Debt Dumpers 2020

Work in progress so far but I’m pleased! I’ve been working virtually for a few weeks. My kids have also been home so doing e-learning with my first grader and keeping the preschooler occupied, plus juggling my own work, has been quite the balancing act. My husband is an essential worker so he is still working. So far, here is where I am:
-DVC dues, APs, and Villains After Hours paid for with BJs gift card deal. Villains tickets for 5/14 refunded. Planning to use that refund for MNSSHP and no longer doing MVMCP. My husband and I both are currently prohibited from traveling out of state and we anticipate this will also be the case in November.
-DVC contract 1 is paid in full. Half of DVC contract 2 is still waiting to be half paid off at the end of May and should be on track to be paid off in full by November.
-Eat cleaner-this has fallen by the wayside since being home
-Cut out soda-I’m back up to 1 soda a week due to being home
-Lose at least 20 lbs by May-I refuse to weigh myself any longer lol
-Reduce screen time-utter fail right now because my screen time has increased with helping my first grader and doing my own work from home
-Coupon-on hold until this stay at home order is over
-Buy less stuff-this is actually working really well since I’m stuck at home 24/7

This is not the best year and a hard April ahead for me. It's hard to write, but my mother passed away. I'll be a bit silent as I deal with the loss and am the one making final arrangements, and as happens many times a loss in the family brings out a lot of other pain for others in particular one of my siblings, I simply don't believe can recover from this because of already underlying mental disorder with them they won't believe her death, though not diagnosed aligns quite closely with schizophrenia and delusion. That, I just don't know I am capable of dealing with. I'm faced with making arrangements, and they are in complete denial, and of course all the decisions to be made, it's just a really hard time.

It's a heavy heart with massive guilt from me wishing I had spent more quality time before she passed with her, and had not lived so far across country and world for that matter some of the time all those adult years of mine when I went off on my own. When I finally moved within a few hours drive a few years ago with a job with DH went to, she was already too ill to really even recognize me, and also too otherwise physically ill, so we never got that great time I desperately wished I had. I went to visit often, but it was sad every time and me longing we could have quality time. One of my favorite pictures was from some 10 years before all this, as she watched a Disney parade lit up like a child would, I had taken the picture, and I will always love that feeling the picture evokes for me, you can see the joy the entertainment Disney gave, the fun and magic, it's just a simple yet beautiful glimpse I get to see from her point of view, as she watched it. As it's said, it's like grieving twice and for a really, long time when dealing with a loved one's memory loss. I find myself wondering the same I have heard from people older than me, where does time go? What an unbearable time right now, with all these things going on in the country, and then one thing after another. Feels like one blow after another, really!

This is not the best year and a hard April ahead for me. It's hard to write, but my mother passed away. I'll be a bit silent as I deal with the loss and am the one making final arrangements, and as happens many times a loss in the family brings out a lot of other pain for others in particular one of my siblings, I simply don't believe can recover from this because of already underlying mental disorder with them they won't believe her death, though not diagnosed aligns quite closely with schizophrenia and delusion. That, I just don't know I am capable of dealing with. I'm faced with making arrangements, and they are in complete denial, and of course all the decisions to be made, it's just a really hard time.

It's a heavy heart with massive guilt from me wishing I had spent more quality time before she passed with her, and had not lived so far across country and world for that matter some of the time all those adult years of mine when I went off on my own. When I finally moved within a few hours drive a few years ago with a job with DH went to, she was already too ill to really even recognize me, and also too otherwise physically ill, so we never got that great time I desperately wished I had. I went to visit often, but it was sad every time and me longing we could have quality time. One of my favorite pictures was from some 10 years before all this, as she watched a Disney parade lit up like a child would, I had taken the picture, and I will always love that feeling the picture evokes for me, you can see the joy the entertainment Disney gave, the fun and magic, it's just a simple yet beautiful glimpse I get to see from her point of view, as she watched it. As it's said, it's like grieving twice and for a really, long time when dealing with a loved one's memory loss. I find myself wondering the same I have heard from people older than me, where does time go? What an unbearable time right now, with all these things going on in the country, and then one thing after another. Feels like one blow after another, really!

I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm thinking of you and hope you can get some peace.

March Updates: I am so very thankful and blessed DH and I made a decision in 2019 to get our financial goals in order. I am also thankful I work for a great company and can work from home during this time with no impact to my pay or benefits. We are spending more on eating out then we normally do trying to support locally owned restaurants and giving big tips. On the positive side I have not gotten gas for my car in almost a month so there is savings there. Trying to maintain my routine as much as possible. I run at 4:30 in the morning so don't have to worry about social distancing that early. I have the roads to myself. I just struggle sitting all day at home at my make shift office (kitchen table). At work I would be walking between buildings/floors to meetings so I would get up at least once an hour. I need to do a better job of that at home. Best wishes to everyone during this difficult time.

2020 Financial Goals:
Pay off Car: $9,735 - paid off in March
Savings: $10k - Completed in March
Pay off cruise (due March 20): $2,305 - DONE - Although cruise will most likely be cancelled
RV Fund - $400 - Amount TBD for 2020

2020 Personal Goals:

Complete 1/2 marathon in under 2 1/2 hrs
Lose 22 pounds
Complete riding the GAP with hubby - Scheduled for Aug!

Jen Hon
I am so sorry to hear that your mom has passed away. It is time for you to give yourself all the time in the world to grieve and process through this your own way. Remember to practise self care,,cry,,it really does help,get mad,but always remember you were a good daughter and she was dearly loved.
Take time to think of ways you can honor her.
This may sound silly of me but each year I go to Epcot flower and garden event and sprinkle a few Forget Me Not seeds and sit with a cup of tea in the British pavilion thinking and remembering all the good times my mom and I shared.
You will come through this Hon,,Special Hugs being sent your way!

Hugs
Mel

My student loans are finally showing up as in forbearance with 0% interest. I can still pay it monthly because I'm working. However, I have decided not to pay and hold the money in a savings account. That way if an emergency pops up with everything going on, I'll have the cash. If no emergency, I'll gain some interest and then throw it all to the student loan when the forbearance period ends.

My student loans are finally showing up as in forbearance with 0% interest. I can still pay it monthly because I'm working. However, I have decided not to pay and hold the money in a savings account. That way if an emergency pops up with everything going on, I'll have the cash. If no emergency, I'll gain some interest and then throw it all to the student loan when the forbearance period ends.
My student loans are still collecting interest, but I honestly don't remember if mine are federal or not. I can't figure out how to check if they are.

My student loans are still collecting interest, but I honestly don't remember if mine are federal or not. I can't figure out how to check if they are.
What service provider? That should help figure it out.
Absent that, if you look at the loan details, it should tell you the loan name/type.

my cousins is still showing even though hers are federal, so some of it may be a delay in the providers figuring it all out

I'm going to do the exact same thing as you. You're with Fed Loan Servicing right? I checked it this morning too and saw that. Did you see you can ask for a refund for your March payment if it was made after 3/13? Mine was on 3/26 so I'm going to see if I can get them on the phone this afternoon for a refund and then take the money and put it into my savings.

What service provider? That should help figure it out.
Absent that, if you look at the loan details, it should tell you the loan name/type.

my cousins is still showing even though hers are federal, so some of it may be a delay in the providers figuring it all out
My service provider is American education services. I'll have to go in and see if I can find the type in the loan details. I made a payment yesterday even though I didn't need too (paid ahead) so if it turns out they're just being slow to roll out the 0% interest, hopefully they refund my interest payment.

Eta: looks like my loan was a private loan. (Dont remember that since it was so long ago.) So I guess this wont be beneficial to me. Oh well. I still plan to have it paid off by the end of the year.

I'm going to do the exact same thing as you. You're with Fed Loan Servicing right? I checked it this morning too and saw that. Did you see you can ask for a refund for your March payment if it was made after 3/13? Mine was on 3/26 so I'm going to see if I can get them on the phone this afternoon for a refund and then take the money and put it into my savings.
Yep + Nelnet, but most is with Fed Loan

My due date is like the 7th so I can’t get that refund. Good luck with call waits!!!!

Found out DH's student loans are not eligible, but he still applied for a 90-day waiver. We are sitting down Saturday (since it's supposed to be super rainy) and going over our finances to plot out our course of action. As for now, ROTH contributions are on hold. That money is being put toward paying off CC #1, which should be paid off at the end of May, with the car payment and stimulus checks. That'll be a big woo-hoo!

Yep + Nelnet, but most is with Fed Loan

My due date is like the 7th so I can’t get that refund. Good luck with call waits!!!!

I actually had no problem at all getting through to them. Someone answered immediately. They suggested that I contact my bank and ask them to reverse the transaction and said that may be faster. Well, I hung up with Fed Loan and called Bank of America and it was an hour and a half wait to talk to someone. No thanks. I didn't see a way to do it online since it only gave ways to dispute charges on your debit card, which obviously I didn't pay with a debit card and I didn't really want to dispute the charge anyways. So I called Fed Loan back again (someone picked up immediately again) and just asked if she could issue a refund. She said that it may take 2 weeks to 2 months for me to get the refund, but she started the process.

She also let me know that it's currently taking 7 to 10 days to put people's accounts into forbearance, so she recommended that if you have a payment relatively soon that you call in and ask that payment not be drafted so you avoid having to get it refunded later. Other than that though, she said everything will be automatic going forward.

(((Big Hugs)))
Losing a parent (especially a mom), is very painful. Know, everyone here on these boards are here for you, not just today, but months and years too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter