Decision Time - Keep Dolphin Ressie or Switch to AllStar or PO??

Bill From PA

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That
We've had ressies for 8 days at the Dolphin for some time now at $129 plus the extras. That comes to $1200 and change. The Nov. codes are out and those same 8 days would cost $550 at AllStar and $850 at PO. We've done AllStar Music twice and were satisfied with what we got for the money and last year spent a week at PO Riverside and loved it. This would be our first Dolphin stay. We can afford it and there's nothing extra we'd do at WDW with the money saved by switching to PO or AllStar. The question I ask myself is, 'Is Dolphin inherently worth the extra $$?'. We do like Epcot a lot and plan to hit JellyRolls more than once so I'm leaning towards keeping our ressie. Any thoughts? What would you do?

Bill From PA

I think it is a matter of location if money is not your main concern. I had the Dolphin booked for our upcoming trip but changed to the Wilderness Lodge. I was able to get the $129 rate at the WL. I figured for the same money we might as well go with Disney. Also, I have recently been reading that the dolphin is in need of some repair. There have been many complaints about the bedding. Just something to consider. Good Luck in your decision!

All things considered, I think I'd rather stay in a "Disney" hotel. Port Orleans is a super place, as you know. Would you split your stay? How important is the location? Do you want to save money? Could you use the extra money for a special dinner, or go someplace you ordinarily wouldn't?

Personally, I would stay at Port Orleans but money is always an issue when we go.

If money isn't a big concern then I would definetly keep the Dolphin ressie!!! It's so nice to be so close to Epcot, MGM and Boardwalk!!!:)

Why not pay "almost" the same price and get two rooms at All Stars with connecting doors for you and the kids. You will get an extra bathroom, kids could sleep while you and husband are up in the other room, extra tv if you go back to the room to relax, etc. Let us know what you decide.

If you're really looking to save money then go with the the moderate or value resort but if you're looking to stay in a nice, deluxe hotel with deluxe amenities, great pool too go for the Dolphin. You can't beat the location either, so convenient to everything, virtually in the middle of the magic!

If I had a choice between the Dolphin and WL I'd probably pick the Dolphin too. We've stayed at the Dolphin our last stay and at the Swan 4x before that, so we're going to WL our next visit just to for a "change" in scenery and location. But, heading back to the Dolphin for holiday time.

There have been mixed reviews about the Dolphin but I've also read mixed reviews about many WDW resorts. We've also stayed at them and have had our share of problems too. The S/D seem to take a bad rap and get more flack because they're not Disney owned but in my experience I have been treated just the same if not better at S/D.

I've only stayed at one moderate and would stay at the S/D many times over if given a choice. I'd also stay at the S/D even over some of the WDW owned deluxes. Can't always believe what you read, I almost got sucked into that before our Dolphin stay and boy I'm sure glad I didn't switch. It was one of our best stays ever at WDW.

We had reservations at AKL in June and things came up that prevented us from going this summer. So, we are going at Christmas, mostly because it is the only time we can all go(4 of us). But there was no way we could afford AKL at Xmas with 2 college agers(extra $50/n). So we opted for a teacher rate at the Swan. These codes have a way to tempt one to change ressies, but I haven't given in yet and probably won't. Because of these boards I have since become a Platinum SPG member and will have a jr. suite for the $129 teacher rate. Can't see giving that up, even for AKL or GF.

Carol

If you plan to spend a lot of time at EPCOT & Boardwalk I would stay at Dolphin. We have never had a bad room or experience, and it sure beats having to drive or bus late in the evening.

I'd stay with the Dolphin or split your stay, just because of location location location. I've stayed at WL and the old Dixie Landings, but with the govt rate at the S/D and the convenience of the location with the dining/entertainment within walking distance as well as the proximity of MGM and Epcot...I feel right in the heart of the magic regardless of who owns the resort.
I've seen the mixed reviews, and actually had some disappointment with a couple of matters in my last stay, but it really doesn't change my mind. It's a fantastic resort. So to answer you basic question...yes I do firmly feel the Dolphin is "inherently worth the extra money" ove rthe two resorts you mentioned
Have fun no matter what you decide :)

If your planning to hit Jelly Rolls alot.....the Dolphin is a short stumbling distance. :)

Another vote to stick with the Dolphin ressie. I think it's a great location and consider it quite a deluxe hotel. I am a Disney freak, and have found staying there does not at all take away from the Disney experience just because it isn't Disney. I really don't see very much of a difference at all.

As others have said, you may get a lemon of a room or get a bad front desk clerk, but that's anywhere. On a whole, you can't beat the amenities or the location with a moderate...

Good luck!

We absolutely love PO Riverside, but once we discovered the Dolphin, we think it's definitely worth the extra money. The location alone is the absolute best. Epcot is our fav. park and we love strolling BW. If we had the opportunity to fit in Jellyrolls, that alone would make the decision to stay at Dolphin.

We find there to be just as much, if not more, Disney "Magic" at S/D as compared to Disney resorts. In June we split b/w Poly conceirge and Swan and the service at Swan was far superior to Poly. Pools are both our two fav.

Am in the same position as you are. I've had Dolphin ressies for some time. While not at your great discount, still the 172nite incl. tax is better then the other Epcot resorts. Really wanted the location.

However. with the new codes, have decided to go for CBR, water view, for the 107 a nite incl tax.

It isn't so much the dollar saved but was leary about the reports of rooms needing renovation, uncomfortable beds, etc. Also could only afford a standard room and even with Starwood Gold membership, didn't feel very sure of getting a comp. upgrade when the hotel was booked full. I don't feel comfortable without either balcony or outside exit to the room.

So, going with CBR and looking forward to it. Since the renovation, have seen little to no negatives--except that it's a big resort.

Tough decision I know....

Our experience at the Dolphin was not pleasant so I guess my vote would be for the PO. It does, however, depend on what is important to you.

We like the food court concept at the PO. A couple people have posted that they spent a lot more money on food without this option. We also don't mind not having a balcony and outside walkways. If either are important to you then you should definitely stay at the Dolphin.

The fact that you can walk to MGM and Epcot is a nice option at the Dolphin. But, we found the boat transportation to be rather slow and typically walked so that wasn't a factor for us. Of course you share a bus with the Swan, YC/BC to get to AKL and MK so there is bus transportation at both resorts.

And, if you want your "stop" to be one of the closer ones...then you want to pick the Dolphin. Many complain that the PO stop is always close to the furthest. It isn't a factor for us but for some it is an issue.

You will get varying opinions, I'm sure. Based on my experience I would choose the PO. We've always had great luck there and enjoy it every trip.

What would I do? I'd keep your Dolphin reservation! We've stayed at the Swan, Dolphin and are returning to the Swan in January! We've been sold on the Epcot resorts!

The S/D seem to take a bad rap and get more flack because they're not Disney owned

Bingo! I think if it were "Disney owned" people wouldn't be so quick to criticise!

The location of the Epcot resorts (Swan/Dolphin, YC/BC, Boardwalk) is one of the best, in my opinion. The boat ride back from Epcot or MGM is a nice way to unwind, and a scenic one too. If you prefer to walk, you can do that also! You are that close!

In place of a food court, there is Tubbi's in the Dolphin. It's not cheap (what is at Disney?) but you'll find some quick food to grab on the go.

If you decide on the dolphin, insist on a renovated room! We just returned; the floors at the Dolphin were dirty and our bed had a sheet of plywood under the mattress. Talk about uncomfortable. We were staying on club level too and had heard those were the first rooms renovated. Not the one we had. We also had billing problems, everything was resolved but took alot of park time our last day there.

With all that said, the pool is great and the location is the best. I would probably split my stay. Dolphin for the MGM, Epcot, Jellyrolls, and PO for the others.

I say keep the Dolphin - especially since you mentioned Jelly Rolls and Epcot. It'll be a new experience and the Epcot Resort area can't be beat. I've never stayed at the Dolphin so I can't comment on that. We usually stay at YC or BC and love the area. I think you'll be pleased. Plus, you said money wasn't an issue so why not go for it?

PamNC

Thanks for all the great input. As mentioned, we were leaning toward keeping the Dolphin ressie but had to reconsider in light of the great rates available elsewhere. We're sticking to the plan and we'll be at Dolphin from 11/8 through 11/16. The ability to walk to two of the four parks along with easy access to the Boardwalk justifies the higher rate in our minds. Thanks to comments in this thread we'll be sure to request a recently refurbished room. Our Starwood membership should help here.

Bill From PA

I'm sure the All Stars were cheaper when you originally decided to stay at the Dolphin. If you want to take advantage of the discounts why not look at the POLY, WL or CR for the days you plan to be at the MK? AK might also be an option. Since you don't need to save money on your resort why not use this as an opportunity to stay in resorts you wouldn't otherwise consider.

I was also trying to decide on POR with the new codes, or my existing ressie at The Swan. ( I got the gov't discount at The Swan ).

What swayed my opinion to stay with my ressie at The Swan, was that I remembered that at the parks the bus stop for POR was the one most far away. This is a killer at the end of the day !

Because of the location, location, location, it is worth the extra money to stay at The Swan.

The Swan/Dolphin is also an easy walk over to Jelly Rolls.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter