Debt Dumpers - 2019

My credit score went up by over 15 points! I'm now in a really good position to get a better rate for a car loan. Which is good news since my car's ac went out and it also smells like gasoline fumes when I try to just put the fan on for some airflow. Pretty much over trying to fix it anymore at this point. It is time to get a new (to me) vehicle at last!!

Here we go again! I am just working on the 2019 budget, updating the sections which have the one-offs- many aspects stay the same, but I found it very valuable this year to have placeholders for things like proposed trips, snow tires, animal expenses etc.

Financial Goals for 2019:
-Car Fund: Get serious about this...if we are going to buy the Hyundai Kona electric in 2 years or so, I want to have a good chunk saved- I'm going to save the money our friend is paying us back, and figure out an amount to save also, but I'd like to have say 1/3 to put down, so next year when the first models come out, will get an idea of around how much that will be, but I'd say have 5K by the end of next year.

-get DD's RESP (Canada's equivalent to education savings plan) started- she's 2 now and we haven't got this going for no reason other than just not getting to it. Initial deposit of 1.5K is ready and get a direct deposit going.

-Replace the dining room furniture- we are using the table, chairs and hutch that I grew up with, I really want to get some nicer stuff.

-one big trip (short listed are WDW, Kentucky, or a cruise of some sort) and 1-2 small trips (short listed are Vegas, Disneyland, Palm Springs)
---use aeroplan for the big one

Personal:

-Get the last 15 pounds off- I'm so much happier now that I've lost the weight that I have, and feeling more like myself, but still got more to go.
-Participate in 2-3 riding clinics- although the craziness of working full time and a 2 year old doesn't allow me to have a horse in full training, I did get out for lots of riding this year and did one clinic in the fall which I loved, there are 3 scheduled for next year and I want to do them.

Well here we are 1/3 way through the year so time to check in/reset a bit-

Financial Goals:
So we ended up going ahead with finishing our basement in Jan/Feb- it was basically an open space with some basic electrical, outer shell of drywall (no mud tape etc) and concrete floor- we turned it into 2 bedrooms, big full bath, under stairs storage, store room and big open family/living room. The original plan for this had been to get a loan but given we had a good chunk of money from the sale of my project show pony, we decided to see how far we could go just using cash...by PMing the job ourselves, doing all the buying (saving markup), clean up, painting, trim, flooring etc we managed to pay for it all...thus my financial goals above need to be re-set a bit-

New:
-Car Fund- at least get a start on this- say 1-2K by the end of the year
-DD's RESP- do an initial deposit of say 1K
-Replace furniture- wait till next year
-one big trip, 1-2 small- we are doing 2 small- DH and I going to Kentucky for 5 nights- I feel guilty about leaving DD2 for so long, but inlaws/my mom are happy to have her, but still feel guilty...booked flights on aeroplan miles, so just need hotel and car rental and a bit of spending- I've found lots of inexpensive decent hotels, and have car rental secured and will follow it and see if it drops.
-the other trip is DL in Dec for a couple of nights..booked a very cheap hotel to make up for some higher costs planned.

I am currently sorting and selling before we move the rest of the stuff in the garage back into the basement, which is making a nice little nest egg for the trips.

Personal:
-the last 15 pounds..this is proving really tough..I've lost a few but my body has stabilized of course..I need a drastic change but I don't know if I can make one
-Participate in 2-3 riding clinics: done 1, have one more scheduled :)

We bought a mattress this weekend, it's coming on Friday. With delivery and hauling away the old one, it's a little more than my bonus was but that's fine. They also threw in these two pillows that were apparently specialized to the questionnaire and "bed match" test we did. We didn't really pay attention to the pillows so much, but we'll take them anyway! So, question: do I tip the delivery people? If so, how much?

We bought a mattress this weekend, it's coming on Friday. With delivery and hauling away the old one, it's a little more than my bonus was but that's fine. They also threw in these two pillows that were apparently specialized to the questionnaire and "bed match" test we did. We didn't really pay attention to the pillows so much, but we'll take them anyway! So, question: do I tip the delivery people? If so, how much?

I personally wouldn't, but others may feel differently. Unless they go above and beyond when delivering the mattress.

We got a $570 refund check in the mail yesterday from our escrow account. :cool1: I've moved $70 over into our "bill savings" to bump it back up to cover upcoming utilities/water bills and the other $500 will go towards some of the home improvement things we're wanting to do. I'd like to save it, but since we were already planning on some of these home improvement things it will definitely help out.

Who was it that suggested Ally bank transfers get down to one day after doing back and forth transfers over $200? Yes, I am starting to see that now! I went in to transfer some money over to my Ally savings account today, and sure enough it says it's transferring tomorrow.
:wave:

Yes! This is when I started to really love Ally. I can schedule (through Ally) a transfer from our local bank to Ally savings after dinner and it's there when I log in the next morning. I think the cut off for next day transfer is 7:30 pm ET.
Super Fast and that 2.2% interest is sweet too! :thumbsup2

I once had a treadmill paid a few hundred for and it became more of a coat hanger!! That’s back when I ran all the time, was on active duty and much younger, but I ran outside mostly anyway even after work so didn’t really need it. Now, my lifestyle currently I think I would use it and want one, but we are paying for a gym monthly, so not happening plus the other reason the treadmill ended up selling is I didn’t want to ship it around anymore as we moved. I’d say look at the prices, decide what quality you want and the expected exercise on it. Will you be walking or running, etc. Some of that will determine price. If I were to actually get one, I’d be searching for used ones, trying to find one that’s in good shape but that somebody that was once like me just got done trying to keep moving houses with or that found they don’t really use it. Whatever your best used classifieds are where you live like Let it Go, etc., try that, and doesn’t hurt to browse the stores to get ideas of what capacity treadmill you even want to hunt for.

I agree. So many people buy and rarely use them. Check yard sales. Spring is perfect for people cleaning out old stuff from their homes. Dh bought one that folds flat for like $40.

Not all savings are offering more than 1.9 %. If your savings rate is 1.9 and your int is 1.9, then you arent gaining anything, just paying someone else interest.. I would pay off the loan.

Not all accounts are savings accounts. If you invest in mutual funds your money most likely will outpace any savings account by a long shot. Personally, we like the Vanguard US Growth Fund. It's 1 yr return rate is over 17%.
This is why many financial experts say that paying down your mortgage early isn't necessarily the smartest way to handle extra $$. If you would otherwise spend it, then yes. If you would invest it, then no.

We had $18,000+ in our Vanguard when we filed our taxes and owed the IRS $2070. I took that from our Vanguard around April 10 and it's already grown back a lot, getting to close to $17,000 due to growth.

I love Ally for short term savings, money ear-marked for an upcoming expense but Vanguard kicks azz for investing. :lovestruc

In 2019 I have:

• Added 1486.38 to my emergency fund
  • Upped my 401k contributions by 1% (I am now officially past company match)
  • Continued contributing $100 to my Christmas fund monthly
  • Continued bi-weekly contributions to Maid of Honor and Vacation Funds
  • Paid off my car
  • Paid off 1 credit card
  • Continued snowball with consumer debt payoff estimated at October 2019
  • Ran a 10k
  • Ran 125.1 miles total
That's wonderful progress! Good for you!

Not all accounts are savings accounts. If you invest in mutual funds your money most likely will outpace any savings account by a long shot. Personally, we like the Vanguard US Growth Fund. It's 1 yr return rate is over 17%.
This is why many financial experts say that paying down your mortgage early isn't necessarily the smartest way to handle extra $$. If you would otherwise spend it, then yes. If you would invest it, then no.

We had $18,000+ in our Vanguard when we filed our taxes and owed the IRS $2070. I took that from our Vanguard around April 10 and it's already grown back a lot, getting to close to $17,000 due to growth.

I love Ally for short term savings, money ear-marked for an upcoming expense but Vanguard kicks azz for investing. :lovestruc
Also a Vangaurd holder here, with VBIAX, STAR, and use VTSAX in my Roth.

Crappiest day of my life. My mom died in her sleep today. :sad::sad::sad: I still can't believe it.
She has been sick for so long and her quality of life just getting worse so it's totally selfish of me but at least then I could say hi to her, hug her, and talk to her. She is at peace now.:littleangel:

Crappiest day of my life. My mom died in her sleep today. :sad::sad::sad: I still can't believe it.
She has been sick for so long and her quality of life just getting worse so it's totally selfish of me but at least then I could say hi to her, hug her, and talk to her. She is at peace now.:littleangel:
I am so sorry for your loss! It hurts terribly to lose a parent. Not selfish at all to wish one more moment of time.

Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry!

Sorry for your loss. May your memory of her always be a blessing to you.

So very sorry for your loss.

I am so sorry for your loss. Thinking of you, especially on this day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter