December cruise to Caribbean/Bahamas, weather concerns?

busy mom

Mouseketeer
Should we be concerned with tropical storms in December?

While I understand that weather cannot be predicted, I'm not sure if this is a "normal" season for such storms?

Last edited:
Hurricane season ends November 30. You'll be fine. It could potentially be cold depending on any cold fronts from the north.

You *should* be ok. While hurricane season officially ends November 30, it's not like someone flips a switch. While not likely, there could always be a storm that blows up.

More concerning would be the potential of snow/winter weather causing issues with flights to and/or from the port.

December is one of our favorite times to cruise. I usually find the ocean a little cool for a swim. However, weather is generally not too bad.

Should we be concerned with tropical storms in December?

While I understand that weather cannot be predicted, I'm not sure if this is a "normal" season for such storms?

As a longtime Floridian, I agree with PP that hurricane season is officially over by December and the dry season of winter begins. Though there is no "switch" turned off and with weather I guess almost anything is possible, but one would be hard-pressed to find a storm of any significance in December.

We have sailed the first week of December for Caribbean cruises several times and the weather was fabulous in the Caribbean. Only 1 time was FL having a very unusual cold front during any of those cruises, which made it chilly when we boarded and for about 1 day, but then our weather was glorious.

Yes, we CAN get cold weather (relatively speaking, FL isn't Michigan. LOL) in December but we also can get hot weather. My first Christmas here it was 84 degrees Christmas Day and my kids went swimming in the neighborhood pool! :cutie: December weather in Fl is generally gorgeous and mild.

The year that Katrina and Wilma hit, we cruised in early December. Key West was still recovering - you could still see the aftermath - and we had to go to Costa Maya instead of Cozumel because the port had been damaged. It was a very active year and there were tropical storms and proto-storms brewing out farther to sea but nothing that came even close to land or the ship. I think that's pretty common even in years with a lot of activity. Wasn't even a problem with rough waters while at sea or at least nothing that even remotely impressed itself upon me. It's definitely possible to be cooler on CC in December regardless of that and we've found that a number of activities do get cancelled due to high winds (e.g., parasailing) but it usually only affects the smaller water craft that they use for such excursions. We've still been able to snorkel close to shore and spend time in the water.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter