Dec.9-16 reviews: CRT, WCC, Chef Mickey's, Le Cellier, etc.

phisigprincess

<font color=red>Finally a vet!<br><font color=gree
Finally got around to sitting down and cranking out some dining reviews. :) I know how helpful they were in planning my trip, so I wanted to give you mine as well.

Cast:
Me :figment: 25, mildly picky eater, obsessed with the Mickey Rice Krispy Treats

DH :stitch: 27, eats anything and lots of it, very much a meat and potato guy

*Note: the TSs I know in chronological order. The CS I'll fit in where I remember*

Wolfgang Puck Express:
This was our first night in Disney. We were meeting a friend of mine in DTD, so we wanted to go somewhere nice, but still a counter service. WPE was amazing!!! Definitely our best CS of the trip. I got the Linguini with tomato, basil and garlic and DH got the BBQ Glazed Rotisserie Chicken. My linguini was great and totally filling. DH's chicken was sooo tender and the BBQ sauce was just right. For dessert I had the creme brulee and DH had the white chocolate chip macadamia nut cookie. My creme brulee was to die for. I had everyone helping me with it and we all agreed it was great. DH is a white chocolate chip macadamia nut cookie connoisseur - they're his favorite cookie and is very discriminating when it comes to them. Unfortunately he was less than impressed with this one. I tried some and it did seem to take on the flavor of the plastic a bit. Not so good.

Overall: A+

Tusker House
After hearing great things about the TH from the DIS and wanting more than your traditional CS food, we headed over. Another tasty CS. I had the Grilled Salmon with jollof rice and seasonal vegetables while DH had the Tusker House Chicken Salad tossed with balsamic vinaigrette dressing. We both had the cheesecake for dessert. My grilled salmon was very good for a CS meal and the veggies were sooooo tasty! DH's salad was good, but nothing special. The cheesecake was a great ending to the meal.

Overall: A

Cinderella's Royal Table
We went to CRT for my birthday. :) We got there a little early and they seated us immediately. We got a table overlooking Fantasyland, but unfortunately the crane that was up so the people could paint was blocking our view. :( At one point, workers in their dirty tshirts and jeans went walking past the window - it kinda ruined the magic for a moment. ;) We both got the traditional breakfast. My favorite part was the french toast! It was probably a million calories, but it was my birthday AND I was in Disney, so it didn't count. DH didn't think it would be enough food, but he was stuffed by the end. Our waitress was fantastic (I wish I could remember her name!) and brought me over a magical moments certificate, a birthday cake, and got our side of the restaurant to sing to me. It was very cute. The cake was a chocolate cake in a hard white icing - it kind of looked like a snowball. It was very good, but a little too much sweet for 9 a.m.! The food wasn't anything special, but the atmosphere lends itself to one of those "you have to do it once" places.

Overall: B+

Chef Mickey's
First of all, any breakfast buffet that has Rice Krispy Treats on it is already my idea of heaven. :) Chef Mickey's is a fun place for breakfast, but definitely busy and loud, so if you don't like that in the mornings stay away! We had great interaction with the characters and the napkin twirling made us and our new found Pittsburgh neighbors at the next table feel like we were at home twirling our Terrible Towels. :) I think I prefer the Crystal Palace for a character breakfast, but if you want to see the Big 4, this is the place to do it.

Overall: A (got bumped from a B+ because of the Krispy Treats)

Coral Reef
I've seen a lot of mixed reviews on the boards, but honestly, this was our best meal of the trip! The atmosphere can't be beat and for you Full House fans out there, you'll fondly remember Danny Tanner and Vicki eating there when the Tanners go to Disney. :) I started with the seafood and crab souffle served with creamy lobster sauce and DH had the creamy lobster soup. My souffle was fantastic. Very melt in your mouth and flavorful. DH's lobster soup was very good. Not the best he's had, but still good. For dinner I chose the Pan-seared Ahi Tuna with wasabi mashed potatoes and soy glaze, while DH had the Grilled NY Strip steak with potatoes au gratin and beef demi-glace. My tuna was soooo good! I wished I would have had it a little less well done, but that was my choice. The wasabi potatoes were to die for. DH thought his steak was very, very good and he got a good cut of meat. We finished with the Chocolate Wave and the cheesecake. The chocolate wave was as good as everyone says. I made room for that in my stomach!! DH enjoyed his cheesecake as well. Apparently this place can be pretty hit or miss, but we lucked out.

Overall: A+

Pop Century food court
Quick stop here before heading to the MK for the Keys to the Kingdom tour just so we wouldn't be famished all day. We got there right as it was opening and had to hurry up and eat. I got the chocolate chip pancakes and DH got the french toast. Really, nothing special here. Typical food court fare. DH said he never wanted to eat there again. I didn't mind it. My pancakes were a bit greasy, but not too bad.

Overall: C

Columbia Harbor House
This was included in the Keys to the Kingdom tour. We got a choice of the fried fish basket or fried chicken basket. I chose fish, DH chose chicken. Much like the Pop food court, this wasn't anything special. It hit the spot though because we were really hungry! Good for a quick meal I suppose!

Overall: C+

BRB with more.

Whispering Canyon Cafe
I was very excited to go to the WCC after all I've heard on the boards. I was not disappointed! We got there a 1/2 hour early (go Disney transportation!) and they seated us within a minute. We sat in the back room, so it was quieter than the main dining room. Deputy Doug was our server and he was awesome! We had so much fun with him! He gave us pages to color and told us we were in a coloring competition with the toddlers at the next table. So DH and I were coloring away. At the end of the meal he made us sign them and walked away with him. He found a big blank wall in the main dining room and just hung them there. People were probably impressed with our coloring skills. :) I started with the nachos. They were ok. We also had the milkshakes (both got vanilla) which were SO tasty, but absolutely filled us up and made us less hungry for dinner. I would warn against getting them for that reason. I chose the Grilled Chicken Pasta and DH got the Canyon Skillet. We were both so full we didn't eat too much, but both agreed that the food was pretty good. For dessert I had the Dust Bowl and DH got the Apple Pie. By that point we were lucky if we had 4 bites of them. They could have rolled us out of there. Right when I was about to pay my MIL called my cell phone. Deputy Doug comes over (and after the urging of my DH) takes my cell phone and starts up a conversation with her. Then he passed her to a few people around the restaurant. I was hysterical!! She thought it was funny too thank goodness! :) We had a great server, so I would absolutely recommend going to WCC.

Le Cellier
This was another one I was looking forward to. DH was especially pumped because it was a steakhouse. The pretzel bread is really tasty! But we had eaten a huge soft pretzel earlier, so we didn't need seconds. :) I had the cheddar cheese soup to start and DH had the Crab and Salmon Timbale. Honestly, I wasn't really into the soup. It was too thick for me or something. DH really enjoyed his Timbale though. For our entrees he chose the Mushroom Filet Mignon after the urging of our server and I chose the Seared King Salmon. Both were sooooo good!! He was in heaven over his filet and my salmon was really interesting when mixed with the bread and the corn. For dessert I went with the 3 types of sorbet (because that's all my stomach could handle) and DH had the s'mores. Some of the sorbet was a bit tart for me, but overall a good light dessert choice. DH wolfed down his s'more, so I'm guessing they were good too. :)

And now for random counter service I can't chronologically place. :)

Cosmic Rays
I shudder just thinking about this. This was one of those things you go into knowing it's a bad decision, but you do it anyway. We were in Tomorrowland. We were hungry. What choice did we have?? (Obviously we could have walked to another place, but we just didn't have the energy at that point) The food was as awful as I remember. The last time we were there was in 1993 and even being 11 I remember not liking it. I couldn't find docking bay 3, so I got the chili dog instead of the salad or wrap I had wanted. DH got a hamburger. Again, shudder, shudder, shudder. The grease and the fat, and ew. The desserts were tiny carrot cakes in a presealed package. I do NOT recommend stopping here even if it sounds like a good idea at the time.

Overall: big old EW.

Pizzafari
Nothing outstanding, but a great pit stop if you're in the mood for pizza. I've always enjoyed their pizzas too. We both got cheese pizza and apple pie for dessert. Can't complain!

Overall: B

ABC Commissary
Born out of neccessity to use a counter service, we stopped for breakfast. I was in a foul mood (not sure why) so that wasn't good going into it. I had a granola yogurt cup and I was cranky, so I don't think I paid attention to what DH got. I do know however, that we were the winners of the hour!! WOO! We got a free dessert. At 9 a.m. We got a pastry that was pretty decent, and hey, we were winners!! That brightened my mood considerably. As did a big cup of coffee. :)

Liberty Inn
I know, I know, out of all the places in the WS, I stop at America for CS. I knew we were going to Le Cellier for dinner that night, so I wanted something light. I just wanted a salad. So I found one in America. Here the Rice Krispy Treat counted as dessert! YEAH!!! Really, REALLY nothing special, but it was light and that's what I wanted.

Sommerfest
DH stopped here for lunch and got saurkraut and brautworst (sp!?!?). I don't like either of those, so I didn't try it, but he seemed to really enjoy it. I can't really grade it since I didn't eat it, but he didn't complain. :)

If you have any questions, just let me know!! Hope that helps someone!

Thanks for the reviews. Coral Reef has been getting some great reviews lately, I'm definitely adding it to my list for next trip!:thumbsup2

Thanks! I will definitely be trying WCC on a future trip...it sounded you had a blast. I would also request Deputy Doug as a server! I love when CMs love their job!

Awesome reviews thank you,

HOWEVER the fact that you remember where the Tanners ate from Full House just scares me soooooooo much:scared1:

Enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.

Awesome reviews thank you,

HOWEVER the fact that you remember where the Tanners ate from Full House just scares me soooooooo much:scared1:

Even scarier? My sister and I always take a picture sitting on the fountain in Germany because Danny and Vicki sat there before the Oompa band came along. :) In all honesty, I think it scared my husband too. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter