December 2018 car rental thread

Dollar rental down again 9 bucks!!!
146.04 Managers Special Dec 5-14

I was really hesitant about following through with a rental considering how high prices were up until now. Glad I decided to play the game, it seems agencies are down significantly but Dollar is the best rate thus far.

Trying to decide on jumping to using Autoslash. Sounds straight forward. Would save me another $20 or so, but have never used them.
My quote was also with Dollar. What are some of the fine print pros and cons?

They run the search but you end up booking with a provider like, in my case, Priceline.com. My example is fully cancelable. I haven’t beaten this quote yet but will keep trying!

I got another $30 off my full size SUV, down from an initial $700-ish early in the summer to $368 for 12/8 to 12/16 using Costco and $25 coupon. BUT this is the first time I was asked for my Costco number and last name. Looks like Alamo getting savvy about 'member' codes.

I got another $30 off my full size SUV, down from an initial $700-ish early in the summer to $368 for 12/8 to 12/16 using Costco and $25 coupon. BUT this is the first time I was asked for my Costco number and last name. Looks like Alamo getting savvy about 'member' codes.

There's been a place on the Alamo site for entering the member code when using the Costco contract ID for quite some time (at least 1.5 years)...whether it was required or not, I'm not sure.

There's been a place on the Alamo site for entering the member code when using the Costco contract ID for quite some time (at least 1.5 years)...whether it was required or not, I'm not sure.
Not the contract code but my Costco member id off my membership card.

Not the contract code but my Costco member id off my membership card.

Richmo was saying that there has been a place for entering your Costco Member ID for a while. I've been entering it for at least a year. :flower3:

FYI, my Alamo reservation is now beating my Dollar reservation for same size SUV. I am now under $200 which was my goal!:yay:

We are now at the 2 week mark. I checked Alamo again this morning and now the rental is down to 164.20. I am much happier and can live with that but will happily keep on checking till the day before we leave.

I am so jealous if everyone’s rate going down. Mine just keeps going WAY UP for 12/20-1/1! :sad2:
Yeah, same here for my trip 12/22 - 1/1. Checked sales for black Friday and cyber Monday but even the "sale" prices were way higher than what I already booked a while ago. I don't think it's going to get any better for those of us going for Christmas week.

Using AAA discount, Hertz now edges out my Alamo rental: 3 days (Dec 14-17), Standard, base $77.73/total $112.05.

Just a reminder: once you get inside 2 or 3 weeks, Hertz rates often drop quite a bit, especially if you can combine with a AAA or similar discount. There's also coupons to be had (I could not use any this time). If you sign up for the free #1 gold club, the experience is very similar to Alamo - just go out to the aisle (they'll email you which one a day or two ahead) and pick out a car. No need for the counter. Worth at least a look...

Thank you for everyone adding promo rates to check out. I am thrilled with me $120 after fee rate for my week long rental. Can't wait to visit my daughter at EPCOT! Have a great December vacation everyone! :love::santa:

Autoslash is the way to go. I just got a midsize for 2 weeks Dec 15 - 29 through Alamo picking up in Tampa and returning to Orlando for $376 inc taxes. The going Costco rate is over $1300. I have checked in online with Alamo already and got my skip the counter printout so can go straight to pick out a vehicle when arrive in Tampa.

So yesterday I checked my dates and was happy to find that my rate went down to 161.45 for a full size out of Sanford starting on 12/12. I decided to check just now and was pleasantly surprised to see that now it has come down to 155.24.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!