Debt Dumpers - 2019

Other than that, my hobby is starting to gain traction. I'm an author in my spare time. My first novella came out in March and a publisher has purchased the rights to my first full-length book, that'll come out in May 2020. I'm excited to see it start to come to fruition after the time, money, and effort I've put into this "hobby."

Ooooh, what kind of book? And congratulations!!

Ooooh, what kind of book? And congratulations!!
Thank you! Young Adult.

I took my Batman profile on this board to become brave about my finances, behind a fake name. It's let me grab onto a few dreams, too. This one of becoming an author has been one since I was in junior high. It is almost ironic that I had to take a pen name because my real name is already in use by a lady who writes bodice-rippers. And my books are "clean reads" (no swearing, no nekkid bits) so I don't want to accidentally get mixed up with her. Hence, a pen name. Give me some more time and I'll be brave enough to share my books with you all.

It's been a soul-crushing AND liberating experience to bare my secret debt and work toward freedom. But I'm still so worried about judgment. People spend ridiculous amounts of time digging for info on anyone in the public eye (like Marissa Meyers' fanfiction name). It makes me hesitate to put up my info, even on this lil' ol' board.

Thank you! Young Adult.

I took my Batman profile on this board to become brave about my finances, behind a fake name. It's let me grab onto a few dreams, too. This one of becoming an author has been one since I was in junior high. It is almost ironic that I had to take a pen name because my real name is already in use by a lady who writes bodice-rippers. And my books are "clean reads" (no swearing, no nekkid bits) so I don't want to accidentally get mixed up with her. Hence, a pen name. Give me some more time and I'll be brave enough to share my books with you all.

It's been a soul-crushing AND liberating experience to bare my secret debt and work toward freedom. But I'm still so worried about judgment. People spend ridiculous amounts of time digging for info on anyone in the public eye (like Marissa Meyers' fanfiction name). It makes me hesitate to put up my info, even on this lil' ol' board.

That's awesome about being able to achieve some of your dreams! I totally understand the hesitation. Whenever you feel up to sharing, i'd love to give it a read. I'm always looking for new books to read.

Congratulations @imbatman !!!!!
That's such an awesome accomplishment.

When my agent emailed me to let me know that the publisher wanted to contract it, my first reply was, "Really?" It's not as easy as people think.
That's awesome about being able to achieve some of your dreams! I totally understand the hesitation. Whenever you feel up to sharing, i'd love to give it a read. I'm always looking for new books to read.
I'll DM you, if you'd like. :thumbsup2

Honestly, I'm giddy about my book. BUT, I'm just as excited as my debt reduction goals. We should be debt and mortgage free in 37 months. And that is crazy amazing to me.

That's very cool, @imbatman! Congratulations! I read a ton growing up but now find that I don't spend nearly as much time reading books... mostly just on long plane trips now. I do enjoy YA books and would be interested in yours when you feel ready to share!

Checking in before the end of the month because my oldest graduates high school next week and I don't have anything done. Kill me.

Took a hit when said almost graduates serpentine belt came off WHILE she was driving. Thankfully, she was not hurt and the alternator that was damaged was under warranty. However, the repair was $700. I wanted to cry. But we paid it and she volunteered to pay us back in full. And I'm grateful for that, but won't hold her feet to the fire. Right now, she's going through some awful issues with her BF. All of you praying folks, I can only ask that you pray she walks away from this relationship. We've offered to send her out of state, no matter the cost to us, if she wants to go to college somewhere else. And we are hoping she does that. I'd take All.The.Debt. if need be. There are some things worth doing.

Other than that, my hobby is starting to gain traction. I'm an author in my spare time. My first novella came out in March and a publisher has purchased the rights to my first full-length book, that'll come out in May 2020. I'm excited to see it start to come to fruition after the time, money, and effort I've put into this "hobby."

Looked through the finances yesterday and even with the $700 hit, we are still on track to have one CC paid off in July and another in August. I am getting a raise in Sept. but plan on rolling it into my Roth. I can retire early and have two pensions, one I can pull in 10 years and the other in 13. I still am keeping my eye on the long term goal of living comfortably after I (gladly) fly away from my desk job.
That's great! Yeah I'd love to read it! I actually read some YA sometimes to keep up with what kids read. I've tried my hand at writing but never seemed to get past writing chapter 2 of something! I feel like my brain doesn't work like it used to, if I had tried my hand at writing in my 20s, same with art, I probably could have finished a product! :)

@imbatman Congrats on your book! You will be the second novelist that I know now. Someone that I went to law school with is now a top-selling romance novelist. She travels all over the world and seems to lead a glamorous life. I didn't think romance novels where that lucrative, but I guess maybe it can be.

I don't either, but I bought it anyway.

My kid is going to LOSE HIS MIND. I can't wait!
BEST DAY EVER!!! My order went through. I'm going to not pull the 401k next week to pay for it!!! I was having a seriously craptastic day at work and this made it allllll better. Thank you so much @Shughart !

And thanks to everyone for their support on my writerly stuff. @Jen and Ashwin, I'd like to make it that far, but probably will be happy to break even. But maybe it'll fund my WDW plans!

Sat down with a new snowball spreadsheet after buying more alternators in a 12 month period than one should have to. I was failing myself, honestly, and not sticking to the snowball payoff. So here's the new plan: CC #1 will be paid off in June. CC #2 in July. CC #3 in November (or October if I can swing it). CC #4 in March. And CC #5 and car will be paid off in April 2020. That leaves the mortgage. Forwarded the plan to DH and we are all set. I have the future payments worked out and scheduled on a spreadsheet to make sure I stick with the plan. If his family inheritance comes through more quickly, we can smack that down. Otherwise, it's eyes on the prize.

And the new waffle maker!

I posted my totals just to be accountable to myself up there. I'm kinda excited that I figured out what I was doing wrong and why things weren't getting paid off. And, I'll have extra money to throw at it as the DD repays the newest alternator.

I don't either, but I bought it anyway.

My kid is going to LOSE HIS MIND. I can't wait!

who knows-you could end up saving on the deal. pancakes/waffles are among the least expensive foods to make (learned this on a cooking show) and are quick and easy so..............if in a pinch for dinner you opt to make mickey waffles vs. getting fast food you are probably many dollars ahead.

i watch the ads for a sale and grab a few cans of pie filling to keep on the shelf for waffles. it might be apple or blueberry (or both b/c the stuff freezes well for the leftovers). it's a heck of allot less expensive than a trip to ihop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!