December Saturday strategies

Some of my favorite spots to chill out:
Harbour Galley next to Rivers of America
upper level table near the water at Hungry Bear
sitting on a park bench just about anywhere and people watching
sitting outside at a table at Flo's V-8 Cafe and watching the cars on RSR race by
anywhere at the French Market, even better if the jazz band is playing while you're sitting there
Great Moments with Mr Lincoln
GCH lobby
Great, thanks!

Thank you, but I don't qualify.
Which actually works out fine because DAS would only help you with waiting in ride lines (i.e. allowing you to wait somewhere outside the line) -- but you would still have to deal with the crowds outside the ride lines while you were waiting -- so there would still be a need to have a list of quiet places to go. With ride lines, at least you would be waiting with your family, so the immediate crowd around you would all be familiar faces. And, if you find that you need more space in a ride line, ask your family to make a bubble around you (i.e. standing farther apart around you to make more space for you and to protect you from others crowding in). Then you could listen to something relaxing while having a bit more space while waiting.

Saturday, December 7th
This could be good or bad. I've gone the first weekend of December twice. Once was so bad I didn't visit again for a couple years. I didn't know about candlelight processional and it was impossible to walk down main street after we entered the park in the evening. The other areas of the park weren't that bad, but for someone who doesn't like crowds - do not enter through the front gate if this is going on and you are returning to the park in evening. Take the monorail from downtown Disney and it will let you out in Tomorrowland.

The other time I visited that weekend, it wasn't candleight processional and I was solo. I had a great time. I was able to get a seat on a step for the parade about 15 minutes before the parade. Being solo it was easy to get around and do whatever I wanted.
Do you think leaving the park and visiting a quiet corner of a hotel lobby or off-site spot somewhere for a little while would be possible that afternoon, or would I be unable to return?
If the parks are busy, everything else tends to be busy. I do like to escape to the hotel bars. Sometimes, I just find a quiet corner somewhere and eat a popcorn or something. It's normally pretty easy to find a spot to chill out when it's only one person.
My other question is in regards to MaxPass – I expect a MaxPass makes sense for me to manage the solo parts of my day. It comes with a photo pass, right?
It comes with photopass, yes. The other thing is that if you are riding solo, you can use the single rider entrance on several rides. If you find a ride that you seem to feel comfortable on (some of them are my chill out places), you can keep riding over and over.

This could be good or bad. I've gone the first weekend of December twice. Once was so bad I didn't visit again for a couple years. I didn't know about candlelight processional and it was impossible to walk down main street after we entered the park in the evening. The other areas of the park weren't that bad, but for someone who doesn't like crowds - do not enter through the front gate if this is going on and you are returning to the park in evening. Take the monorail from downtown Disney and it will let you out in Tomorrowland.

The other time I visited that weekend, it wasn't candleight processional and I was solo. I had a great time. I was able to get a seat on a step for the parade about 15 minutes before the parade. Being solo it was easy to get around and do whatever I wanted.
If the parks are busy, everything else tends to be busy. I do like to escape to the hotel bars. Sometimes, I just find a quiet corner somewhere and eat a popcorn or something. It's normally pretty easy to find a spot to chill out when it's only one person.

It comes with photopass, yes. The other thing is that if you are riding solo, you can use the single rider entrance on several rides. If you find a ride that you seem to feel comfortable on (some of them are my chill out places), you can keep riding over and over.
Thanks for the input! I have found solo rider line helpful in the past, so I'll keep that in mind, and definitely plan to ride the monorail in/out if I leave during evening times.

Which actually works out fine because DAS would only help you with waiting in ride lines (i.e. allowing you to wait somewhere outside the line) -- but you would still have to deal with the crowds outside the ride lines while you were waiting -- so there would still be a need to have a list of quiet places to go. With ride lines, at least you would be waiting with your family, so the immediate crowd around you would all be familiar faces. And, if you find that you need more space in a ride line, ask your family to make a bubble around you (i.e. standing farther apart around you to make more space for you and to protect you from others crowding in). Then you could listen to something relaxing while having a bit more space while waiting.
Thank you for the details - you've been very helpful, and I appreciate it!

One more thing: CP gets a lot of negative press from people who don't like the crowds in Town Square and on that end of Main Street (it doesn't really affect the Hub end of MS that much), but if you enjoy Christmas music at all, CP is lovely to watch and listen to. If you can find a spot somewhere along the lower end of MS, maybe inside a doorway or at a table outside at Carnation Cafe (make a reservation for this) or in the Tour Garden if it's open?, where you can still hear the music, you might really enjoy listening to the choirs and orchestra. You can find YouTube videos of last year's CP (make sure the video is from DL, not WDW) to get an idea whether this might be something you'd like to hear.

Last edited:
One more thing: CP gets a lot of negative press from people who don't like the crowds in Town Square and on that end of Main Street (it doesn't really affect the Hub end of MS that much), but if you enjoy Christmas music at all, CP is lovely to watch and listen to. If you can find a spot somewhere along the lower end of MS, maybe inside a doorway or at a table outside at Carnation Cafe (make a reservation for this) or in the Tour Garden if it's open?, where you can still hear the music, you might really enjoy listening to the choirs and orchestra. You can find YouTube videos of last year's CP (make sure the video is from DL, not WDW) to get an idea whether this might be something you'd like to hear.
Thank you for the tip! I do love reverent Christmas music, and I think the whole family might enjoy this. I'll look into it.

Information about CP:

Candlelight Processional with Chris Pratt - photos and audio Saturday 5:30 showing -- a report about last year's CP

If your whole family wants to view CP, then some planning will have to go into this. The standby viewing areas get very crowded, especially for the first show. If you don't care too much about your view, but care more about hearing the show, try to get spots in the last row of a section by the rope. (And have your family make a bubble around you.) That way you'll be able to exit easily if you feel the need. It isn't nearly as hard to get spots for the second show -- you just have to be ready to line up on Main Street as soon as the first show starts. (So you get the added perk of listening to the show twice!)

I have been attending the Candlelight Processional for years now, always getting there early to try to see my friend who sings in the Processional.

I've written plenty of Trip Reports about our days at the park during Candlelight. You might be able to gleam some information from it.
http://flowerstales.blogspot.com/search?q=candlelight

I also put together this map a few years ago about where you can sit.
Candlelight2014-seats-100.jpg

Regarding the second showing. As soon as the Processional Passes down Main Street for the first show, the queues go up on Main Street for the second show. They fill up pretty quickly, so if you are thinking the second show is for you, you'll need to be in that area before the first show starts. Cast members will completely clear out the viewing area after the first show before ushering people in.

Last edited:
Information about CP:

Candlelight Processional with Chris Pratt - photos and audio Saturday 5:30 showing -- a report about last year's CP

If your whole family wants to view CP, then some planning will have to go into this. The standby viewing areas get very crowded, especially for the first show. If you don't care too much about your view, but care more about hearing the show, try to get spots in the last row of a section by the rope. (And have your family make a bubble around you.) That way you'll be able to exit easily if you feel the need. It isn't nearly as hard to get spots for the second show -- you just have to be ready to line up on Main Street as soon as the first show starts. (So you get the added perk of listening to the show twice!)
Thank you!

I said I would check back in, so here I am! There were a LOT of people at the park this weekend- more than when I went in December years ago! But we still managed to find some quiet places to recharge. I noticed that the inside tables at a few of the 'open', self seated type restaurants (like Rancho del Zocalo and Red Rose Taverne) were very quiet before and after the usual lunch and dinner hours. I also noticed that areas that sometimes have character experiences, like Snow White's Grotto and Pixie Hollow, were super quiet and empty when the characters were not there- Pixie Hollow, especially, felt so magical when it was just us! I also have always noticed the little lanes in New Orleans Square behind Pirates are just never that crowded- this was true 20 years ago, 10 years ago, still true now! I will second the 'Great Moments with Lincoln' idea- it was near empty, nice and cool, and the chairs are super comfortable! The museum area around it was very chill as well.

There are a lot of people that ride the train around the park, but they are constantly shifting on and off and doing their own thing. If you don't mind that, looping around the park turned out to be the best recharge for my very introverted daughter. We did all of the things listed above and they helped a lot- but just circling the park once or twice on the train was her favorite way to rest up for the next big thing.

I hope that was helpful and again, best wishes on whatever you decide :)

I said I would check back in, so here I am! There were a LOT of people at the park this weekend- more than when I went in December years ago! But we still managed to find some quiet places to recharge. I noticed that the inside tables at a few of the 'open', self seated type restaurants (like Rancho del Zocalo and Red Rose Taverne) were very quiet before and after the usual lunch and dinner hours. I also noticed that areas that sometimes have character experiences, like Snow White's Grotto and Pixie Hollow, were super quiet and empty when the characters were not there- Pixie Hollow, especially, felt so magical when it was just us! I also have always noticed the little lanes in New Orleans Square behind Pirates are just never that crowded- this was true 20 years ago, 10 years ago, still true now! I will second the 'Great Moments with Lincoln' idea- it was near empty, nice and cool, and the chairs are super comfortable! The museum area around it was very chill as well.

There are a lot of people that ride the train around the park, but they are constantly shifting on and off and doing their own thing. If you don't mind that, looping around the park turned out to be the best recharge for my very introverted daughter. We did all of the things listed above and they helped a lot- but just circling the park once or twice on the train was her favorite way to rest up for the next big thing.

I hope that was helpful and again, best wishes on whatever you decide :)
Thanks so much!

I had a successful trip to Disneyland yesterday, and I wanted to thank you for helping me! I carried weather protection, maintained hydration, and made healthy food choices, and it was good.

I started the morning at a fast food restaurant near home with coffee, an egg, sausage, and hash browns. Took Lyft to avoid the parking hassle. Security was easy, and I had time to rest before park opening.

My family was delayed, so I meandered up Main Street alone to see the decor (I’ve been to Disneyland several times but never during Christmas season). Took some castle photos prior to rope drop.

I’d heard from a friend that the snow has a cinnamon scent, which is very likely to cause me a headache (fake scents usually do, with cinnamon being the worst). The man at the end of Main Street was helpful when I asked about how to avoid the scent during snowfall, and also suggested I talk to the cast member at the start of It’s a Small World.

Family arrived, so I walked back up Main Street to meet them, and we headed to Peter Pan. Did a few more things in Fantasy Land (Mr. Toad, Carousel). They wanted to try to meet Mickey, and I decided it was time for a little break. Got a breakfast platter at Red Rose Taverne - a decent choice for second breakfast.

Headed to join them as they ran around Toon Town, then we all went to Jungle Cruise (I love the jokes). Got some chicken at the Mexican restaurant and left for a bigger break.

I picked up a fast pass for Haunted Mansion, and went to experience Star Wars Galaxy Edge. I didn’t go for the ride because I get motion sickness easily, but wanted to explore. There are some nice quiet benches on the path to/from Star Wars area.

@Plip, your comment about trying to process too much of my surroundings stuck with me, and I was able to manage much more easily than I expected. When I was growing up, my mom always hammered away at us to pay attention to your surroundings (due to fear of pick pocketing and assault), but I realized that if people are away more than a step or 2, I can filter them out.

Met up with family again for Autopia, then wandered off for single rider Matterhorn while they did It’s a Small World (I decided not to risk scent, and they indicated it was a good choice). We rejoined for Storybook boat and dinner.

Then I decided to say my goodbyes and went to Haunted Mansion with my fast pass. I’d been looking forward to this because even though Nightmare Before Christmas isn’t my favorite movie, I’m a big fan of Danny Elfman and am therefore fond of Jack. It was delightful.

I headed to the exit, and got to hear some of the Candlelight Processional music. It was beautiful, and I’m glad I got to hear a little bit, but wouldn’t have wanted to be trapped in the crowd.

Thanks again!

I had a successful trip to Disneyland yesterday, and I wanted to thank you for helping me! I carried weather protection, maintained hydration, and made healthy food choices, and it was good.

I started the morning at a fast food restaurant near home with coffee, an egg, sausage, and hash browns. Took Lyft to avoid the parking hassle. Security was easy, and I had time to rest before park opening.

My family was delayed, so I meandered up Main Street alone to see the decor (I’ve been to Disneyland several times but never during Christmas season). Took some castle photos prior to rope drop.

I’d heard from a friend that the snow has a cinnamon scent, which is very likely to cause me a headache (fake scents usually do, with cinnamon being the worst). The man at the end of Main Street was helpful when I asked about how to avoid the scent during snowfall, and also suggested I talk to the cast member at the start of It’s a Small World.

Family arrived, so I walked back up Main Street to meet them, and we headed to Peter Pan. Did a few more things in Fantasy Land (Mr. Toad, Carousel). They wanted to try to meet Mickey, and I decided it was time for a little break. Got a breakfast platter at Red Rose Taverne - a decent choice for second breakfast.

Headed to join them as they ran around Toon Town, then we all went to Jungle Cruise (I love the jokes). Got some chicken at the Mexican restaurant and left for a bigger break.

I picked up a fast pass for Haunted Mansion, and went to experience Star Wars Galaxy Edge. I didn’t go for the ride because I get motion sickness easily, but wanted to explore. There are some nice quiet benches on the path to/from Star Wars area.

@Plip, your comment about trying to process too much of my surroundings stuck with me, and I was able to manage much more easily than I expected. When I was growing up, my mom always hammered away at us to pay attention to your surroundings (due to fear of pick pocketing and assault), but I realized that if people are away more than a step or 2, I can filter them out.

Met up with family again for Autopia, then wandered off for single rider Matterhorn while they did It’s a Small World (I decided not to risk scent, and they indicated it was a good choice). We rejoined for Storybook boat and dinner.

Then I decided to say my goodbyes and went to Haunted Mansion with my fast pass. I’d been looking forward to this because even though Nightmare Before Christmas isn’t my favorite movie, I’m a big fan of Danny Elfman and am therefore fond of Jack. It was delightful.

I headed to the exit, and got to hear some of the Candlelight Processional music. It was beautiful, and I’m glad I got to hear a little bit, but wouldn’t have wanted to be trapped in the crowd.

Thanks again!
Can you elaborate on the scent thing? I too get severe headaches and scents can be a trigger. Is it the snow during fireworks? I’ve seen the Christmas show, but 4 years ago. I don’t remember it being scented. Is that new? I’m going next weekend and was planning on staying for fireworks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!