December- Clothing? Swimming?

Linleedo

DIS Veteran
We've never been to Disney World in December. What can we expect? I've read the average temperatures are 70s during the day and 50s at night. What do people wear in the parks for comfort in that weather? Should we layer? Just trying to figure out what to pack. Is swimming a reality? Thanks for your help. We've always gone was it was so hot! Even in September, we've had salt marks on our shirts! We are tiired of extreme heat and humidity and trying something new.

I've never been at this time, but we'll be there 11/27-12/8. Looking at historical temps and what I've researched, I think we'll be comfortable during the day in short sleeves and shorts...but, I am taking several long sleeve shirts that I can tie around my waist for those chilly mornings and evenings. I'm also taking a couple pairs of leggings and a sweatshirt, just in case.

Also, we plan to swim. The pools are heated and I hear a lot of people swim. I'd rather have the suits than wish I had.

Hope you get more responses from people with experience!

I'm not sure when in Dec you are coming or where you are coming from. I'm a 21 year transplant from SE PA that lives 90 miles west of WDW. December can actually be a mixed bag. I'd probably like in it to early March up north. I've had early Decembers with my AC on (the past 2 actually) and others that caused me to wear a coat.
You typically will not see FL people swimming but WDW pools are heated to 84 degrees year round. Early December will be warmer than late December. Most days will be in the 70's to high 60's and evenings will probably require a jacket. FL people will be in long pants. Mid western and severe northern folks will be in shorts and we'll think you are all crazy. LOL
It is typically dry so no pop up storms. If it's going to rain, it will probably be a good portion of the day.
We are predicted to have a cooler/wetter winter this year so layers will work.

Regardless of the temps, please wear sunscreen. The sun is much stronger here unless you are from the deep south, you will burn. Even in December.
Check the weather no less than 10 days before you leave to figure on packing but plan on a plethora of layers. So shorts to sweatshirts should cover it. ;-)

DW and I have made many December trips to WDW and now snowbird near there. We have encountered quite a wide range of conditions. Last December was, if I recall, quite warm. But I also remember Disney visits where we enjoyed low temperatures in the 30's. In addition to checking the average hi/lo temperatures, look into the record high and record lows for the dates you will be there. For instance on Dec 6th, the average hi/lo is 75/54F but the record low is 31F! Add a bit of a northwest breeze and that makes for a chilly wait for the rope to drop. On the other hand the record high is a balmy, get out the swimwear 84F.

My suggestion is to pack one outfit for each extreme and have a few things you can layer for the transition days.
Wishing you a pixiedust: visit!

We go in December most trips. All I can say is pack for any sort of weather, even if you only bring a jacket. We're planning on bringing jackets to the parks and stowing them in the lockers in case we need them. On our 2015 trip only one night was cold enough for them, but in another trip the entire week was cold.

We go in December most trips. All I can say is pack for any sort of weather, even if you only bring a jacket. We're planning on bringing jackets to the parks and stowing them in the lockers in case we need them. On our 2015 trip only one night was cold enough for them, but in another trip the entire week was cold.

I like the video.

We went a number of years ago. The first night the kids were swimming. The nest few days the temps were in the 40s..

Now in '93 my now wife and iI went to DW in March. We had temps in the 30s.

Watch weather forecasts and plan on layers.

We usually prefer November and December for WDW trips. We were there 1st week of December last year, and will be back for the first part of the month this year as well. As others have said it really is mixed. Last year it was in the 80s during the day, but around 7-8pm it was chilly. We mostly wore shorts but would layer tops with a sweater or zip up for early in the morning and later in the evening. It depends of course, but we’ve been able to swim in the past, and we’re able to almost every day this past year (just not at night, although many people still did!).

We have many photos of Christmas trips. I was looking at them today. One day - the kids are in shorts and camis. The next day they are in coats. Bring layers.

On a single trip we have gone from shorts at tanks to multiple layers of fleece. We have had Dec trips where we had to buy extra short sleeve shirts because it was over 85-95 every day and others where we left the parks early because it was in the 40s with high winds. Layers are usually best, but pack for everything. I wear shorts for most days of trips March-Oct, but usually jeans in Dec and Jan.

I've been in the pool in November, but it was a bit cool for me. The kids stayed longer, but they were also cold before too long. We ended up sitting around the pool in towels to enjoy the sunshine. I think we only did the pool one day that trip. In December and February we haven't done the pool at all.

This will be our 8th December trip and we always go in the pool and to the water parks (except 2010 when it was frosty!). We go for 17 days and its usually pool weather at least 14 days of them IMHO, but we come from the UK so it feels warm to us but I appreciate it may not feel hot to othersfrom warmer climates.

Last edited:
I missed the first part of your question the first time around. For park attire, we usually will wear shorts/capris and short sleeves and carry a light jacket for evenings in our backpacks for myself and the kids (DH seems fine with short sleeves most of the time). That time of year we are usually traveling in jeans/pants, and we might wear those in the park if the weather is unusually cool; but we don't pack additional long pants unless the forecast at the last minute indicates we'd need them. For the kids we may take an extra pair of athletic-type pants so they have some thinner options with long coverage.

I was there the first week of January last year and we wore shorts and tanks every day. Take a sweatshirt for the evenings. We also swam most days, the pools are heated to 82 degrees so you can always swim, it just might be a little chilly getting out!

The weather can be anywhere. We go for Christmas every year. Most of the time it is shorts weather. Some nights we need a hoodie. We usually swim on Christmas Day.

The weather can be tricky. I was just there at the Oct-Nov. and it was in the 50s the first two days of my vacation - for a high! It was warmer at home in Rhode Island. Everyone was wearing pants and jackets. Last year during this time, it was in the 90s!

I wore shorts with a sweatshirt and froze a little in the a.m. until it warmed up. Then, in the evening going back to the parks, I would put on thin pants and the sweatshirt. By the time I left Disney, it was back in the 80s and everyone was wearing shorts and t-shirts again. I've been there in December before where 1 year it's freezing and we're wearing jackets and gloves and the next year it's in the 70s and 80s and we're swimming in the afternoons. I wouldn't go overboard with the cold weather clothes but you definitely want to have options.

Thank you for all of the advice! I appreciate it. It seems like I'll need to pack a variety and think about layers.

Not familiar with December, but as a child we went to Florida in February frequently. I can remember years spent in shorts with lots of pool and beach time. I can remember one year, not sure what year, that I wore a coat the whole time. Florida weather in the winter can be ANYTHING.

I might have missed it but where are you coming from? We're from Canada and love coming in December, it's usually quieter the beginning to middle because of how close to thanksgiving and Christmas it is and generally when we leave it's minus -25 Celsius so when it's 20 Celsius we love it. We've swam every December we've been and have went to the water parks as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!