Defiant toddler; trip in mid November.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been in the parks a lot over the last couple of months and mask reminders from CM is completely hit and miss. I've watched CM's turn the other way for blatant mask removal (like, a group of people wandering the park literally with a mask in their hand) and other CM telling people to pull their mask up in between sips of coffee as they sit off to the side, 20 feet from the nearest human being.

We have local friends who have gone even more than us and their 2 year old struggles. They have pulled back on trips with her because of the constant CM reminders. They try, and she wears them alllll the time at home, but she's 2. It just became a point of frustration so they don't visit as often with her (often just go with big brother).

I think the kids, esp young ones, do even better with the masks in the parks than some adults!

I've been in the parks a lot over the last couple of months and mask reminders from CM is completely hit and miss. I've watched CM's turn the other way for blatant mask removal (like, a group of people wandering the park literally with a mask in their hand) and other CM telling people to pull their mask up in between sips of coffee as they sit off to the side, 20 feet from the nearest human being.

We have local friends who have gone even more than us and their 2 year old struggles. They have pulled back on trips with her because of the constant CM reminders. They try, and she wears them alllll the time at home, but she's 2. It just became a point of frustration so they don't visit as often with her (often just go with big brother).

I think the kids, esp young ones, do even better with the masks in the parks than some adults!
The inconsistencies of CM's enforcing mask wearing along with the people who resist wearing them is what keeps me from WDW. In my school, I can tell others to fix their mask. In WDW, I can't. That makes me feel unsafe. I just wish everyone would get on the same page and wear a mask so that we can all enjoy our lives without putting our lives at risk.

Not sure if you have a package or a room only, or what your transportation will be like. I know this is a Disney board, but Legoland doesn't require masks until age 8. We are planning a trip to Disney Springs, Ft. Wilderness, and Legoland in November. Not sure whether we will chance a Disney park day. My 4 year old says he will wear his mask and understands that the characters will all be at a distance, but he's never had to wear a mask for more than an hour or so before. I feel confident that he will wear it properly en route to the pool, on the way to a restaurant, and even on the kids' train at Disney Springs, but I am not sure if I am ready to attempt a park day. I want to remember the Magic Kingdom as my happy place, not one filled with constant mask reminders. But I have heard that some people have been pleasantly surprised at how their kids have handled masks, especially if they practice before they go.

The mask is required for everyone 2 and older and they are being enforced. They are required in all parks, on transportation and everywhere at your resort except inside the pool area, your room and dining. If your child can’t abide by that then you might want to consider rescheduling.
Not exactly.

The amount of childless individuals or people with adult children who love to comment and make angry or laughing faces on these threads is mind boggling. It’s quite easy to sit upon your childless perch and make judgments upon parents, and quite another to actually HAVE young children. Everyone is a perfect parent until they have children, or gets memory fog and claims, “My children would never do such a thing!” or “If I had kids, I would never let them do...”
The truth is, nobody knows what they would do until they are in a situation. You can have the best intentions, but you just don’t know until you have actually been through it.

I KNOW my child would do such a thing. I have a nine month old and he rips his bib off all the time, same with hats when we go for a walk (and at Disney!). I'm working with him on keeping them on and trying to remain consistent, but it's hard. We're locals, and right now we don't have to worry about a mask. But a year from now if masks are still required at Disney, I'm going to start working with him on wearing one. If he can't keep one on for an extended period of time, we won't go anymore. I wouldn't plan to go to Disney if he ripped his pants off all the time, so I'm not going to assume the mask rule doesn't apply to us just because he's a toddler.

But considering how crowded the parks have been getting, we might stop going to Disney soon anyway. :(

I would spend time getting him used to it. Try screen time ONLY if he is wearing his "super hero" mask. Approach it as
"you are going to be a super hero, and super hero needs to wear a mask ALL THE TIME!" I guarantee that he will get used to it quickly if presented in a positive way and given enough time to practice and get used to them. :)

I went in early August with my just turned 3 year old. It will be demanded that your child wear a mask for the temperature check. No mask = doesn't get in. Beyond that, mask compliance was very high but when my son got tired of his mask and began to pull it off, all we ever got was a reminder to put it back on. I would not categorize the approach taken towards toddlers as very strict. It is more like frequent gentle reminders. We were never booted from the park or anything like that. I saw one grown man without a mask and several young kids, some older than 2. If your child blatantly opposes a mask, cancel. Otherwise, keep practicing.

Keep your expectations low. I know my almost 3 year old would struggle with wearing a mask for x amt of time, because she is a defiant little thing. :rotfl2:

I'm not sure I would want the stress of the mask in the parks with a kiddo that age. You are his/her mama and know best. Every kid is different!

The amount of childless individuals or people with adult children who love to comment and make angry or laughing faces on these threads is mind boggling. It’s quite easy to sit upon your childless perch and make judgments upon parents, and quite another to actually HAVE young children. Everyone is a perfect parent until they have children, or gets memory fog and claims, “My children would never do such a thing!” or “If I had kids, I would never let them do...”
The truth is, nobody knows what they would do until they are in a situation. You can have the best intentions, but you just don’t know until you have actually been through it.

Similarly, there are a LOT of parents on here that think it is okay for a 2 year old to break the rules just because they are 2 and are not considering that perhaps the safest option is to not go at all (I’m not talking about the OP who is contemplating what to do.)

I am a parent. My kids are 4 & 5. They wear masks now with no issues or complaints. But at 2? Boy, that would have been tough for both of them. Probably impossible. This wouldn’t be the time for us to visit WDW, as much as we love it. If I wasn’t sure they could comply with the rules (and I know mine wouldn’t have at 2), we wouldn’t go during a pandemic. I wouldn’t make excuses for them just because they are 2. And if we did go? We’d be ready for lots of pool and room time if they couldn’t comply in the parks, Springs, or resort common areas.

Similarly, there are a LOT of parents on here that think it is okay for a 2 year old to break the rules just because they are 2 and are not considering that perhaps the safest option is to not go at all (I’m not talking about the OP who is contemplating what to do.)

I am a parent. My kids are 4 & 5. They wear masks now with no issues or complaints. But at 2? Boy, that would have been tough for both of them. Probably impossible. This wouldn’t be the time for us to visit WDW, as much as we love it. If I wasn’t sure they could comply with the rules (and I know mine wouldn’t have at 2), we wouldn’t go during a pandemic. I wouldn’t make excuses for them just because they are 2. And if we did go? We’d be ready for lots of pool and room time if they couldn’t comply in the parks, Springs, or resort common areas.
It’s not about breaking the rules. But, as I’m sure you know, with anything & sometimes everything, compliance from a 2 yr old can be hit or miss. That doesn’t mean that parents don’t continue to enforce the rules. Hoping with the new announcement from Desantis yesterday that WDW relaxes policies for that younger age groups in the near future.

It’s not about breaking the rules. But, as I’m sure you know, with anything & sometimes everything, compliance from a 2 yr old can be hit or miss. That doesn’t mean that parents don’t continue to enforce the rules. Hoping with the new announcement from Desantis yesterday that WDW relaxes policies for that younger age groups in the near future.

Yep! It totally is hit or miss. With most 2 year old, masks all day at WDW are probably more miss than hit. Except many people go, fully knowing their 2 year old will not be able to comply. We see posts about it daily in Facebook groups, often on here too - people asking in advance if the mask rule will be enforced for a 2 year old. And people respond with “oh, my 2 year old wasn’t approached,” or “they only checked at the gate,” etc.

I doubt too many people bringing a 2 year old are totally confident they can comply with the mask policy. If I thought it was unrealistic for my child to comply (and I’m 99.9% sure my kids would not comply at 2), we just wouldn’t go. Others will choose to go and when their 2 year old inevitably doesn’t comply, give up (breaking the rules) and hope they don’t get approached.

Also disagree on relaxing the mask rules, as increasing the age will increase the number of unmasked people in the parks significantly.

Unfortunately, many people can’t accept that a trip to WDW with small children during a pandemic perhaps shouldn’t happen if they have any doubts that they can comply with the policies. People are so entitled, don’t like the 2 & up rule, know their child probably can’t fully comply, and they don’t care because they want to go to WDW and will just go anyway.

Last edited:
Yep! It totally is hit or miss. With most 2 year old, masks all day at WDW are probably more miss than hit. Except many people go, fully knowing their 2 year old will not be able to comply. We see posts about it daily in Facebook groups, often on here too - people asking if the mask rule will be enforced for a 2 year old. And people respond with “oh, my 2 year old wasn’t approached,” or “they only checked at the gate,” etc.

I doubt too many people bringing a 2 year old are totally confident they can comply with the mask policy. If I thought it was unrealistic for my child to comply (and I’m 99.9% sure my kids would not comply at 2), we just wouldn’t go. Others will choose to go and when their 2 year old inevitably doesn’t comply, give up (breaking the rules) and hope they don’t get approached.

Also disagree on relaxing the mask rules, as increasing the age will increase the number of unmasked people in the parks significantly.

Unfortunately, many people can’t accept that a trip to WDW with small children during a pandemic perhaps shouldn’t happen if they have any doubts that they can comply with the policies. People are so entitled, don’t like the 2 & up rule, know their child probably can’t fully comply, and they don’t care because they want to go to WDW and will just go anyway.
Agree 100%.

We can't always get what we want when we want it, and that's okay. Learning how to handle disappointment, developing self-control, and having patience is very healthy. My family was really bummed out when our trip was cancelled in June, and we know that next summer may not work out either. We are resilient. We can handle when things don't go our way, and we know that eventually we will return to WDW and have the best trip ever.

Yep! It totally is hit or miss. With most 2 year old, masks all day at WDW are probably more miss than hit. Except many people go, fully knowing their 2 year old will not be able to comply. We see posts about it daily in Facebook groups, often on here too - people asking in advance if the mask rule will be enforced for a 2 year old. And people respond with “oh, my 2 year old wasn’t approached,” or “they only checked at the gate,” etc.

So ppl with 2 yr olds should stay home then I guess? There are many things that are difficult to get a 2 yr old to comply with 100% that are required in public places.

As far as relaxing the masks policy, Disney will do whatever will be the most profitable. I think it has yet to be determined if that’s strict mask enforcement or not. Desantis has now given them an out if they want to be more lenient.

Agree 100%.

We can't always get what we want when we want it, and that's okay. Learning how to handle disappointment, developing self-control, and having patience is very healthy. My family was really bummed out when our trip was cancelled in June, and we know that next summer may not work out either. We are resilient. We can handle when things don't go our way, and we know that eventually we will return to WDW and have the best trip ever.
Good for you?

So ppl with 2 yr olds should stay home then I guess? There are many things that are difficult to get a 2 yr old to comply with 100% that are required in public places.

As far as relaxing the masks policy, Disney will do whatever will be the most profitable. I think it has yet to be determined if that’s strict mask enforcement or not. Desantis has now given them an out if they want to be more lenient.

Yep. It’s a matter of public health during a pandemic. Can’t comply, don’t go. It endangers the health of others. That’s why they aren’t offering exceptions for people with sensory disorders, autism, etc. Why should a 2 year old get a pass and not them? Disney needs the MOST mask compliance as possible to stay open safely, and that means no exceptions. People forget we are in the thick of a pandemic.

Disney will do what is safest for their cast members and guests. And right now, that’s the most people in masks as possible. I don’t think a strict mask policy at Disney is going anywhere soon.

Yep. It’s a matter of public health during a pandemic. Can’t comply, don’t go. It endangers the health of others. That’s why they aren’t offering exceptions for people with sensory disorders, autism, etc. Why should a 2 year old get a pass and not them? Disney needs the MOST mask compliance as possible to stay open safely, and that means no exceptions. People forget we are in the thick of a pandemic.

Disney will do what is safest for their cast members and guests. And right now, that’s the most people in masks as possible. I don’t think a strict mask policy at Disney is going anywhere soon.
Lol. Disney will do whatever is the most profitable. The WHO doesn’t think 2 yr olds represent a significant “public health risk”. I guess they’re more dangerous here? 🙄

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter