December Galaxys Edge Trip stressed

RachelRosette

Earning My Ears
So I just booked my trip starting December 12th a few weeks ago and now Disney just gave the date for the rise of the resistance opening and it’s the week before my trip starts. I absolutely love Star Wars and hope to ride it but I’m really feeling the stress now about the crowd level. I already knew it would be be busy because of the holiday crowd and was nervous but now I can’t imagine how insanely busy it will be while I’m there. Any tips (it’s only my second time ever going to Disney) or even just kind words so I can chill a bit would be appreciated ahaha

First :welcome:
Second: no need to stress or freak out. You have your expectations in the right place, you know it will be busy, with the added announcement it might be busier because of it.
A couple of things. That week in December used to be slow-ish, many people plan their trip for the Christtmas/New Years weeks. So being that RotR will be open by then I think people will not change their plans to go earlier. Some might plan to go just for RotR and that will impact SWGE and DHS but the other parks should remain around the same crowd level or slightly higher.
So I would plan on going to DHS very early, maybe even take advantage of EMH day if you are staying on property. You will have a week worth of first hand accounts so you will be more prepared.

I feel the same, except mine is compounded by the fact that I also had a trip scheduled for September, which I have moved back to August. I can’t really move the December trip, so it’s either cancel altogether or plan on a lot more resort time when the crowds get overwhelming. Disney has really messed with me this year :( If I go, I will not be going to the Studios. I will spend my time in the other parks.

We have a surprise birthday trip planned Nov 30th - Dec 7th. I already have our HS days scheduled for the 4th and 5th. I am not sure if i am excited or terrified. We will just go with the flow and make the best of it. I am hoping they will have emh or even a paid event to help with the crowds.
Id definitely be feeling excited and terrified if I was you! Good luck I hope everything goes smoothly for you!

Last edited:
First :welcome:
Second: no need to stress or freak out. You have your expectations in the right place, you know it will be busy, with the added announcement it might be busier because of it.
A couple of things. That week in December used to be slow-ish, many people plan their trip for the Christtmas/New Years weeks. So being that RotR will be open by then I think people will not change their plans to go earlier. Some might plan to go just for RotR and that will impact SWGE and DHS but the other parks should remain around the same crowd level or slightly higher.
So I would plan on going to DHS very early, maybe even take advantage of EMH day if you are staying on property. You will have a week worth of first hand accounts so you will be more prepared.
Thank you so much! There’s really no way to predict just how busy it will be so I’m going to try to chill! If I can’t ride RotR this time it’s not the end of the world I’m still gonna have a blast.

Thank you so much! There’s really no way to predict just how busy it will be so I’m going to try to chill! If I can’t ride RotR this time it’s not the end of the world I’m still gonna have a blast.
that's the best way to approach it. Enjoy your trip

We have a surprise birthday trip planned Nov 30th - Dec 7th. I already have our HS days scheduled for the 4th and 5th. I am not sure if i am excited or terrified. We will just go with the flow and make the best of it. I am hoping they will have emh or even a paid event to help with the crowds.

Are you me? Those are the exact dates I’ll be at DW and those days are the ones I already had reserved for Galaxy’s Edge and HS. It’s also a birthday trip for me....oh no, are you throwing me a surprise bday trip?!?!

In all seriousness, I’m in the same boat as you. Super excited but also terrified. I figure my strategy will be to do all the things on the 4th and save just riding RotR for the 5th. That’s my current strategy!

Here I am panicking about Galaxy's Edge crowds when we will be down (Jan 4-11).. I guess I should be thankful at least a few weeks are passing before we arrive.

My advice is to plan a half day at HS and book a relaxing dinner ADR in Disney Springs for that same evening. Have a glass of wine and chill after battling crowds during the day.

Are you me? Those are the exact dates I’ll be at DW and those days are the ones I already had reserved for Galaxy’s Edge and HS. It’s also a birthday trip for me....oh no, are you throwing me a surprise bday trip?!?!

In all seriousness, I’m in the same boat as you. Super excited but also terrified. I figure my strategy will be to do all the things on the 4th and save just riding RotR for the 5th. That’s my current strategy!
Are you both me? It is my birthday trip that week as well. Have been anxiously watching hoping that ROTR would not open til 2020 but here we are...my strategy is going to be flexible...I am a huge Star Wars fan but hate crowds so if I can see it and ride it, I will...but not making a huge effort. We have not been to Toy story land, so plan is to focus on that if everything is a tier one and then hop to another park if the crowds are too much. Happy birthday my fellow Sagittarius!

Are you both me? It is my birthday trip that week as well. Have been anxiously watching hoping that ROTR would not open til 2020 but here we are...my strategy is going to be flexible...I am a huge Star Wars fan but hate crowds so if I can see it and ride it, I will...but not making a huge effort. We have not been to Toy story land, so plan is to focus on that if everything is a tier one and then hop to another park if the crowds are too much. Happy birthday my fellow Sagittarius!

Happy birthday! The partner and I are huge Star Wars fans so we’re going to try our best to get on RotR, though now I’m thinking of visiting on the 4th to do all the things, skipping opening day, and then going to ride RotR on the 6th.

But yeah this threw a real wrench into the nearly final itinerary I had created!

that's the best way to approach it. Enjoy your trip

We have a week starting 12/06 🤢🤮😡🤬 We normally go this week each year, if we were not renting DVC points we would cancel and book for Mid Jan or late Feb.

We had planned one and a half days for DHS, gonna drop it to 1/2 just to catch the holiday nighttime show.

We’ll be there Nov 29 (late night arrival) through Dec 7, too! It’s to celebrate our 35th anniversary (which is actually in October) and hubs’ bday, which is on Nov 30! Looks like we’re in pretty much the same boat😬 I have HS planned for the 3rd though. The 5th and 6th are our less planned, more spontaneous park hopping days to catch stuff we missed and repeat our favorites. Happy Birthday to y’all, and good luck to us all!!

We’ll be there Nov 29 (late night arrival) through Dec 7, too! It’s to celebrate our 35th anniversary (which is actually in October) and hubs’ bday, which is on Nov 30! Looks like we’re in pretty much the same boat😬 I have HS planned for the 3rd though. The 5th and 6th are our less planned, more spontaneous park hopping days to catch stuff we missed and repeat our favorites. Happy Birthday to y’all, and good luck to us all!!

No. My dad and I are planning our visit to DHS for Dec 3rd as well. Hopefully not too many have the same idea (which I'm sure "everyone does")

Add me to the list! I'm also there for a belated birthday celebration from Dec. 2-9th. We had already pre-planned our HS days to be the 2nd and the 5th, so when they announced RotR opening on the 5th, I had mixed feelings as well. It's a strange week, because MK closes early almost every single day that week, so Wednesday as our MK day is pretty much set in stone. I don't think moving our second HS day to later in the trip is going to help much either. The 5th is a Thursday, and Friday/weekend days would surely attract more crowds.

I'm really hoping that they extend the EMM hours at HS to a 6-9AM opening, so that if we can't do anything in GE, then at least the rest of the park might be less crowded?

We booked our trip back in January when the hotel rates were much cheaper, before the opening of the Gondola and SWGE was announced. Right now it looks like there's nothing left in any of the Value resorts except AoA at $445/night! So while I may have thought back when we booked that crowds would be low, I'm almost certain now that they won't be...at least not in HS.

Add me to the list! I'm also there for a belated birthday celebration from Dec. 2-9th. We had already pre-planned our HS days to be the 2nd and the 5th, so when they announced RotR opening on the 5th, I had mixed feelings as well. It's a strange week, because MK closes early almost every single day that week, so Wednesday as our MK day is pretty much set in stone. I don't think moving our second HS day to later in the trip is going to help much either. The 5th is a Thursday, and Friday/weekend days would surely attract more crowds.

I'm really hoping that they extend the EMM hours at HS to a 6-9AM opening, so that if we can't do anything in GE, then at least the rest of the park might be less crowded?

We booked our trip back in January when the hotel rates were much cheaper, before the opening of the Gondola and SWGE was announced. Right now it looks like there's nothing left in any of the Value resorts except AoA at $445/night! So while I may have thought back when we booked that crowds would be low, I'm almost certain now that they won't be...at least not in HS.
But they’ll probably completely jack up the hours. I bet they extend the EEMH

Are all three of you my kid? I'm taking the family those exact dates with my littlest guy's golden birthday on the 4th. And we were going to go to DHS on the 5th, that may change. Or I will get up early and go to the park and they can join me whenever they get up, I'm sure my wife will love that.

We're also there for a birthday trip, but our birthday (my son turns 10) is the 15th. It's killing me that there is no planning for this :(:(

I completely understand. I’ve been reorganizing our schedule to accommodate and I’m still not sure what the best strategy is. Currently we plan on visiting GE and HS on the 3rd and I’ve left the 5th open (resort day) and the morning of the 6th fairly flexible.

I really hope they keep the 6-9am extended magic hours! That would give us more time to plan other things for the later afternoons and evenings at least.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts