December Galaxys Edge Trip stressed

Also slotted to visit HS on 12/5. We had no plans to visit GE (even though DH is DYING to see it) until our 2020 trip.
I don't feel like trying to rearrange the few reservations I have so we're just going to leave it as is and hope wait times in toy story land are low first thing in reponse to ROTR opening haha! We didn't have major plans for HS anyway so if we can get in and out by noon time and have a resort day the rest of the day I would be happy happy!

I completely understand. I’ve been reorganizing our schedule to accommodate and I’m still not sure what the best strategy is. Currently we plan on visiting GE and HS on the 3rd and I’ve left the 5th open (resort day) and the morning of the 6th fairly flexible.

I really hope they keep the 6-9am extended magic hours! That would give us more time to plan other things for the later afternoons and evenings at least.

We're offsite. Husband's decision. And I just found out about free dining this morning. I could kick myself :scared:

I’m in the same boat, and am feeling the same about it. Except my trip starts on December 7th, only a couple days after RotR opens. I had already set up my HS days so they are flexible and I can swap to another park if the crowds don’t look good. I’m hoping for the Disneyland experience with the crazy crowds staying away or being managed, but I’m planning for Pandora crowds.

I’m in the same boat, and am feeling the same about it. Except my trip starts on December 7th, only a couple days after RotR opens. I had already set up my HS days so they are flexible and I can swap to another park if the crowds don’t look good. I’m hoping for the Disneyland experience with the crazy crowds staying away or being managed, but I’m planning for Pandora crowds.

I went back and looked at ride times on Pandora opening day and looks like it didn't affect other rides much-- and it was Saturday of Memorial Day Weekend. Hoping it'll be similar for this and not have much affect on our plans.

We're offsite. Husband's decision. And I just found out about free dining this morning. I could kick myself :scared:
To be honest your prolly still saving money . With free dining you pay rack rate on rooms. And it's usally not a huge money savings. So don't kick yourself :)

My daughter's birthday is December 6th and we are staying Dec. 6-Dec. 14 at OKW and BCV renting points. We also help that they have the Extra, Extra Magic Hours. We are planning two mornings and two evenings at DHS. We love Star Wars and are excited to see the entire land in operation. My wife and I were talking about a 6 am opening all week and it said it made her head hurt thinking about it. We did a rope drop at AK for Flight of Passage last May with 8 am EMH (getting up at 5:45 to be there at 6:45), The thought of a 4:30 am rise and shine is daunting, but I'll do it.

I am planning my first trip back in five years and it is over the New Year's holiday. I did not pick the week but I will be there December 30 - January 3rd. I was already worried about the huge crowds just because it is New Year's and I knew Stars Wars was opening in Auguest. I was just hoping to get a look at the new area, but now that the big Star Wars ride is opening earlier in December, I just do not see that I have a chance at getting to ride it or even get into the area with out waiting half a day in a line. I really hope they create a virtual queue for the area/ride. Who knows when I will get back? Ugg!

Welcome to my September world LOL
We go every year the week after Labor Day and I was so happy I would be missing the opening. I don't even like Star Wars but I have a day booked in the middle of my trip at BWVs to I can walk there for 4:30-4:45 am and try to get on the attraction and then do TSL. Booked one FP and saving the rest for Epcot that evening

We have a surprise birthday trip planned Nov 30th - Dec 7th. I already have our HS days scheduled for the 4th and 5th. I am not sure if i am excited or terrified. We will just go with the flow and make the best of it. I am hoping they will have emh or even a paid event to help with the crowds.
We share dates. Im considering just going to HS that Mon and Tues and skipping the additional opening all together

We share dates. Im considering just going to HS that Mon and Tues and skipping the additional opening all together

I’m going to take a wait-and-see approach. Right now, there’s too many unknowns as to how crowds will be handled. Will they add Fastpasses, scheduled visit times, Extra Hours in the mornings and evenings, a combination of solutions? We may not hear much news until a month or so after SWGE opens. I had Dec. 2nd (evening only as that’s the day we get in) and 5th scheduled as our HS days. Part of me really wants to get on to RotR, but if we can’t, I think the silver lining is that the rest of the park might be dead that day. Even the rest of SWGE and the Smuggler’s Run ride could be empty and a great time to visit while everyone’s in line for the new ride.

Now I know this isn’t exactly an apples-to-apples comparison, but we went to Pandora the year it opened, but a few months later in the Fall. Everyone rushed to FoP while we enjoyed the rest of the land, and went on multiple rides on NRJ and EE all in the first hour of opening. I’m hoping it’ll be the same in HS for all of us going that week! :)

THANK YOU to all of you who plan to wait patiently for more information. You are inspiring. I will do my best to follow your lead. Not that anyone has a choice, but hearing "It will all be okay" is lowering my stress level. :music:

We originally scheduled our vacation to begin on Dec. 5. Then changed our minds (college schedules!!) and moved it to Jan. 5 - all before I knew anything about SWGE dates. This was supposed to be a short trip to see the new Fireworks show at Epcot, and a relaxing few days not worrying about seeing everything - just enjoying WDW. Usually, we go in mid-to-late January, September, or the first two weeks in December and avoid the biggest crowds. We always plan carefully (many thanks to the DIS!!) and we haven't been in a line longer than 30 minutes for years...So while we were already bracing and planning for more crowding that we are used to, I just didn't give much thought to SWGE planning.

Unfortunately, my sons are now pestering me daily about how we can get to see SWGE and go on both rides while we are there. There goes our plan for a laid-back experience...well, as laid back as it gets at WDW.

What I want to avoid is unrealistic expectations. So I'm planning on huge crowds and long lines. At the moment, without any more information, our plan will be to arrive 1.5-2 hours before opening time at HS and hope to get on at least one of the rides with less than a 2 hour wait. Depending on how that goes, we may do two mornings at HS and go to a different park in the afternoons.

As long as we expect, and are prepared for, long waits in line, we can still make the whole experience fun.

I will be anxiously awaiting more announcements and hearing from people who have been there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter