Delta imposes new rules for service dogs starting March 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
We might need to agree to disagree.

It’s not likely to ever get to the point of a nationwide registry and if it included certification by other parties, that would be subject to even more abuse - it would legitimize the places that right now issue fake certificates.

As an example, there are companies that sell ECVs and advertise that they can provide one, paid for by Medicare at no cost to you. Their doctor will ask you a few questions, then certify that you need it and the company will put in an order for your ECV and bill Medicare. I envision the same thing happening with Service Animals if registration/certificate is required. And, once they have the paperwork certifying the animal as a service animal, it would be more difficult to do something about the poorly behaving ones (at least what I think because many of the people with poorly behaving dogs actually have poorly behaving Emotional support animals that they think are Service Animals).

Most of the reputible, real Service Animal organizations I am aware of and most SD users I know of feel behavior is the best indication of whether or not it’s a ‘real’ service animal and favor what Minnesota is proposing - awareness and education about service dogs, businesses actually kicking out poorly behaving animals, and making owners responsible for the dog’s behavior.
So, the issue is less ‘is Fido being passed off as a service dog’ and more about ‘is poorly trained and poorly behaving Fido being passed off as a service dog.’
This is a story about Minnesota’s proposal: https://www.twincities.com/2018/03/...raud-problem-mn-lawmakers-want-to-crack-down/

Florida has similar law: https://www.consumeraffairs.com/new...ration-becomes-a-crime-in-florida-070715.html

We'll have to stay at disagreeing because if we can get driver's licenses and passports in this country to be at a certain level of security against fraud, we can do it for service dog licenses as well.

So, the issue is less ‘is Fido being passed off as a service dog’ and more about ‘is poorly trained and poorly behaving Fido being passed off as a service dog.’
My issue with this is that airlines often have a maximum number of animals in the cabin that may be accommodated. My family is at this moment planning a 3 month assignment in California (from Michigan) and will be paying $125 for each of our 3 cats to fly with us each way. But on top of that, Delta informs us that they may not know until boarding if all of my cats may fly on the same flight. Service animals (of course) and emotional support animals will take precedence. Meaning some of my family may get bumped so we can take a later flight with our pets.

And, sure... if someone needs their critter to get through the day I'm okay dealing with the extra hassle. And if the airline wants to give that person for free what they make me pay $250 r/t per cat... that's their business not mine. But asking for a little more than the person's say-so that this service is more than just a convenient way for them to bring their pet along for free when they fly does not seem like asking too much.

ADA doesn't distinguish between service animals and psychiatric service animals. A service dog is one that is trained to perform a task to assist a person with a disability. An emotional support animal, the owner requires only its presence. The dog does not do a task to assist them, it just needs to be there.

A dog can be trained to assist a person with psychiatric issues in several ways, but if the person needs only the dog's presence, it's an emotional support animal. It's not enough that it be taught to behave in public, it must do something to assist its owner to be considered a service animal.

A therapy dog doesn't assist its handler with anything, the handler generally takes it to places like schools and hospitals so that it can interact with and provide comfort to others. They are usually trained to behave in public but a therapy animal is not the same as an emotional support animal.

ADA doesn't distinguish between service animals and psychiatric service animals. A service dog is one that is trained to perform a task to assist a person with a disability. An emotional support animal, the owner requires only its presence. The dog does not do a task to assist them, it just needs to be there.

A dog can be trained to assist a person with psychiatric issues in several ways, but if the person needs only the dog's presence, it's an emotional support animal. It's not enough that it be taught to behave in public, it must do something to assist its owner to be considered a service animal.

A therapy dog doesn't assist its handler with anything, the handler generally takes it to places like schools and hospitals so that it can interact with and provide comfort to others.

Except we aren't talking about the ADA as much as we are talking about the airlines, which do not fall under ADA.

No, they fall under the Air Carriers Access Act which basically uses the same descriptions. If the owner needs only the animal's presence, it's an emotional support animal. Of course it is easy enough for the handler to represent it as a service animal even if it isn't. Even with the Delta rules. Which are geared toward Delta's liability should another untrained emotional support animal try and tear the face off a passenger in the next seat.

The other issue is that the ACAA does not specify a species like ADA does. So on airlines you get emotional support cats, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, and peacocks. At least the peacock wasn't allowed onto the plane.

No, they fall under the Air Carriers Access Act which basically uses the same descriptions. If the owner needs only the animal's presence, it's an emotional support animal. Of course it is easy enough for the handler to represent it as a service animal even if it isn't. Even with the Delta rules. Which are geared toward Delta's liability should another untrained emotional support animal try and tear the face off a passenger in the next seat.

The other issue is that the ACAA does not specify a species like ADA does. So on airlines you get emotional support cats, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, and peacocks. At least the peacock wasn't allowed onto the plane.

Don't forget the snakes, spiders, and what if it's a miniature pony???

Mods - let's close this thread. It was meant to be informational only, and I think that purpose has been served. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter