Debt Dumpers - 2019

Update on the work situation for my DH: he decided to go ahead and ask if a transfer was possible and emailed the regional director Wednesday evening. He heard back a couple of hours later from her and she stated that actually his supervisor would be the one to initiate the conversation with the other office about it and she CC'd her on it without asking him first. So we spent most of Wednesday evening and Thursday morning wondering how she was going to take it. Thankfully she talked to my DH as soon as he got in yesterday and was supportive of it and understood the reasons he gave (he never said anything about her or anything bad about his current office, just stated the other office was closer and he liked their hours more). The supervisor for the other office is out until Monday so she will talk to her then. His supervisor did say she thought they may have already offered someone else the position but she wasnt positive, and he told that was fine as he really loves the work and would be happy to stay where he is if a transfer isn't possible. So overall it went quite well and now we just have to wait until next week to find out if he will be transferring or not.

In other thoughts, I've been playing around with the idea of taking a long weekend trip this summer to a beach somewhere. We have a trip in October to TX for a wedding planned but it will be short, just there Saturday and home Monday, then next trip is WDW end of March. Not sure if I want to cut back on debt dumping to pay for it since we havent done as well as I'd hoped so far this year, but I do feel we really need a trip. I'll play around with different options this weekend and see how badly it would affect our debt dumping before we decide for sure.

This is great information, thanks so much! It's good to hear that transportation doesnt take very long from boardwalk. Since this will be our first trip ever to WDW I've been a little stressed over the whole transportation thing lol. I think i am gonna go for the DVC rental.
I never felt that transportation was too bad. The Boardwalk doesn't share any transportation with other hotels, and it is pretty centrally located. You can always take a Lyft or Uber around too if you prefer. However, I usually take a bus downtown to get to work, so I'm not too bothered by waiting or longer trips because I'm used to it.

I've been picking up extra hours at my second job this month, so those paychecks will be used to beef up my savings just a little bit, and then I'll start explicitly saving for my vacation. In good news though, I do have a job interview this upcoming Tuesday :). I would still get to work for the University (hurray!), but I would be doing different research. No phone interview, they want to go straight to an in-person interview! Already have asked me questions like when could I start, what salary I want, and if I am authorized to work in the U.S.A., so I feel like they are motivated to hire someone quickly, so I hope that person will be me! If I get around what I'm asking for salary wise, I would be making 50% more than what I do now, which means bigger dumping for me!

We are officially credit card debt freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!! :banana::banana::banana: I just paid off our last $350. Now my goal is to stay this way lol.

Update on my beginning of the year goals:
  • Pay off the last $5235 in credit card debt that we have (all currently at 0% interest) ...... Officially done as of 6/14!!!!
  • Pay off DH's student loans $3340 ..... Total due now: $2832 (#1 $876 and #2 $1955). I hope to pay off #1 in the next few months, definitely by the end of the year.
  • Save $2000 in our emergency fund ..... Currently at $1250 since I took some to pay off a credit card early. Will beef this up in the next few months.
  • Increase mine and DHs retirement contributions (not sure by how much, but any little bit helps) .... Increased DH's back in December, I will increase mine in July/August. Hopefully will increase DH's again in the next few months.
  • Personal Goals:
  • Exercise more and lose some weight ....... I like food. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
  • Travel out of the country this year for my 30th birthday and our 5th wedding anniversary ...... Out of the country will probably not happen, but we plan on calling our October Disneyland trip a combo anniversary/birthday trip since we're staying at the GCH.
  • See my best friend at least twice, if not more ...... this is on track. Saw her at the end of May and will see her again in August.

I never felt that transportation was too bad. The Boardwalk doesn't share any transportation with other hotels, and it is pretty centrally located. You can always take a Lyft or Uber around too if you prefer. However, I usually take a bus downtown to get to work, so I'm not too bothered by waiting or longer trips because I'm used to it.

I've been picking up extra hours at my second job this month, so those paychecks will be used to beef up my savings just a little bit, and then I'll start explicitly saving for my vacation. In good news though, I do have a job interview this upcoming Tuesday :). I would still get to work for the University (hurray!), but I would be doing different research. No phone interview, they want to go straight to an in-person interview! Already have asked me questions like when could I start, what salary I want, and if I am authorized to work in the U.S.A., so I feel like they are motivated to hire someone quickly, so I hope that person will be me! If I get around what I'm asking for salary wise, I would be making 50% more than what I do now, which means bigger dumping for me!
Just FYI, the boardwalk does share transportation. I stayed in April.

Buuuut the transportation was never bad.

Just FYI, the boardwalk does share transportation. I stayed in April.

Buuuut the transportation was never bad.
Agreed. Not always though? @pblack I think really busy times are mostly non-shared (in my experience), but less busy times like very late, mid afternoon, or going to Disney Springs all the boardwalk area hotels often will share: Boardwalk, Beach, Yacht, Swan, Dolphin.

Thanks @MN_Andi, @StacyStrong, and @amalone1013! I think it should be ok and if we decide we don't want to use the bus/shuttle at least we have the option of uber/lyft. We haven't decided on which parks we want to visit yet, so I figure once we figure that out we'll take a closer look at the transportation logistics. I know we for sure want to visit MK (but if they happen to have a Christmas party on one of the nights we're there, we may just go to MK during the party times), and i'm leaning towards Epcot. If they do have a party while were there, we may consider trying to visit AK or HS before the Christmas party. But I also want to be mindful of the fact that I know we'll be tired so I don't wanna try and push us to far lol.

ETA: I see you leave on a cruise in 6 days @amalone1013, that's so exciting! I'm totally itching for a cruise right about now. Have a GREAT trip!

Hello everyone! It was a long week at work. Nothing like a bunch of young teenagers being in school when almost every other district is out already! And they have to come in tomorrow- I suspect some will stay home. I work on Tuesday and then I'm done :banana:
DD and DH got to Florida with no problems. I wasn't sure how that road trip would go but it seemed smooth- then again I wasn't there so they might have glossed over the difficult parts.
I got paid this week so I paid off my stress shopping and borrowed from savings to pay for my Universal AP's. I better be able to get on Hagrid's!! I also bought our tickets to the Art Institute of Chicago- I'm really looking forward to seeing Chicago.
All in all it's been really quiet at home. I don't think I'm cut out to live alone- I at least need my dogs. I've been trying to clean out "stuff" and have made some progress. Cleaned out the fridges and freezers today- that felt good. Later today I'm going to venture into her room and try to remove things that she didn't "sticky note".
I hope everyone has a great week- I won't be writing next week because I'll be on the road but I'm sure I'll be lurking!

.....and in 22 more days, my 2017 Honda Civic EX (with only 23K miles on her) will be paid off........ EARLY!!!
(got her in December 2016 under a 5 year note) -:goodvibes

Feels nice to be car note free -
My credit scores like it too.........

T.T.F.N.
&
CHEERS Y'ALL:woohoo:

If I ever leave DS again I will Uber/Lyft.....once waited an hour for a bus..it was around 3pm so they were probably all at MK.....last time i left DS stopped at S&D, YC. & BC then finally BWV was a royal pain...just say'in

We got back from Toronto yesterday. We had a nice visit with DH's family and went to his brother's convocation. We also went to the zoo and the science center, which DD enjoyed a lot. But 6 nights felt really long, especially when visiting with family and the time expectations around that. We are all glad to be home. We spent about $250 for the week in total, so not terrible at all. The hotel was covered with points and we ate at the in-law's house or packed a sandwich lunch on most days. Most of the cost was paying for zoo admission for us and DH's family plus gas expenses.

And I got back earlier from driving halfway to my parent's house and back to pick up my bird. My mom and dad met me so that neither of us had to make the entire drive, but it took about 6 hours round trip, so I am pretty exhausted. Then I spent the later afternoon with DH and DD. We went strawberry picking, which is a beloved annual tradition, and then went grocery shopping because we had nothing in the house after being gone all week.

And DH was approved for his life insurance at the same amount as we were quoted, so I am pleased. The coverage starts at the end of this month, the day before his 30th birthday. I will be applying for a policy too before my birthday in November. Getting life insurance was a big item on our to-do list for this year, so I am glad we are now 50% of the way there. I also want to get our will drafted this year too.

We also just finished the process for life insurance on DH, 20 yr term policy 500k.

Also now need to draft a will, another goal for this year. I know why I've dragged feet on it, but I need to call and just ask my specific questions regarding how we address care of the children and guardianship and funding for the guardian for them, should something happen to us both, so I can quit dragging feet. DH has a will he did a few years ago, but nothing in his addresses their care. Then, does he need to be with me at the time it's drafted because mine would mention care of the kids, does he need to redo his and mention their care, do we need to be together or not because with his schedule, that'll never happen. I think without children to consider and guardianship my will would be easy and done. But, I do need to just call, make my/our appointment.

Glad you had a good trip! We vacation with my DH's parents for 3/4 days and that feels like the right length to me. Good on you for taking care of your life insurance. I just turned 34, and my husband will in 3 weeks and we're finally in the process of getting this done. We have our physicals on Wednesday and then I am hoping for good news. We really should have done this a few years ago! Once we are hopefully approved and good to go, we need to sit down and discuss guardianship wishes with our first choices, and backup choices. Then draft a will.

We are officially credit card debt freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!! :banana::banana::banana: I just paid off our last $350. Now my goal is to stay this way lol.

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Woohoo @pblack !!! All the congrats to you!

In my small world, learned that DH is losing all possibility of earning OT. And normally I'd be sad about that, but he's keeping his job while others are getting laid off. He's adamant about using any and all inheritance to pay off CC debt. You guys, I think he finally caught the bug of being debt free!

We also just finished the process for life insurance on DH, 20 yr term policy 500k.

Also now need to draft a will, another goal for this year. I know why I've dragged feet on it, but I need to call and just ask my specific questions regarding how we address care of the children and guardianship and funding for the guardian for them, should something happen to us both, so I can quit dragging feet. DH has a will he did a few years ago, but nothing in his addresses their care. Then, does he need to be with me at the time it's drafted because mine would mention care of the kids, does he need to redo his and mention their care, do we need to be together or not because with his schedule, that'll never happen. I think without children to consider and guardianship my will would be easy and done. But, I do need to just call, make my/our appointment.

we are just this week reviewing the final draft of our wills so i can share how we have done it. now, we are in a bit different situation in that both our kids are adults BUT one is disabled so we ARE his legal guardians so the whole guardian issue will come up when we pass.

both our wills were drafted at the same time, both speak to if one spouse passes the estate going to the other BUT they also speak to what should happen if one spouse has predeceased the other w/respect to the 'child' under guardianship and how their share of the estate is to be handled.

the best advise i can give is to engage an attorney skilled and familiar with guardianship rules in your state. in mine there are 2 types of guardians-1 of the person/1 of their 'estate'. an estate guardianship is a p.i.t.a. and entails special training and mountains of yearly paperwork be submitted to the courts for accounting purposes. for that reason we will have our estate set up so that a trust account is set up that will provide for the child under guardianship but doesn't require as much paperwork for the guardian.

as an aside-when you do you will stuff, if you/your dh have any kind of a link to any future pensions look into the rules on them. w/some if your spouse (usual beneficiary of any continuing benefit if the plan provides for one) predeceases you paperwork can be submitted so that when you pass your minor children receive the survivor's benefit. if that's the case then put that information with your will wherever you end up storing it (minor kids can end up with social security benefits, pension benefits, vets benefits...but unless someone directs their guardian to apply for it they may never know those benefits exist).

we are just this week reviewing the final draft of our wills so i can share how we have done it. now, we are in a bit different situation in that both our kids are adults BUT one is disabled so we ARE his legal guardians so the whole guardian issue will come up when we pass.

both our wills were drafted at the same time, both speak to if one spouse passes the estate going to the other BUT they also speak to what should happen if one spouse has predeceased the other w/respect to the 'child' under guardianship and how their share of the estate is to be handled.

the best advise i can give is to engage an attorney skilled and familiar with guardianship rules in your state. in mine there are 2 types of guardians-1 of the person/1 of their 'estate'. an estate guardianship is a p.i.t.a. and entails special training and mountains of yearly paperwork be submitted to the courts for accounting purposes. for that reason we will have our estate set up so that a trust account is set up that will provide for the child under guardianship but doesn't require as much paperwork for the guardian.

as an aside-when you do you will stuff, if you/your dh have any kind of a link to any future pensions look into the rules on them. w/some if your spouse (usual beneficiary of any continuing benefit if the plan provides for one) predeceases you paperwork can be submitted so that when you pass your minor children receive the survivor's benefit. if that's the case then put that information with your will wherever you end up storing it (minor kids can end up with social security benefits, pension benefits, vets benefits...but unless someone directs their guardian to apply for it they may never know those benefits exist).
Those are good points. I'm going to research some more and think about all assets we need to list. Then if needed DH needs to redo his, he can put in for time off work. I've attempted appointments before but things always come up and couldn't miss work. I'll feel more secure when we get all our documents in order. Glad we finally secured the life insurance, it was a must as he'll lose his insurance when he leaves this job in the next few years (they do offer another type of life insurance after leaving but it's insanely expensive) so anyway we needed the private insurance. I'm close to 50, he's already there, so this 20 year policy sees us to a retired age, social security drawing age, pensions, kids will be grown, etc.

We got back from Toronto yesterday. We had a nice visit with DH's family and went to his brother's convocation. We also went to the zoo and the science center, which DD enjoyed a lot. But 6 nights felt really long, especially when visiting with family and the time expectations around that. We are all glad to be home. We spent about $250 for the week in total, so not terrible at all. The hotel was covered with points and we ate at the in-law's house or packed a sandwich lunch on most days. Most of the cost was paying for zoo admission for us and DH's family plus gas expenses.

And I got back earlier from driving halfway to my parent's house and back to pick up my bird. My mom and dad met me so that neither of us had to make the entire drive, but it took about 6 hours round trip, so I am pretty exhausted. Then I spent the later afternoon with DH and DD. We went strawberry picking, which is a beloved annual tradition, and then went grocery shopping because we had nothing in the house after being gone all week.

And DH was approved for his life insurance at the same amount as we were quoted, so I am pleased. The coverage starts at the end of this month, the day before his 30th birthday. I will be applying for a policy too before my birthday in November. Getting life insurance was a big item on our to-do list for this year, so I am glad we are now 50% of the way there. I also want to get our will drafted this year too.
Leave for TO tomorrow and will return Saturday. We have one night booked in Niagara Falls too. We’re hitting the ROM, Ripleys and a food tour of Chinatown and Kensington Market.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!