe Frozen, and who knows what else after that. It won't do anything to solve my problems, but it will let me escape for a day from worry.:grouphug:

Well, that sigh of relief was very premature.

The jobs fell through. No jobs for any of them. I'm trying to find a way to pay bills one week at a time. And I have no idea how, at this point.

I'm throwing myself a little bit of a pity party. Sorry to be a downer, I'm just at the end of my rope on adulting, and I'm feeling very stuck.:sad:

So, for today, I'm not changing out of my pajamas. I'm just going to sit on my couch and watch Moana, and maybe Frozen, and who knows what else after that. It won't do anything to solve my problems, but it will let me escape for a day from worry.:grouphug:

So, I'm going to sound like an absolute jerk for a minute, but other than your fiance, it may be time to have them consider other living options. At this point, they are only costing you money. You may have to cut your losses on ever getting your money back from them, but I don't feel like them continuing to stay is a good move.

I hope it starts looking up for you. We're in the same boat right now, trying to figure out what gets paid and what can wait another 2 weeks. Maybe June will be kinder to us both.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter