Dec 2020 - curious about what people think will happen...

Best_Vacation_EVER!

DIS Veteran
We currently have a Christmas reservation for a split stay in late December 2020. We haven't cancelled yet --- we have a crazy high WJ credit for cancelling our July trip to BC --- and don't want a crazy high credit with AC for our Dec trip as well.

I know no one has a crystal ball about this but do you think that Canada/US travel will resume by December? Will the 14 day quarantine still be in effect on either side (a deal breaker for us)?

I'm tempted to re-book for summer 2021 but hate the idea of the heat/humidity of a July/August vacation in Orlando.

I have back to back cruises booked in early December, so I am also wondering what will happen. I haven't got flights booked yet because I can't guess, and my pay in full isn't until September so I have some time to see how it plays out. I have a back up plan to book an All Inclusive somewhere for later in winter if we can't cruise then, I wonder if other countries will be easier to travel to/from. There are a large number of Caribbean countries with no current cases of COVID now, I'm sure they don't want it so wonder if cruises will be limited in ports, and if even the AI's will be limited.

However, I believe if they reopen the Canada-US border to "non-essential" travel, they won't be able to enforce the 14 day quarantine upon arrival to Canada from the US. It wouldn't make sense, why allow people to come visit only to lock them somewhere for 2 weeks before they can really do so? And there are people who will cross border shop, how do you let them make a day trip to the US then confine them 2 weeks when they get back? It's not logical. I believe the US was pushing to reopen the border this month and we have another 30 days. I do not imagine it will go another 30 days, but perhaps two weeks or so until after July 4th? Hard to guess, but I imagine it will open up more this summer. Provincial borders as well, since the guards on the bridges between Ontario/Quebec have been removed from what I understand.

As for going to Disney in heat/humidity, done it twice, and I'll do it again :) We don't mind too much as long as we take it slow. I have never really been for a full week at any other time of year though, we spent a few days in February once, and once in April, once in May (pre and then post cruises). I think August had more storms, but it was certainly hot in April/May already. I do think my next Disney trip will end up being two weeks, probably with a few days in the middle at Universal/SeaWorld, and most likely in August (maybe 2021 but more likely 2022). Hmm, Disney or Universal in December could be a good plan if we can't cruise... though if one isn't going to happen the other isn't likely either.

This super planner is not happy to not be able to plan things.

Thanks hdrofle ... Yeah one of my friends came back from a July trip to WDW a few years ago and described it as "vacationing on the surface of the sun" which wouldn't be our first choice -- at all. But we'd do a summer trip if the 14 day quarantine is still a thing... since with a kid in school that would be the only time we'd be able to deal with 14 days of quarantine on our return.

We'd love to take our Christmas trip this year --- but would be disappointed if they didn't offer fireworks/shows/parties/events for those times and would definitely delay our trip if those things weren't available... and having a 14 day quarantine on return would be a non-starter for us...

Totally agree that the planner in me is totally stressed at this point ---- can make my ADRs for Dec in late June and probably will but ... knowing that things are still not certain at all...

The problem for me is what you say above, if they don't offer certain things. I'm still paying a big price for the trip, I want to enjoy all the stuff that goes along with that.

Vacationing on the surface of the sun... with wild and crazy storms :) We never did leave Magic Kingdom where we didn't get soaked... though the last time was because kiddo insisted we HAD to ride Slash Mountain one last time. The rest were the storms :)

I think things won’t be back to normal then. And I do think it’s likely they will enforce a 14 day quarantine period upon returning to Canada. I think if they do open the borders it will be more about allowing people to visit family etc. I really think our government is more concerned with protecting Canadians and limiting new cases being imported then having tourists visit. Also most tourism in Canada happens in the summer anyways.

honestly nobody knows what’s going to happen. But I would be prepared to have to cancel.

We also have a Dec trip. My feeling is that we will have a second wave but there will still be travel with many precautions but WDW will be open , again with many precautions. Our economies can not sustain this much longer, so this will be a deciding factor

I have a flight booked for last week of Dec but am going to be cancelling it...my WestJet bank is overflowing right now.
I did cancel my DVC reservation stay.
It's hard because Dec is such a beautiful time to visit Disney with all the cheer and decorations.
My heart goes out to you OP.
Big Hugs
Mel

December trip here. I seriously doubt we're going but I'm holding out hope. However, I'm in NY, and currently Florida has a 14-day quarantine for anyone traveling to FL from NY, so that would kill the trip right there. Also, regardless of whether WDW is open or not at that time, I have no desire to be in an airport, on a plane, or in a crowded park while there's still no vaccine. I myself might be careful, wear my mask, keep my hands ultra clean, etc., but I have no control over other people.

For those of you who aren't aware of this--the more people you're in contact with over a longer period of time, the higher the risk of infection . . . and one of the most infection-ridden places is a public bathroom. I'd be beyond uncomfortable using one right now.

We are thinking about booking a trip for December, we are hoping things improve well enough that restrictions on travel will ease. We live in Canada so have the border and quarantine issue to deal with for now. Also, its hard to know how things will be in December at this point, fingers crossed.

We have a December bounce back with free dining planned right now for Dec 11-16 (booked it last September). We recently booked the flight with aeroplan points, so I believe I can get all those back if I want to cancel or AC cancel. The points were cheap and I think once flights start up again they will be crazy expensive for the next little while. I hope we can go, but am preparing myself that it will be cancelled. We also have a Celebrity cruise planned for Feb 2021 out of FLL. I love to plan and travel, so not knowing when we might be able to travel again safely is tough. I also don't want to be vacationing if I have to wear a mask constantly. I have no problems with wearing the mask on grocery trips or a flight etc., but i feel so claustrophobic when its on, so wearing one for 8 hours while in the parks would not be an option for me. The next month will be very telling in my opinion with all the openings in US and the more controlled openings here in Canada.

We have flights booked for the first week of March 2021. As @Jo-Anne said Aeroplan had plenty of availability on good flights, low points and 1/2 the fees we paid the last time we flew to MCO on Aeroplan points a few years ago. As others have said it all depends on the second wave- every pandemic in history has had one. I'm probably at about 50-50 as to whether we end up cancelling and I suppose it depends on when and how Disney releases rooms/rates for next year.

We have a December cruise booked at the moment. At first I was hopeful but now I am 50%.
Obviously the borders need to be opened. Then need to decide how things are. Will there be a second wave? What changes will the parks make, and in our case the cruise ships make? For us, it's out of New Jersey which is good as we have the option to drive (a long drive but it'd doable) but bad since NJ may be one of the last areas to open up for vacation.

You must have awhile before final payment to decide. We still have Disney booked for end of Aug and final payment is end of July.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the border opens after the July 4 weekend.

I have 2 trips booked, flights paid. early Aug with my daughter and late November/Dec with friends to enjoy the Christmas decorations.

Still have no idea what to do so I’m waiting to see when border opens. If we have to quarantine for 2 weeks returning home I’ll have to cancel Aug as my daughter can’t take 4 weeks off work. She has a 2 week vacation.

You must have awhile before final payment to decide. We still have Disney booked for end of Aug and final payment is end of July.

We have room only but have paid in full for rooms, flights, tickets, etc... for our Christmas 2020 trip.

For us I think the 4 things that will be deal-breakers for us:

1/ Border has to open to non-essential travel
2/ 14 day quarantine has to not be required.
3/ How limited the offerings will be. (I am fine with the social distancing, no buffets, limited character interaction, wearing a mask (in December that shouldn't be too warm --- would be nervous if we had a summer trip and mask wearing was still required. Orlando is very hot and humid in the summer and wearing a mask will definitely make things even warmer.)
4/ Travel insurance won't be an issue...

I was talking to a couple of fellow WDW fans and they were musing that maybe there should be the quick test done at the airport when you clear US customs (at least at the airports that the US has a customs presence. ...) and if you test positive you don't get on the flight. If you test negative you can skip quarantine. The quick tests aren't 100% but it may be something that would get things moving again. And on return since Orlando doesn't have CBSA in the airport they could do the quick test when you come back and if positive they have you self quarantine. This isn't 100% but would help with tracing since you'd have records of positives/negatives and which passengers/employees had contact with positive cases.

Last edited:
I have rooms booked for Dec- Christmas week... planning a split stay between USO and Disney. I do have annual passes for USO and Canadian promo tickets for Disney. I’m cautiously hopeful. But I haven’t pulled the trigger on flights yet. I was thinking of using some credit I got from AC to book it but I don’t know what will happen if flights go and there is a 14 day quarantine upon arriving at Orlando. I hope that they could think of how to manage this without the 14 day quarantine. I’m also hoping they do have fireworks and shows. We went to USO last Christmas and attended the Christmas party at MK. I was hoping to spend some time at Disney parks this year...

I've been trying to decide whether to book January 2021. I have dvc points that will expire if I don't use them (only 23). After reading through this thread, I'm thinking just let them expire. Bank my current year into next and hope for the best. If I did book January and then have to cancel due to border issues, it would be too late to bank my current year points. So depressing...

I've been trying to decide whether to book January 2021. I have dvc points that will expire if I don't use them (only 23). After reading through this thread, I'm thinking just let them expire. Bank my current year into next and hope for the best. If I did book January and then have to cancel due to border issues, it would be too late to bank my current year points. So depressing...
I can totally relate, it is very depressing to think that just a few months ago we could simply book and go. Now everything is screwed up and the “new normal” isn’t all that appealing. Thanks a lot covid.

after watching this video from Shanghai, I am not sure this is how I want to visit Disney. Will likely cancel our Dec trip.

too stressful.

I have my annual December trip reservations already, too. But not a split Disney Cruise reservation.

I usually make Pop Century reservations at 490-months out if I know my plans since it is so difficult to obtain availability for all my nights with a wheelchair roll-in shower room lately.

I usually make DVC BWV resort reservations every January at 11-months out for the same reason, but I still had to waitlist and call every day to obtain the unavailable room type.

And now the SARS CoV 2 (COVID-19) issues.

Of course, I'm worried about catching SARS CoV 2 (COVID-19).

I was already bummed about no fireworks and parades and possible large shows at DHS and EPCOT.

I don't or can't physically enjoy many of the attraction rides like I used, too.

The only very sad advantage for me personally is that I no longer have any family at all.

That sounds weird, but especially during these long months of isolation because of SARS CoV 2 (COVID-19) an my age.

Plus I was going to plan my first Disney Cruise since the AllEars.Net Disney Cruise.

I am waiting on that.

Actually, I'm waiting for everything.

I'll probably have to swallow the $1,000.00, 4-day BWV rental that I made here.

I just have a nagging feeling that more and more adults and children are going to die if everything unexpectedly than is forecast.

Every month symptoms and age groups change or are added that catch and die from SARS CoV 2 (COVID-19).

First it was almost exclusively my age group and it still is.

Then a month later younger adults.

And now, recently, children's just awful symptoms.

And then the millions of families unemployed worried about losing their home and feeding their families.

I'm sorry for being such a downer, but I feel so scared for everyone.

Last edited:
I have my annual December trip reservations already, too. But not a split Disney Cruise reservation.

I usually make Pop Century reservations at 490-months out if I know my plans since it is so difficult to obtain availability for all my nights with a wheelchair roll-in shower room lately.

I usually make DVC BWV resort reservations every January at 11-months out for the same reason, but I still had to waitlist and call every day to obtain the unavailable room type.

And now the SARS CoV 2 (COVID-19) issues.

Of course, I'm worried about catching SARS CoV 2 (COVID-19).

I was already bummed about no fireworks and parades and possible large shows at DHS and EPCOT.

I don't or can't physically enjoy many of the attraction rides like I used, too.

The only very sad advantage for me personally is that I no longer have any family at all.

That sounds weird, but especially during these long months of isolation because of SARS CoV 2 (COVID-19) an my age.

Plus I was going to plan my first Disney Cruise since the AllEars.Net Disney Cruise.

I am waiting on that.

Actually, I'm waiting for everything.

I'll probably have to swallow the $1,000.00, 4-day BWV rental that I made here.

I just have a nagging feeling that more and more adults and children are going to die if everything unexpectedly than is forecast.

Every month symptoms and age groups change or are added that catch and die from SARS CoV 2 (COVID-19).

First it was almost exclusively my age group and it still is.

Then a month later younger adults.

And now, recently, children's just awful symptoms.

And then the millions of families unemployed worried about losing their home and feeding their families.

I'm sorry for being such a downer, but I feel so scared for everyone.

I don't think you're being a downer, you're just being realistic. I think there will be a second wave and I think we'll see it this fall, although I hope I'm wrong. The closest comparison to covid is the Spanish flu in 1918. In total it lasted a year and there were three waves, with the second wave being worse than the first. Although I'm not sure how much worse it could be. I'm a nurse and I wear a mask everyday at work to protect others and myself. The last place I want to wear one is at Disney much as I love it. So I think I'll wait until next year and see how things are then.

We were supposed to go to Disneyland in a couple of weeks as part of our anniversary trip. We have Canadian discount tickets. I'm just thankful that they're now valid until December 2021. So Ray, you're not a downer. You're just concerned like the rest of us. We'll get there again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!