Debt Dumpers - 2019

2019 was supposed to be the year that we got completely out of debt. We had some expensive personal catastrophe’s hit us over the last 4 years and we ended up with a lot of credit card debt and a good sized home equity line.

However, our 1st mortgage payoff is $2,500 and our SUV is $3,500. We plan to pay off the house this month and start throwing $1,500/ mo. Into the SUV payment until I think October. That will free up $1,500/mo. Extra to pay off credit cards and then $2,000/mo. extra to pay off the home equity line. We will get everything paid off by 2022 if the cars (and our desire for a new one) can hold out. We also have repairs that need made along the way.

What has been everyone’s experience? Is it really hard to keep yourself from the new found funds? I’m thinking we will keep sailing and let the snowball work for us.
Your plan sounds good! It's nice to see one thing with a zero balance, then tackle the next. My reworked snowball is fun to look at. In a couple of weeks, I'll have two columns at zero! October will mark a third. I can live with little goals.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I really appreciate them. The cruise isn't until next year so we would be able to swing our portion fairly easily. We are the people that are working on paying debt off but still put a certain amount away every month for vacation.

Has anyone that gets motion sick ever been on a cruise? Have you been able to manage it?

On the debt dumping front my husband had 30 some hours of overtime this check and is on track to have more next so I feel like we should be able to make good progress.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I really appreciate them. The cruise isn't until next year so we would be able to swing our portion fairly easily. We are the people that are working on paying debt off but still put a certain amount away every month for vacation.

Has anyone that gets motion sick ever been on a cruise? Have you been able to manage it?

On the debt dumping front my husband had 30 some hours of overtime this check and is on track to have more next so I feel like we should be able to make good progress.
Same, we still save for vacation as well, and paying debt which is only my car loan at the moment.

I've never had motion sickness on a cruise. Though, I have seen people have patches on and claim they didn't feel well, but for me, never did bother. On smaller boats - yes - in the past. I don't like tendered boats from cruise to port, they pack every one in I rather sit above deck or on the end of the benches. On the smaller boats I mentioned in the past, some were small diving boats when I used to scuba dive, and my worst was a deep sea fishing trip, never again! But my mistake there was watching the water and the lines, rather than look out on the horizon. I may take a Bonine, but they also make me drowsy. Drink water, eat light, don't stare straight down, look around, get some breeze if possible or if the sun's bothering then try to get under the canopy, no alcohol, no problem for me.

I've only been on one cruise so far, and I only felt slightly off the first day we were on it. I brought all natural Dramamine with us since it's non-drowsy and not chemical-filled like many others, and took that the first night. I quickly adapted to the feeling of the ship moving and it didn't bother me at all after that, and we spent a lot of time looking out over the water and looking down.

Are you prone to motion sickness? If so, if you have a go-to OTC product for it then bring it. If you aren't prone to it then I wouldn't worry too much, you really don't feel much movement since the ship is so big, though you may want to bring something just in case.

I'm the oddball with motion sickness. I can be in a boat on rolling seas. But in a 3D ride or airplane? Nope. Dramamine is my go-to. I took some before I went on Flights of Passage (the second time because the first time I was desperate to get off and not lose my breakfast) and it was so beautiful that I cried! I'm with @PhoenixStrength on the OTC stuff. :thumbsup2

I've only been on one cruise so far, and I only felt slightly off the first day we were on it. I brought all natural Dramamine with us since it's non-drowsy and not chemical-filled like many others, and took that the first night. I quickly adapted to the feeling of the ship moving and it didn't bother me at all after that, and we spent a lot of time looking out over the water and looking down.

Are you prone to motion sickness? If so, if you have a go-to OTC product for it then bring it. If you aren't prone to it then I wouldn't worry too much, you really don't feel much movement since the ship is so big, though you may want to bring something just in case.
Yep, I can look down on the big ships no problem. It's the tiny ones that have gotten me! I am VERY prone to motion sickness (small boats, rides, cars as passenger) but the cruises never bothered me, I've been on 11!

I have also purchased ginger and essential oils for motion sickness for long distance car rides when I'm a passenger, neither has personally helped me but some swear by ginger and essential oils. I think whether the cruise will bother you with motion will be very particular. I recommend taking some things with you just in case, though. Bonine or Draminine OTC, or something from your doc if necessary, and take a look into the patches, bracelets, ginger root, oils, etc. but I'd be sure to read up on those to make sure they are compatible with any health issues or allergies you may have. Drink lots of fluids and watch alcohol intake, we usually see so many people day one overflowing the pool and decks and getting drinks, those numbers slim down on day two, I think they are hanging out in the cabins with hangovers and motion sickness!

Progress as of 7/3/19:
Car Loans = $16,391 - $25,158 change from the beginning of the year
House Fund = $25,229 - $7,579 change from the beginning of the year
Emergency Fund = $5,082 - $2,803 change from the beginning of the year

So, last month things got a bit crazy so I never got in my update here, or the rest of the additional car payments I was planning. DH did get a large commission payout. So I'm doing the July budget in YNAB, everything over the regular stuff gets split out into it's categories on a percentage basis... and I realize we now have more sitting in the extra car payments line than we owe on the vehicle!! So for a quick and easy solution currently I took the excess and threw it in the house fund. The final payments have not been made on the vehicle yet, but the money is now there and waiting!

We had a great time on our trip, but one of my BILs ended up hospitalized back in California so after the cruise ended my ILs flew straight there. DH and I stayed with our normal flights home on Sunday and we were able to cancel most of our plans for no penalty but had to ad-lib the weekend. We just went to the parks since our APs are still valid, but that was additional dining and hotel I had not planned for. Luckily we had plenty in our travel fund to cover it plus an unexpected credit card benefit kicked in and covered the extra hotel night. BIL is doing better than last week but has been diagnosed with an auto immune disease, so we are taking care of the house and pups. We will probably try to kick in a bit to help ILs with their costs staying out in CA with BIL (though MIL is very stubborn!). Also trying to get back into our decent eating/exercise habit we had going before the trip, around our crazy work schedules.

May have more to report on in a few days but for now must sign off!

2019 starting balances:
Car Loans - $7616 + $33933 = $41,549
House Fund = $17,650
Emergency Fund = $2,279

Progress as of 1/30/19:

Car Loans - $5216 + $33485 = $37,746 - $3,803 change from the beginning of the year
House Fund = $17,650 - $0 change from the beginning of the year
Emergency Fund = $2,323 - $44 change from the beginning of the year
Weight goal - 0%, 20 weeks to go

Progress as of 3/4/19:
Car Loans - $0 + $33024 = $33,024 - $8,525 change from the beginning of the year
House Fund = $18,290 - $640 change from the beginning of the year
Emergency Fund = $2,704 - $425 change from the beginning of the year
Weight goal - ?%, 16 weeks to go (need to weigh myself...)

Progress as of 4/7/19:
Car Loans - $0 + $29152 = $29,152 - $12,397 change from the beginning of the year
House Fund = $18,694 - $1,044 change from the beginning of the year
Emergency Fund = $2,906 - $627 change from the beginning of the year

Progress as of 5/2/19:
Car Loans = $25,810 - $15,739 change from the beginning of the year
House Fund = $19,339 - $1,689 change from the beginning of the year
Emergency Fund = $3,295 - $1016 change from the beginning of the year

So, still working on paying down the last CC we have a balance on, hope to have it just under $20,000 by the end of the year (looks like we'll easily manage that). Cars are paid, savings goal for the year was $12,000 and that is already done. Using the extra money freed up from that to pay down a huge Dr. bill faster - hoping to have that paid August 2020 (no hurry since we're not paying interest). Have 2 529 plans for our 2 boys that we now don't have to put money in any more since they are adults, and that should cover a 4 year degree for each (with a cushion in case it takes them longer, we may need to kick in a little more over time, but looks good). Looking to get retirement up to 20% from 18%, will do that soon. Also, putting $1000 a month for DW trip, on schedule with that. End goal - pay off last CC, raise retirement, bump up savings (hope to pay cash for future car if/when we need one) and keep saving, put more to mortgage. Geez, seeing it print makes it more real somehow.......

Checking in! My DD and I have a wonderful trip to DW. I really liked OKW (was only there a night but it was so relaxing). We then moved over to the Grand Floridian. It was so nice to have the monorail right there and we had a lovely room. We did Toy Story EMM (totally worth it!) and the Villains After Hours party- my DD is a huge Hercules fan and really wanted to go for the experiences and food. We didn't ride any rides! The AP magnets are really nice and I'm glad we were able to go. Overall DD said the trip was everything she wanted to it to be so I feel good about it! I was also happy that we didn't overspend while we were there. Sometimes I go a little nuts at WDW!! (I did that in Chicago and that bill is still sitting there!!).
I need to go pack- it's time for DD's Preview at UF. Two full days of intense "college readiness" sessions and tours. I am looking forward to DD getting her schedule so we can make plans for the fall. It's time for me to start writing some pretty big checks!
I hope everyone has an awesome week!

I haven't checked in in forever. I am, however, staying on track. Since Christmas, I haven't added a penny to debt and I'm within $900 of paying off my next CC before moving on to card three. We took our trip to Eastern Europe, had a wonderful time and paid off every cent as soon as we got home. I have OT scheduled basically forever, so I'll continue pay off and put money in savings, (I'm up to $8000! not including the 16% I invest every check!)

My daughter messaged me yesterday and asked me to join her in St John in less than 3 weeks. She knew I couldn't go long because of work, but offered to use airline points to buy my ticket for my (August) birthday. I jumped at the chance! We're staying at my two bedroom on St. John at the Westin. It's basically a free trip and I'm so excited about it. I'm giving up my OT for that week to get the opportunity to fly down Mon-Thurs and tickets are bought.

Keep on keeping on, debt dumping friends! And for the lurkers, don't lose heart if you're not doing as well as you want to do. All of us here started somewhere.

Started Swagbucks a few months ago, because I can run the videos and do surveys on my breaks at work, and just redeemed my points for my fifth gift card = $125!!! That's going toward my November trip to DL!

Keep on keeping on, debt dumping friends! And for the lurkers, don't lose heart if you're not doing as well as you want to do. All of us here started somewhere.

Started Swagbucks a few months ago, because I can run the videos and do surveys on my breaks at work, and just redeemed my points for my fifth gift card = $125!!! That's going toward my November trip to DL!

Amazing job on the Swagbucks! I used to do it when it could just play on my kindle but I can't get it to do that anymore. I do PerkTV but it takes about 10000 years to get $10 I think! I want to go to Disneyland during the holiday time at some point just so I can get a homemade candy cane!

Good morning everyone! (I re-read my post last week- meant AP ornaments not magnets- too lazy to go back and edit).
Preview went very well. I was a little nervous that DD would get there and be like "nope- don't like this" but instead she was energized. She can't wait to get on campus and start her collegiate life. DH seemed surprised that the housing bill was higher than expected but we told him about the extra $1000 per semester if she moved to a suite. He said it was OK when she called and asked... maybe he wasn't listening to her? She is paid up for the dining plan ($2100) and housing ($3600 and change). They did have a deal at Preview if you signed up for both the fall and spring dining plans the kids would get an extra $200 of FlexBucks. I told them I couldn't afford to pay for spring and they were like "Cool- we will bill you in January". So I did that! I'm surprised they haven't billed for tuition yet- we have the funds but not the invoice.
I overspent at the bookstore on swag. A lot of winter/heavier items were on clearance which is perfect for me. It gets cold in Philly and I like saving money. I figure some of it will turn into Christmas presents for the grandparents. Plus since I live up in PA it isn't easy to find UF stuff when I am home.
***Forgot to add- DD was able to get a decent schedule that she's happy with. She's taking 15 credits but only two classes meet in person for every session. Her chemistry is 4 credits and Chinese is 5 credits (they are the pure traditional classes). Her "Good Life" class- which fulfills mandatory requirements is a hybrid- so she only goes once a week and her Intro to Theater (another requirement) is 100% online. It will be very interesting to see what kind of classes she likes. I keep telling her to enjoy her time because when she is older her days won't end at 1:40!!***
I will say- I have got to stop spending money- the fall is going to be very austere. I way overspent at Hallmark yesterday- any one else collect Keepsake ornaments? I love them so much! I've been collecting for 24 years and I'm not letting college costs stop me!
As I say all of that... we are off to Universal for a short three day trip. I have $200 cash and that's the spending money for food and "stuff". I sincerely hope that going all cash will help DD see how much these trips cost and how to weigh needs vs. wants. I am hoping to ride Hagrid's but I am not waiting hours and hours. We bought AP's in the spring so if it is crazy I may plan an early spring 2020 trip for the sole purpose of riding it. We enjoy Uni in small doses.
I hope everyone has a great week!

Last edited:
@thiabelle count me in as one who over spent at hallmark yesterday. ✋ I spent just under $200. My wish list order only totaled about $140, but when i went yesterday afternoon that had the 2 limited quantity ornaments i wanted still, so i bought them. But 2 of the ornaments i bought are gifts for my mom in law, so her birthday and Christmas gifts are done.

Good morning everyone! (I re-read my post last week- meant AP ornaments not magnets- too lazy to go back and edit).
Preview went very well. I was a little nervous that DD would get there and be like "nope- don't like this" but instead she was energized. She can't wait to get on campus and start her collegiate life. DH seemed surprised that the housing bill was higher than expected but we told him about the extra $1000 per semester if she moved to a suite. He said it was OK when she called and asked... maybe he wasn't listening to her? She is paid up for the dining plan ($2100) and housing ($3600 and change). They did have a deal at Preview if you signed up for both the fall and spring dining plans the kids would get an extra $200 of FlexBucks. I told them I couldn't afford to pay for spring and they were like "Cool- we will bill you in January". So I did that! I'm surprised they haven't billed for tuition yet- we have the funds but not the invoice.
I overspent at the bookstore on swag. A lot of winter/heavier items were on clearance which is perfect for me. It gets cold in Philly and I like saving money. I figure some of it will turn into Christmas presents for the grandparents. Plus since I live up in PA it isn't easy to find UF stuff when I am home.
***Forgot to add- DD was able to get a decent schedule that she's happy with. She's taking 15 credits but only two classes meet in person for every session. Her chemistry is 4 credits and Chinese is 5 credits (they are the pure traditional classes). Her "Good Life" class- which fulfills mandatory requirements is a hybrid- so she only goes once a week and her Intro to Theater (another requirement) is 100% online. It will be very interesting to see what kind of classes she likes. I keep telling her to enjoy her time because when she is older her days won't end at 1:40!!***
I will say- I have got to stop spending money- the fall is going to be very austere. I way overspent at Hallmark yesterday- any one else collect Keepsake ornaments? I love them so much! I've been collecting for 24 years and I'm not letting college costs stop me!
As I say all of that... we are off to Universal for a short three day trip. I have $200 cash and that's the spending money for food and "stuff". I sincerely hope that going all cash will help DD see how much these trips cost and how to weigh needs vs. wants. I am hoping to ride Hagrid's but I am not waiting hours and hours. We bought AP's in the spring so if it is crazy I may plan an early spring 2020 trip for the sole purpose of riding it. We enjoy Uni in small doses.
I hope everyone has a great week!
I read your post interested in what expenses besides tuition are to consider. Is the dining plan and housing costs you list for the semester or the year? That's exciting, UF! Maybe some trips to WDW and Universal for short visits! We have yet to go to Universal Orlando, my youngest at home aren't interested but my eldest very much is. She wants to go when she moves south so maybe a trip in the next few years if she moves as planned or not, hope she does so to be within reasonable air travel or drive, but can't force it. I wouldn't know where to begin how to plan Universal but the HP world and Hagrid's are what I want to see.

Hallmark is having the ornament premiere there are some fun ones on the site, happened to notice as I had to go on Hallmark for something else I have to plan and noticed. I like the Mickey 2019 and the Mickey/Minnie in the teacup. Is it really even time to think about Christmas!? I'll think about it later after back to school, I'm enjoying this summer heat right now and no school!

I sincerely hope that going all cash will help DD see how much these trips cost and how to weigh needs vs. wants.

a valuable lesson to learn and unfortunatly not one that tends to get taught at college.

Preview went very well. I was a little nervous that DD would get there and be like "nope- don't like this" but instead she was energized. She can't wait to get on campus and start her collegiate life. DH seemed surprised that the housing bill was higher than expected but we told him about the extra $1000 per semester if she moved to a suite. He said it was OK when she called and asked... maybe he wasn't listening to her? She is paid up for the dining plan ($2100) and housing ($3600 and change).

another lesson is for her to look at the cost of the dining plan as compared to what the average single person spends on groceries/spends per meal. your dd's plan is comparable to what our local university charges, and granted it's ready to eat food so you pay for the convenience but what many of the students fail to realize is that they (or their parents) are basically paying out over $700 per month for their 'food' (not counting all the money they end up spending off campus eating out). that's SO much more than the average person budgets for a month of groceries so the dorming students can have a totally unrealistic idea of 'normal' household budgeting. you might also keep an eye on how much she has left on the books at the end of each semester. some universities let the excess roll over semester to semester in a single academic year but it's use it or lose it come the end of spring quarter (at our local university that dd attended the on campus student grocery store got depleted near the end of spring quarter by students attempting to use up their dining credits to buy non perishable stuff they could schlep home but it isn't unusual for students to forfeit hundreds of dollars each worth of food credits each school year). if she keeps track you may find she needs a much lower cost plan (if they offer one).

I read your post interested in what expenses besides tuition are to consider.

if it's like our local universities the mandatory fees add up pretty quickly. the basic fees run $500 a term (mandatory no matter what classes you take) then depending on what classes you are taking you could end up with additional fees (dd had lab fees, additional technology fees and a myriad of others for individual classes that were on top of the tuition).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter