Debt Dumpers - 2019

Streaming video topics.
I wonder how many regular disboard posters signed up for Disney+ ! The projected millions of subscribers out there is astounding. Just a few years ago it seemed Netflix had such a corner, but just wait a little bit and something else comes along as usual. They do, yes, have a significant market share, but I'm so curious how it'll look in a year.

I've had Netflix since back when they sent a disc to your house, and once it was returned you got sent the next requested one on the list. Before that, I was doing that with Walmart, did anyone used to do these send and return discs? Now, here it is a large production company. I wonder what shows will keep me following on Disney+, Netflix I'll admit has me a little meh sometimes. Or agenda riddled, shock factor, I personally can't stand that. I watched Stranger Things, When Calls the Heart, binge watched the Office, the Crown, but really such a large percentage of the shows on there are just weird to me. They don't rotate their movies enough, and have become weird-show heavy to me.

I have subscribed to Netflix since I was in high school when you got the discs, so I have been a really long term subscriber. We don't have cable TV, just Netflix, ad-free Hulu, Amazon and now Disney+. I had Amazon Prime long before it offered streaming service, so getting the streaming seems like a free bonus to me since I would probably have otherwise continued to pay for Amazon Prime otherwise. I also subscribed to a free trial with CBS All Access and after the 3 free months should have long expired, we still have access to that. I wouldn't actually pay for it, so if we just keep getting it for free that seems to make DH happy. He was been watching Twilight Zone lately.

Overall, our monthly TV entertainment costs are $11.99 for Hulu, $12.99 for Netflix, and now $3.88 for Disney+ (as I said above, I don't count the cost of Amazon). So just under $29 per month. Still way less than I would pay for a cable package. And in the summer, we usually put Hulu on hold when there aren't many new shows coming out, which saves us a bit of money too. Though as the price of Netflix climbs, I wonder more and more if we will start subscribing for a few months, then cancel for a few months and then resubscribe again. DH definitely watches more TV than I do.

I have subscribed to Netflix since I was in high school when you got the discs, so I have been a really long term subscriber. We don't have cable TV, just Netflix, ad-free Hulu, Amazon and now Disney+. I had Amazon Prime long before it offered streaming service, so getting the streaming seems like a free bonus to me since I would probably have otherwise continued to pay for Amazon Prime otherwise. I also subscribed to a free trial with CBS All Access and after the 3 free months should have long expired, we still have access to that. I wouldn't actually pay for it, so if we just keep getting it for free that seems to make DH happy. He was been watching Twilight Zone lately.

Overall, our monthly TV entertainment costs are $11.99 for Hulu, $12.99 for Netflix, and now $3.88 for Disney+ (as I said above, I don't count the cost of Amazon). So just under $29 per month. Still way less than I would pay for a cable package. And in the summer, we usually put Hulu on hold when there aren't many new shows coming out, which saves us a bit of money too. Though as the price of Netflix climbs, I wonder more and more if we will start subscribing for a few months, then cancel for a few months and then resubscribe again. DH definitely watches more TV than I do.
My questions is how much does your internet service cost? Every time I run the numbers to cut the cord, I end up saving very little paying for unbundled Internet. However, I do currently only have Comcast as a possible cable/high speed internet provider (who btw sucks even as far as cable companies go), so my options are limited. And my husband requires Showtime, HBO and network news, so we most likely wouldn’t be able to trim our list as lean as yours.

My questions is how much does your internet service cost? Every time I run the numbers to cut the cord, I end up saving very little paying for unbundled Internet. However, I do currently only have Comcast as a possible cable/high speed internet provider (who btw sucks even as far as cable companies go), so my options are limited. And my husband requires Showtime, HBO and network news, so we most likely wouldn’t be able to trim our list as lean as yours.
This is why I still have Directv. I pay $90/month of my mid tier bundle that includes the regionals sports networks and 75mbps AT&T Internet. I would be paying at least $70 if not more for just internet with that download rate.

DH and I are still undecided if we want to sign up for the Disney+ 3-year promo. I honestly just don't know if we'd get enough use out of it over the 3 years to justify the cost (even though the cost is fairly minimal). I'm sure i'll sign up for it for a time, but I doubt we'd keep it consistently. I sign up for Hulu for when Handmaid's Tale is new and usually cancel after that, but right now i'm still paying for it since we've been watching CSI on it.

This is why I still have Directv. I pay $90/month of my mid tier bundle that includes the regionals sports networks and 75mbps AT&T Internet. I would be paying at least $70 if not more for just internet with that download rate.

We pay $70 per month for 150 mbps internet from Comcast. There is no other provider in our area right now except AT&T and I tried AT&T for a month once but had to switch back to Comcast because the speed was terrible. If I got a cable package with Comcast, we would be paying well into the $150 range, so I figure that we are saving about $50 per month or $600 per year doing it this way. We also have an antenna on our roof that cost about $50 and have been up for 7 years now. It allows us to get local sports, etc.

We have Netflix, Amazon Prime, and DirectTVNow. And, add on Disney+ now in November. We just got on to Amazon Prime this year, for the other benefit of free shipping with purchases. DirectTVNow is my DH's thing, I told him he can cancel it I don't hardly ever watch it and don't care if we had it or not, but he's a sports guy and doesn't want to take a chance on anything else out there and miss a baseball, basketball, or football game. One thing I hate with it though is that AppleTV remote that came with it, ugh, that thing is a pain it's so tiny and thin!

Aside from that, we just have the internet with Verizon Fios, who raised our bill $15 a month this month. I want to drop them but upon searching the area, they seem to have the highest speeds, so guess we'll stick it out a bit and look around again later on down the road.

DH and I are still undecided if we want to sign up for the Disney+ 3-year promo. I honestly just don't know if we'd get enough use out of it over the 3 years to justify the cost (even though the cost is fairly minimal). I'm sure i'll sign up for it for a time, but I doubt we'd keep it consistently. I sign up for Hulu for when Handmaid's Tale is new and usually cancel after that, but right now i'm still paying for it since we've been watching CSI on it.

I get what you are saying, but I am taking advantage simply because I feel like the introductory annual price of Disney+ is WAY too cheap to be sustainable. I can easily see it doubling in the second year, so I am doing this 3 year thing just to lock in that low price at a discount. It comes out to $3.80/month. There is NO WAY it will still be that cheap 2 or 3 years from now.

I get what you are saying, but I am taking advantage simply because I feel like the introductory annual price of Disney+ is WAY too cheap to be sustainable. I can easily see it doubling in the second year, so I am doing this 3 year thing just to lock in that low price at a discount. It comes out to $3.80/month. There is NO WAY it will still be that cheap 2 or 3 years from now.

That is some food for thought and something I didn't think about. I would bet you are right. At least we still have a few days to decide to take the plunge on the offer.

We pay $70 per month for 150 mbps internet from Comcast. There is no other provider in our area right now except AT&T and I tried AT&T for a month once but had to switch back to Comcast because the speed was terrible. If I got a cable package with Comcast, we would be paying well into the $150 range, so I figure that we are saving about $50 per month or $600 per year doing it this way. We also have an antenna on our roof that cost about $50 and have been up for 7 years now. It allows us to get local sports, etc.
Thanks for details. I think the roof antenna does really improve the savings ratio. We are not allowed antenna/dish options, either. I pay about $65 more a month for cable over just internet. That does include HBO, Showtime and Netflix, and I don’t think they included all the taxes and fees in the internet only quote. We fully expect to be moving within the next 9 months, so I do have a cancel anytime package which is more expensive again. I keep hoping when I run the numbers when we move the difference will be more appreciable, or I can at least kick out Comcast. They are the only cable company I have had who doesn’t guarantee canceling a contract if you move out of service area.

Let me say that I'm downright jealous of how little you all pay for internet. We have exactly two companies to choose from and both are $100. One is horrible and the other is less than horrible. :/ We've had Amazon Prime for years, Netflix since the get-go, and use the oldest kid's Hulu account. We bought digital rabbit ears several years ago and love them for the local news and sports.

Refiguring our post debt budget right now. DH has rumblings at work that it may close...and we just got the youngest in for her braces...

We currently have Hulu, Netflix and Amazon Prime. We live in a condo and free basic cable is included in that but we usually only have that on as background noise. We will add the Disney streaming but I had seen/heard where they would have a bundle deal for that/hulu/ESPN so am waiting to see what that looks like

We currently have Hulu, Netflix and Amazon Prime. We live in a condo and free basic cable is included in that but we usually only have that on as background noise. We will add the Disney streaming but I had seen/heard where they would have a bundle deal for that/hulu/ESPN so am waiting to see what that looks like

Details have been announced on the bundle and I read that it will only include the ad-support Hulu, not ad-free Hulu. We absolutely will not pay money to watch ads, so I just decided it was best to get the D23 offer and not worry about the Disney/Hulu/ESPN bundle.

Details have been announced on the bundle and I read that it will only include the ad-support Hulu, not ad-free Hulu. We absolutely will not pay money to watch ads, so I just decided it was best to get the D23 offer and not worry about the Disney/Hulu/ESPN bundle.
There were rumblings on the show floor at the expo that Disney+/Hulu/espn+ are working out some sort of add on option for those that signed up for the 3 year deal.

There were rumblings on the show floor at the expo that Disney+/Hulu/espn+ are working out some sort of add on option for those that signed up for the 3 year deal.
DH would be ecstatic if that is true! We took the plunge for the 3 year contract. 33% was too good to pass up.

Let me say that I'm downright jealous of how little you all pay for internet. We have exactly two companies to choose from and both are $100. One is horrible and the other is less than horrible. :/ We've had Amazon Prime for years, Netflix since the get-go, and use the oldest kid's Hulu account. We bought digital rabbit ears several years ago and love them for the local news and sports.

Refiguring our post debt budget right now. DH has rumblings at work that it may close...and we just got the youngest in for her braces...
My reply may have been misleading. I pay $65 more for cable, phone and internet package than I would pay for just internet. I am embarrassed to say we pay $217 a month; internet only for our speed was $135/140 plus tax and fees. We don’t use the landline, but it was more expensive to just get cable and internet.

My reply may have been misleading. I pay $65 more for cable, phone and internet package than I would pay for just internet. I am embarrassed to say we pay $217 a month; internet only for our speed was $135/140 plus tax and fees. We don’t use the landline, but it was more expensive to just get cable and internet.
If it makes you feel any better, the horrible company was nearly $185 with the internet and landline. 90% of the time we had a 2 Mbps download instead of the 10 we paid for. And they would "adjust" our bill, depending on the person at the call center. We switched from AT&T to Verizon for our cell phones and dropped the landline (no service with AT&T except for one spot in the backyard that we marked with a big rock).

We pay $230/month for just internet and cable with no premium channels. It is what it is at this point. We have lived here too long to still be taking advantage of special pricing. I'm too lazy to change providers and we actually get good service. I haven't had an outage in 4 years or a reason to call the cable company except to swap out an older model DVR for a newer one a year ago, which didn't cost me anything.

We pay $213/month for Cable/Internet/Phone - we really have no need for a home phone either, but it didn't save anything to cancel it.

We pay $230/month for just internet and cable with no premium channels. It is what it is at this point. We have lived here too long to still be taking advantage of special pricing. I'm too lazy to change providers and we actually get good service. I haven't had an outage in 4 years or a reason to call the cable company except to swap out an older model DVR for a newer one a year ago, which didn't cost me anything.

That's why I stick with ours at a fairly high cost. The service is great. It never goes out, we get a ton of channels, we have the DVRs that we use the heck out of, and the internet speed is great.

That's why I stick with ours at a fairly high cost. The service is great. It never goes out, we get a ton of channels, we have the DVRs that we use the heck out of, and the internet speed is great.
That is where we are now. Most recent speed upgrade actually works. Brand new router and cable box.

@imbatman I love the image of your yard with a rock marking where you get AT&T coverage. We currently split the difference. I have AT&T, a crazy old grandfathered rollover plan that the sales people always tell us to never get rid of. My husband and son have Verizon. We still on occasion have dead spots for both.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!