Debt Dumpers 2020

In actual budgeting news, I suspect my grocery budget to increase dramatically because I’m going to try to do grocery delivery to the extent that I can to 1) limit exposure and 2) support delivery workers. Of course I know there’s no way to actually limit since someone else will be getting the groceries for me anyway.

On the other hand, my dining out and entertainment budgets will be pretty close to $0 for a while....

In actual budgeting news, I suspect my grocery budget to increase dramatically because I’m going to try to do grocery delivery to the extent that I can to 1) limit exposure and 2) support delivery workers. Of course I know there’s no way to actually limit since someone else will be getting the groceries for me anyway.

On the other hand, my dining out and entertainment budgets will be pretty close to $0 for a while....
Yep, my grocery budget went way over. I restocked and had to buy more with the kids home from school now. Dining out and entertainment=zero. Even pizza night is now Tombstone or Red Baron pizza night :) Unfortunately, I had quite a few packs of Mama Mary's pizza crusts I had bought and kept frozen right before all this because one the kids likes to make theirs, but I can't make them because pizza sauce is not available here and we're out! I forgot to get them when they were on my list, and now, well not there!

I think my grocery budget is about the same right now, maybe a little less? I tried placing online orders on Monday but kept being told there were no times available, so I said screw it and went out and got what I needed. I hadn't planned on having to go back out until maybe next week, but I ended up having to go to target this morning after realizing that the 2 conditioner's i bought a few weeks ago were actually shampoo 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️. and anyone with long hair knows conditioner is essential lol.

We also ordered pizza last night and I'd like to try and order from some other places just to keep giving them business, so I expect our dining out budget will be higher than normal. But I guess it's give and take.

Checking in from Minnesota, our governor just put in an executive order to "stay at home" for the next two weeks. We're trying to ramp up production of medical equipment (3M, Medtronic, and others have their headquarters here) and increase ICU capacity. I found it interesting that we're looking at cell phone data (if I am even using the right term) to look at social distancing. Minnesota is doing well with that too. I will say I'm quite happy with how much we are stepping up to hopefully help everyone else!

I am essential, and fortunately everyone in my immediate family works in an essential field. I work in medicine, and we are expecting a huge increase of needs for the summer. We have been going through our patients and trying to figure out who needs to come in, who can wait, and what visits can be done virtually. I am in the office most of the week, mostly to help out my coworkers who are at high risk to get some of their tasks done, but thankfully I can do the vast majority of work at home.

I hope everyone is well and stays well physically, emotionally, and mentally! :flower:

Hi, quick check in. I am not doing any extra on payoff for the auto loan at the moment, just going to let the regular payments come out. I saw some interesting deals on auto refinancing I had not seen since, well I don't know when. Navy Fed had one for 1.79% to refinance with a $200 bonus (not sure as of this writing if that $200 bonus is still an offer), I am passing on though since mine is at 1.9% anyway, don't really feel like messing with changing out the financial lender right now. Also saw PenFed had an interesting low one last week, now the rate looks like it went back up.

Our WDW is cancelled, and I'm waiting on the return back from WDW for the DAH. I will say, they were pleasant on the phone dealing with this, and the person that I chatted with said it's not even his normal department. Airlines, well that was crazy to go back and forth with and really on that note, I feel like not even mentioning the back and forth! I don't think I ended up making a good decision on my airfare, but anyway. Our schools are closed through the remainder of the academic year. Also will have some other refunds coming back now with schools closed as they can't use the buildings so the programs they had outside of the school day are also closed. Debating now on trying to get one of my kids' instruments returned that we rent. He was not going to sign up again in the fall anyway, but I'm just going to wait just another week or two for more guidance and information from the school on band/instruments. It was elementary school band for that one. My middle schooler, we are keeping him in and keeping his instrument rented, should be about paid off by now anyway having it a few years.

Wow, I hadn't even thought of that. Ds19 took out a car loan back last March when he was working at Amazon FT. He has a good chunk paid off and no payments due until late Sept but now with the virus, the restaurant he was working at has closed until the storm is passed. I think the only way he could get a refi would be to put it in dh's name. He did cosign for ds but I don't think it would be smart to take ds completely off the hook for the loan.
Now that Amazon is hiring 100,000 people, ds could probably get his old job back but he is not very into the idea of having to go to work in a huge place with so many employees right now. It's just not worth getting sick, or getting someone else sick.

Be safe and stay strong! :grouphug:

In budget news we stopped paying extra on our mortgage this month and likely will not file our taxes until summer, since we will owe several thousand dollars, and the deadline was extended until July 15 so no hurry now to get that done. Like many of you, I feel "safer" keeping more cash available right now.

In budget news we stopped paying extra on our mortgage this month and likely will not file our taxes until summer, since we will owe several thousand dollars, and the deadline was extended until July 15 so no hurry now to get that done. Like many of you, I feel "safer" keeping more cash available right now.
I recall reading somewhere you need to file on time but if you owe, you can send payment at the later deadline. I’d confirm this of course.

I recall reading somewhere you need to file on time but if you owe, you can send payment at the later deadline. I’d confirm this of course.
The IRS website says "the federal income tax filing due date is automatically extended from April 15, 2020, to July 15, 2020. ", so I assume that means I don't need to file anything until then? Someone please correct me if I'm misunderstanding that!

The IRS website says "the federal income tax filing due date is automatically extended from April 15, 2020, to July 15, 2020. ", so I assume that means I don't need to file anything until then? Someone please correct me if I'm misunderstanding that!
You are right
Originally they moved the payment date but NOT the filing date
But then a few days later (I think...but to be fair, all the days are starting to blur together) they moved the filing date as well

You are right
Originally they moved the payment date but NOT the filing date
But then a few days later (I think...but to be fair, all the days are starting to blur together) they moved the filing date as well

Yes things keep changing rapidly. I can only watch so much news til it starts making me crazy. :crazy2:
It makes sense to change both. Why force people to visit their accountant right now.

Well, I got some great news today. I've been in a (free) rental car for two weeks while I wait for the Hyundai dealership to get the final answer on whether my car's engine is replaced. I hadn't heard anything but knew that it may be a while and that things were probably even slower moving now with everything going on. This morning, the Hyundai dealership called me and said "we just want to let you know your car is ready for pickup." I was like "ummm, what? Like you're going to replace the motor?" And she goes "no, it's done. We already replaced it and you can come get it today." When I told her I'd never even gotten confirmation that it was going to be replaced, she was like "omg..." LOL. But whatever. They replaced it at 130,000 miles- FOR FREE. I went over there and dropped the keys to the rental car off and they pulled my car up to the front door and that was it. Brand new motor, no miles on it. It drives great. I'm very relieved that with so much uncertainty right now, that is one thing off my plate!

Well, I got some great news today. I've been in a (free) rental car for two weeks while I wait for the Hyundai dealership to get the final answer on whether my car's engine is replaced. I hadn't heard anything but knew that it may be a while and that things were probably even slower moving now with everything going on. This morning, the Hyundai dealership called me and said "we just want to let you know your car is ready for pickup." I was like "ummm, what? Like you're going to replace the motor?" And she goes "no, it's done. We already replaced it and you can come get it today." When I told her I'd never even gotten confirmation that it was going to be replaced, she was like "omg..." LOL. But whatever. They replaced it at 130,000 miles- FOR FREE. I went over there and dropped the keys to the rental car off and they pulled my car up to the front door and that was it. Brand new motor, no miles on it. It drives great. I'm very relieved that with so much uncertainty right now, that is one thing off my plate!
I am not sure where you live, but most shelter in place orders I have read include auto repair shops. I am happy your car repai was honored under warranty and able to be repaired at this time.

I'm in VA. No shelter in place here and car dealerships/mechanics are deemed essential business.
Sorry. I didn’t explain well that auto repair is considered essential during most shelter in place. I consider your story as proof they are essential. There are so many naysayers that a lot of nonessential stuff is still open. My mind is just all jumbled up.

ETA, I am not sure I made any better sense with this post:rolleyes1

Wow, that's fantastic! You may have already explained this in another post, but why did they replace it for free with 130,000 miles? Surely it was not still under warranty?

Wow, that's fantastic! You may have already explained this in another post, but why did they replace it for free with 130,000 miles? Surely it was not still under warranty?

It wasn't under warranty, and the service manager couldn't tell me for sure what exactly had gone wrong, only that Hyundai knew it was their fault when these particular model year engines blew and were replacing them for free. She said she had seen some engines with 200k miles blow up and still get replaced. Looking online, there was a recall for metal being left in the engine during the manufacturing process. I don't know if that's what happened to mine or not, but I'm glad they fixed it! They had originally told me it would be 3-4 months before they were able to replace it and that I'd be in a rental car that whole time, but because of the virus they had to close their shop down and had time to do it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!