Defiant toddler; trip in mid November.

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my opinion, I'm not sure what age is acceptable. Since every child is different. My 2 year old doesn't understand germs but understands "boo-boo's" so unfortunately I have to use a scare tactic. Boo-boo's and Disney isn't something I want to mix. I want it to be 100% enjoyable. So now isn't the time. I'm wondering why the WHO states 5 and up and CDC is 2 and up. That's a very big difference in age. I guess I'm having a hard time understanding who decided 2 years old and up is suitable. If my son was 23 months and 29 days, he shouldn't wear a mask. Give it another 24 hours, and he should wear a mask. It seems odd to me but I guess a line has to be drawn somewhere.
I think because Preschool is for 3’s and 4’s, those age groups require masks being in school with teachers. Two seems like a real challenge to me too, but since we’re in a pandemic and trying to save lives, I’m guessing that the CDC lowered the age.

I think it’s smart to wait until the situation at Disney is more ideal. My daughter was 6 on our first trip to WDW, and she doesn’t remember it at all, so I doubt that your little one is even aware of missing out on Disney.

I hope that whenever you get there it’s a perfect trip for all of you.

I think because Preschool is for 3’s and 4’s, those age groups require masks being in school with teachers. Two seems like a real challenge to me too, but since we’re in a pandemic and trying to save lives, I’m guessing that the CDC lowered the age.

I think it’s smart to wait until the situation at Disney is more ideal. My daughter was 6 on our first trip to WDW, and she doesn’t remember it at all, so I doubt that your little one is even aware of missing out on Disney.

I hope that whenever you get there it’s a perfect trip for all of you.
Yes except are we suggesting the WHO is less concerned with saving lives than the CDC? I think it’s b/c it’s not always safe for little kids to be wearing masks & I think it’s b/c there has been very little evidence that suggests kids that young can get it or spread it. So saying the cdc’s recommendation is about “savings lives” seems a little dramatic to me.

Eta: there have been many outbreaks tied to close quarter type institutions...nursing homes, jails, etc. But there has not been widespread outbreaks in daycares. There has to be a reason for that.

I hope everyone who cancels for this lets Disney know why. Perhaps if enough ppl cancel for that reason, they’ll rethink this ridiculous policy.
I kind of wonder if that might be part of the strategy to keep below capacity limitations, though. Whether we cancel our April trip depends on whether I think my kids can handle the mask rule and whether Disney cancels Star Wars half marathon weekend, so time will tell.

Since I am a PreK teacher, I keep abreast of the most recent studies. Five days ago, Harvard Medical School released an article stating, “Recent studies raise concerns that children are capable of spreading the infection.” “Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome (MIS-C) causes life threatening problems with the heart and in other organs of young children.”

That’s enough information for me to not take mask-wearing in children lightly. I don’t think that it’s safe for anyone under 3 to wear a mask. But IMHO, I believe that the CDC is trying to prevent more deaths.

I already know that we will not agree, so I am opting out of this conversation.

I am in the position with my almost 3 yr old that she hasn't been anywhere outside the house in 6 months. (except for car rides for curbside pickup) We have been very strict about quarantine and then social distancing, etc. Don't socialize basically. I need to practice the mask wearing at home for our November trip. However, she is very "tantrumy" so i don't know what to expect. 🤦‍♀️ My older daughter starts hybrid school next week so I will see how she does with masks. At least she understands why. We are in NY and cases have just recently gone up a bit so I don't even know if we will get to school next week. craziness.

As a Disney travel planning site, discussions about Disney's policies and rules are very welcome here. However, discussions of or instructions for ways to circumvent those rules or "cheat the system" are not appropriate and will be deleted.

Since the Walt Disney World policy clearly states that all guests 2 and over must wear a face mask and the mask policy for Orange County, FL (where WDW is located) is still in effect, discussion bypassing this policy is not allowed.

Whether we personally feel the policy is right, wrong or flawed is immaterial as it is the policy currently in place at Walt Disney World.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter