Delta and carry on bag ?

Tigger2ntinkerbell

DIS Veteran
The last time I flew with delta in November 2017(basic ticket), I had to pay for a carry on bag fee, while others on flight did not.
The lady on my flight told me know one pays that fee.
Is this true.

I've never paid a carry on fee.
They do have several classes of tickets. We have never flown "basic" where you don't pick a seat in advance. Maybe this one doesn't include a carry on? I won't fly it so I don't bother to read the rules for it
Fare rules are clearly spelled out on their site. I'd read there

ETA - corrected termonology

Last edited:
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/onboard-experience/basic-economy.html

The chart here seems to indicate you can still use the overhead bins. OP, were you told by the airline you could not?

fare-comparison-chart-desktop.gif

I called a week before our flight, and was told I had to pay for my carry on bag along with my DH bag. Twice because it was a round trip ticket(s). Price was the same as checked bag :guilty:

I called a week before our flight, and was told I had to pay for my carry on bag along with my DH bag. Twice because it was a round trip ticket(s). Price was the same as checked bag :guilty:
I just opened the app, acted as if I was booking a Basic ticket and a carry on bag is included in that fare class.
Nothing else is included.
What were you charged? How did you pay, where and to who?
Though it's always possible the fare rules have changed since November, but I don't believe they did

ETA - there is a size limit of about 22" too. If your bag is larger, you will be charged checked bag fees

I left from FNT(flint,mi) to MCO Orlando.
I called back to complain about the fee and they refused to refund the money paid. Charged $25 x4(2 bags down, 2 bags back home)

From the Delta website...

Baggage Details

One bag. One item. No charge.

We know, you’ve probably heard it before, but just in case you need a reminder: you’re only allowed one carry-on bag and one personal item onboard at no charge. Just make sure they fit into the overhead bin or under the seat in front of you. Cram sessions are not pretty — and they slow things down.

So if you were charged for carry-on items, I would definitely escalate your complaint and demand a refund. They are pretty clear that they do not charge for carry-on items so they owe you a refund. Now, if you were charged for checked bags, that's different.

Nope, the agent just kept telling me that was the fee. It wasn't even thanksgiving week. We went the first full week in November.
Did you actually talk to Delta?

Something tells me there was a miscommunication somewhere. As in did you say "Can I bring a bag" and they said "sure, $25 each way". I don't see anyway Delta charged for a carry on (unless you were on some kind of special ticket that no one knows about).

I have flown on the basic fare and haven't had to pay a carry-on bag fee. Delta is one of the only airlines that still allows a free carry on with their basic fare, but I had no problems with this. I would definitely get with Delta to see why you had to pay the carry on bag fee.

Nope, the agent just kept telling me that was the fee. It wasn't even thanksgiving week. We went the first full week in November.

Who were you talking to? How were you charged? Did you show anyone from Delta that you had paid anything? WHEN were you charged?

I have been reading our replies to my DH .
I told him , I have call a couple of times(no help from Delta) and sending several email. I had lost hope of getting a refund.
So tonight My DH call Delta(8004552720) and tell the agent very nicely that we have been getting a run around about a refund and will hold to talk to a supervisor.
Supervisor gets the line and asked if we still had our confirmation #, he gave it and let her know that I had been on the Disboards asking for help.
Low and be hold, she noted that Delta shouldn't have charged us for on carry on bags.
A Refund will be applied back to our c.c. within the next 3 days.

So thank you to my DH who simply was willing to hold for a supervisor . And not take no we can't or won't refund our money.
And for you wonderful Disboards people who told me to call. Thank you again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter