Debt Dumpers - 2019

Jen and Ashwin

DIS Veteran
Alright, I have gone ahead and started this thread for 2019! Feel free to post your year end recaps on the 2018 thread and then come over here to post goals for 2019. Anyone new, please feel free to join in as this is a great and supportive group that has really helped me over the past few years. So let 2019 and the encouragement for another year of dumping debt begin!

@Jen and Ashwin, you beat me to it. I saw someone asking and thought I'd start this one when I finished catching up on the posts.

Right about now, my only goals for 2019 are to manage to not lose my car and house. Since last summer, my health issues have drained every gain I thought I had made, and set me back even further than I was when I started. I just want to curl up in a ball, cry, and die.

2019 Financial goals:
  • Save $6,000 towards our emergency fund
  • Max out my Roth IRA (and maybe open a Roth IRA for DH)
  • Pay $1000 (or more) each month towards the HELOC
  • Save $2400 in DDs 529 account
  • Pay as much as possible towards our trailer loan, currently at $13,600

2019 Personal goals:
  • Make more time for my hobbies
  • Keep a regular exercise routine
  • Declutter the house

@Jen and Ashwin, you beat me to it. I saw someone asking and thought I'd start this one when I finished catching up on the posts.

Right about now, my only goals for 2019 are to manage to not lose my car and house. Since last summer, my health issues have drained every gain I thought I had made, and set me back even further than I was when I started. I just want to curl up in a ball, cry, and die.

Dave, I am so sorry. We are all here to listen and provide encouragement. Even when things seem bleak, it helps me to think of the reasons that keep me going each day and remember what I am working towards. I am wishing you better health and financial fortune in 2019.

Dave, big hugs!!!

Alright, I have gone ahead and started this thread for 2019! Feel free to post your year end recaps on the 2018 thread and then come over here to post goals for 2019. Anyone new, please feel free to join in as this is a great and supportive group that has really helped me over the past few years. So let 2019 and the encouragement for another year of dumping debt begin!
Thank you for starting this thread!!!

Man, I can't believe we're really heading into another year! We have a very VERY big year ahead financially. I'm positive we will be able to not only meet, but exceed our goals this year. We have made tremendous strides in 2018 and I'm so proud of myself and DF for really cutting a lot of bad habits out.

On to my goals for 2019!
Financially:
Pay off loans: $2500 total between all 4.
Pay off furnuture: $2000
Pay off remaining insurance balance: $1800
Completely fund the wedding: We have a $15k budget for this and so far with prices for everything we are under that budget. We just have to make the payments!

Vacations:
Trip to Indiana to get best man, bridesmaids, his son fitted for suits and make sure they all match colors correctly. Budget for this is approximately $1500, but some of that is accounted for in the wedding budget.
Trip to PA to see my family since my grandma isn't doing really well lately.
Honeymoon! Currently looking at a 4-5 day cruise. Most recent price quotes have it at $1000 for the cruise and another $600 for flights. Going to budget this at $2500 for souvenirs, upgraded dinner, additional costs.

Personal:
Lose the other 30lbs.
Run a half marathon.
Commit to an overall healthier lifestyle.
Purge all the useless crap from our house!

Big hugs and positive thoughts to you Dave!

Here we go again! I am just working on the 2019 budget, updating the sections which have the one-offs- many aspects stay the same, but I found it very valuable this year to have placeholders for things like proposed trips, snow tires, animal expenses etc.

Financial Goals for 2019:
-Car Fund: Get serious about this...if we are going to buy the Hyundai Kona electric in 2 years or so, I want to have a good chunk saved- I'm going to save the money our friend is paying us back, and figure out an amount to save also, but I'd like to have say 1/3 to put down, so next year when the first models come out, will get an idea of around how much that will be, but I'd say have 5K by the end of next year.

-get DD's RESP (Canada's equivalent to education savings plan) started- she's 2 now and we haven't got this going for no reason other than just not getting to it. Initial deposit of 1.5K is ready and get a direct deposit going.

-Replace the dining room furniture- we are using the table, chairs and hutch that I grew up with, I really want to get some nicer stuff.

-one big trip (short listed are WDW, Kentucky, or a cruise of some sort) and 1-2 small trips (short listed are Vegas, Disneyland, Palm Springs)
---use aeroplan for the big one

Personal:

-Get the last 15 pounds off- I'm so much happier now that I've lost the weight that I have, and feeling more like myself, but still got more to go.
-Participate in 2-3 riding clinics- although the craziness of working full time and a 2 year old doesn't allow me to have a horse in full training, I did get out for lots of riding this year and did one clinic in the fall which I loved, there are 3 scheduled for next year and I want to do them.

I didn't start out on the previous thread listing any goals, so I figured i'd start some for this new year. (Not in any particular order.)

Financial Goals:
  • Pay off the last $5235 in credit card debt that we have (all currently at 0% interest)
  • Pay off DH's student loans $3340
  • Save $2000 in our emergency fund
  • Increase mine and DHs retirement contributions (not sure by how much, but any little bit helps)
Personal Goals:
  • Exercise more and lose some weight (no particular amount in mind, just want to slim down)
  • Travel out of the country this year for my 30th birthday and our 5th wedding anniversary (Ireland, London, Paris, Rome, Italy....any of those places are on my list)
  • See my best friend at least twice, if not more (she lives in TX and we live in CA)
That's all I can think of at the moment, but I think it's a good start!

Woohoo, 2019!

Financial Goals:
1. Get rid of my student loan! I'm seriously tired of paying this stupid thing. I'm down to $3250 from $8000. I should be right at or below $3000 by the time I get my tax refund in the spring. I'd like to put my whole tax refund to it, which should be around $1500. I may then just take some of our savings and pay it off after that, then work on building our savings back up.
2. Save cash for our 2020 Japan trip. I plan on having our airfare and most hotels paid for with points and miles, but we are planning on going to the Olympics and we'll need cash for tickets and everything else while we're there.
3. Increase DH's 401k contribution with his next raise.
4. Increase my 457 plan contributions with my next raise.
5. Begin saving for a new (to me) car. DH told me recently that if he gets the promotion he wants next year, his work will provide him with a car of his choosing. We would then sell his car and likely sell mine as well and get me a newer car. Both of our cars have over 100k miles on them, and I certainly wouldn't mind driving my car until it dies, but I would love to get something like a hybrid with really great fuel economy. I don't want to have a car payment, so I'd like to set some cash aside to cover the difference between selling our two cars and getting me something new.

Last edited:
2019 Goals:

Pay off remaining CC debt and incur NO MORE. $3500 to go.

Increase my Roth IRA contributions from $100 to $500 per month. I will start this in April.

Save $35,000 by end of year. I will be opening an Ally Savings account in January to earn my 2% interest.

Pay in full for our Disneyland AP renewal at the end of August. I plan to use my income from my part time spring scoring job to accomplish this goal. Who knows what the prices wil be but I am estimating $4500 for 4 Signature passes.

Lose 20-30 pounds. 10-15 is probably more realistic, but I'm aiming high here. Why not?

Hello all! I'm (mostly) new to this. I've been reading along in the 2018 thread for about a month now but never posted. My husband and I started working on our large amount of debt this year and did decently, and I wanted to start up with this thread for 2019 to keep us accountable and for the support and encouragement/advice you all seem to give!

2019 Financial goals:

-Pay down CC debt: We currently have a little over $11000 still left (paid off over $8k in 2018). Hoping to get at least half that amount paid off in 2019.

-Save enough to pay for 2020 WDW trip. We plan on it being 2 weeks long and are hoping to rent points to stay at AKL so we will need a good amount for it. Plan on getting a good chunk of it from Swagbucks but will need more than I'll get from that.

-Get at least $2000 in emergency fund. Right now its only at $250 so need to add at least $1750 to it.

2019 Personal Goals

- Eat healthier and exercise more. Don't have a specific goal for weight loss, just want to be healthier.

- Stress less. This may be the hardest goal for me to accomplish. I tend to worry and stress 24/7 but I've been working on it and I'm getting better with not letting things get to me as much and worrying quite so much but I still have a ways to go.

- Do more new things. My DH and I have a goal to do one new experience each month next year. Nothing crazy, just a new restaurant or day trip to somewhere we've never been, things like that. We want to experience all we can in life and are finally getting to a financial position to do so with getting our debt down and better paying jobs.

That's all I can think of for now. Good luck to everyone with their goals!

Hello all! I'm (mostly) new to this. I've been reading along in the 2018 thread for about a month now but never posted.

Welcome!!! :cool1: Great job paying down so much already! We're planning a 2 week trip in 2020 also, but it's not until fall, so I'm not even going to start trying to save for that until January of 2020.

Still mostly a lurker, but looking forward to sharing the year with all of you again.

2019 Goals

Car Loan: Just bought a new car in October, so, plan to pay 12,000 towards loan this year with plans for full payoff by end of 2020.

Savings: Increase emergency savings by $5,000

Mortgage Overpay: $4,400

DS13 College Fund: $2,000

401K Savings – Increase to 15% savings.

Maintain $0 balance on Credit Cards (I use them for the rewards but pay off every pay period)

Fitness goal: Lose an additional 10-15 pounds and increase strength training. Run a half marathon (already registered for May) and POSSIBLY run a marathon. I’m considering a local one in the October time frame but would absolutely love to do the Disney World one in January 2020 but I don’t know if that really works with the travel budget (or the training schedule – training in winter is Not Fun).

Personal goals: More family time. As my son gets older we spend less and less time together. DH and I have discussed ideas for next year like having tech-free nights, game nights, gym nights, etc. to try and connect more.

Travel plans: Currently, I am hoping for a long weekend in Orlando in the August time frame when my nephew graduates from college, and a 15-year anniversary long weekend somewhere, but we haven’t decided where yet. So, definitely will have some travel in the year, we just haven’t made any definitive plans yet.

My 2019 budget and spreadsheet is all ready to go for January so let's do this.

Does anyone know if Target’s return policy covers a broken toy within 30 days? Just wondering if anyone has tried. Well I’ll find out anyway since I’m going to try later today and maybe others may have something similar happen at Christmas present opening. My son opened a toy gun and it broke within one try! Cheaply made yes probably or consumer error, I don’t know, but he pulled it back and the chamber broke.

Does anyone know if Target’s return policy covers a broken toy within 30 days? Just wondering if anyone has tried. Well I’ll find out anyway since I’m going to try later today and maybe others may have something similar happen at Christmas present opening. My son opened a toy gun and it broke within one try! Cheaply made yes probably or consumer error, I don’t know, but he pulled it back and the chamber broke.

I would definitely take it back for a refund.

Still mostly a lurker, but looking forward to sharing the year with all of you again.

2019 Goals

Car Loan: Just bought a new car in October, so, plan to pay 12,000 towards loan this year with plans for full payoff by end of 2020.

Savings: Increase emergency savings by $5,000

Mortgage Overpay: $4,400

DS13 College Fund: $2,000

401K Savings – Increase to 15% savings.

Maintain $0 balance on Credit Cards (I use them for the rewards but pay off every pay period)

Fitness goal: Lose an additional 10-15 pounds and increase strength training. Run a half marathon (already registered for May) and POSSIBLY run a marathon. I’m considering a local one in the October time frame but would absolutely love to do the Disney World one in January 2020 but I don’t know if that really works with the travel budget (or the training schedule – training in winter is Not Fun).

Personal goals: More family time. As my son gets older we spend less and less time together. DH and I have discussed ideas for next year like having tech-free nights, game nights, gym nights, etc. to try and connect more.

Travel plans: Currently, I am hoping for a long weekend in Orlando in the August time frame when my nephew graduates from college, and a 15-year anniversary long weekend somewhere, but we haven’t decided where yet. So, definitely will have some travel in the year, we just haven’t made any definitive plans yet.

My 2019 budget and spreadsheet is all ready to go for January so let's do this.

You have some great goals! I haven't thought too much for next year but my focus is going to be on stashing up a big emergency fund. I will have my cards paid off in January, only debt will be the car loan but I'm just going to make regular payments, I have a short term need to build up emergency funding to cover moving in two or three years, by then the car will be paid just about anyway since I'm on a 4 year loan, plan to plow at the car loan the final year.

Here are my 2019 goals:
10 Percent of salary into my retirement account: DONE- processed paperwork last week.
Pay for kitchen remodel with cash: Quotes came in at $4100 plus $2300...
Pay down Solar loan...
Refinance student loans: DONE interest rate was approaching 7 percent variable, now fixed at 4.3 percent. Will be done in less than 5 years
$35,000 in Ally Savings Account: DONE just transferred the last $500 in today!

Hey! I'm planning a few half marathons this year too! And I have this insane idea that I want to try for Dopey in 2020 as a solo trip. You should definitely do it!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!