Deluxe Dining plan during Christmas Break/New Year's Eve

Lyandra

Earning My Ears
We are looking at booking for the Christmas holiday in 2019. It's a long stay, 11 days.
My husband wants to do the Deluxe Dining plan because, well, he wants to try it just for the 2 of us. He likes the idea to do all the character meals and signature restaurants on a trip. We are staying in a moderate instead of the deluxe we usually do so we can do that.

When I look at 2018 (just as an indicator), it seems all the nice option for New Year's Eve are Pay out of pocket options. Is there any options of meals that would be nice, signature, on New Year's Eve that would take the dining plan? If I don't book a signature that night, I have a feeling we will have leave way too many credit on the table (not that we wont regardless... )

Thanks,

I would never give up the amenities of a deluxe resort for moderate for that long of a trip. Having the indoor corridors, balcony w natural light, slightly larger rooms, better restaurants m better pools, better locations...

We once did a split stay w dxdp for 3 nights. After 3 days we were done. Too much food, too rich food.

Have you ever done dxdp? 3 courses per person per meal is a lot. And very rich. Not to mention have you ever not felt well on vacation? There is a lot of money on the table if you leave credits behind. Dxdp for that long is what, $2500?

To your other question, all special events on Nye are pay events. You can still eat out but none of the special events are included.

You can book any of the regular restaurants for NYE on the DDP. Special events like the celebration at California Grill are not. I would suggest you book in Epcot for NYE and in/around the MK on 12/30.

I’ve never done the DxDP because it’s too expensive for me but many people enjoy it. It might be worth it if you’re doing a lot of character meals and signature meals. Consider booking during “Free dining” and then paying to upgrade.

Here is a historical list of WDW resort discounts:

https://www.mousesavers.com/historical-information-on-walt-disney-world-resort-discounts/

I love dlxdp. For my solo trip I am booking an early lunch and a later signature dinner. I find that the signature portions aren’t usually huge and I find them manageable. I often get a salad as my appetizer and a fish entree. I think it allows me to make healthier choices. When I go with family we often do a later character breakfast and a later signature dinner as we usuayrope drop.

I love dlxdp. For my solo trip I am booking an early lunch and a later signature dinner. I find that the signature portions aren’t usually huge and I find them manageable. I often get a salad as my appetizer and a fish entree. I think it allows me to make healthier choices. When I go with family we often do a later character breakfast and a later signature dinner as we usuayrope drop.
That our idea.

When we paid out of pocket, we usually pay around $200-$220 a day, around 2 meals a day, not including Snacks, drinks and such. That's without doing much signature or alcohol. So $232 (+tip) is not that crazy considering, and we will then do a lot more character meals and signature. We never do Quick Service (Other maybe BOG).

I would never give up the amenities of a deluxe resort for moderate for that long of a trip. Having the indoor corridors, balcony w natural light, slightly larger rooms, better restaurants m better pools, better locations...

Considering the period I am going at, the preferred room we are thinking of compared to the cheapest Deluxe is $260 less a night... and $331 less than an Epcot Resort. More than what the deluxe package cost.
I don't think they do much discount in that period. Geez, last trip I did, we did a split stay at the AKL and BC in January this year, and the price per night was lower than the moderate during holiday season....

You should also consider renting DVC points. Check out the board sponsor https://www.dvcrequest.com/.

I put in random dates of 12/22-1/2 (11 nights) and a studio at Beach Club Villas is $4032 or $366 per night. That compared to $324 pre-tax which is about what a moderate will cost you during Holiday season.

Members also rent out their points here on the DVC rental board

Enjoy your trip!

We are looking at booking for the Christmas holiday in 2019. It's a long stay, 11 days.
My husband wants to do the Deluxe Dining plan because, well, he wants to try it just for the 2 of us. He likes the idea to do all the character meals and signature restaurants on a trip. We are staying in a moderate instead of the deluxe we usually do so we can do that.

When I look at 2018 (just as an indicator), it seems all the nice option for New Year's Eve are Pay out of pocket options. Is there any options of meals that would be nice, signature, on New Year's Eve that would take the dining plan? If I don't book a signature that night, I have a feeling we will have leave way too many credit on the table (not that we wont regardless... )

Thanks,

Signature dining is on the table for NYE, but the special events are not. I would totally do the DxDDP over a Holiday, and I would love every minute! I think hat if you spread yoru meals out during the day, two nice meals during a busy time in Disney is a good way to ensure you do not get caught up in the chaos that can be part of Christmas in Disney. The only think is to be sure you are really okay with a moderate resort. I woudl be, but I admit I would miss the amenities, and I know my DH would probably complain, even it it was his idea.

I agree that looking into point rental might be the best of both worlds.

I would miss the room privacy of being able to open my curtains w/o looks Lois. And being able to step out onto my balcony in the morning the most

I'm usually anti-DxDDP because of the amount of food, but over a major holiday for a longer trip in cooler weather, I would go for it, too. Since it is a long trip, you still have plenty of park time, and during the busiest days when you really don't want to leave the park, I find sitting down for a leisurely meal to be a necessity. Also - at least the way it used to work - if you arrange it so that you can check in on the last day of free dining, you'll get it for the whole trip. Since there won't be room discount options during Christmas week, that could at least give you a small "discount" on the DxDDP.

I'm usually anti-DxDDP because of the amount of food, but over a major holiday for a longer trip in cooler weather, I would go for it, too. Since it is a long trip, you still have plenty of park time, and during the busiest days when you really don't want to leave the park, I find sitting down for a leisurely meal to be a necessity. Also - at least the way it used to work - if you arrange it so that you can check in on the last day of free dining, you'll get it for the whole trip. Since there won't be room discount options during Christmas week, that could at least give you a small "discount" on the DxDDP.
Thanks for the advice! I will have to check for that!

Point rental sounds a good option to look, but we would need a 1 bedroom as we need to either have a king bed or 2 queen (sleeping on a queen bed for 11 days the both of us? not a chance! My husband would rather not go at that point...).

I'm fine with the moderate. The only time we used our balcony on our trip were either when we had a Savannah view at the AKL or to apply spray sun screen (the patio door makes a great shield). I don't expect us to be in our room much considering the amount of time we will be having meals :smooth::smooth::smooth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter