Deluxe drinks package

halfmonkey

DIS Veteran
I have a question about the deluxe drinks package because there's a special going on right now for bogo 50%. We're going on a 7 night cruise in July to Alaska and I'm considering this package because by my calculations, it will be $493.5 for two people for 7 nights at $47 for one person and $23.50 for the second person. This basically breaks down to $35.25 per day of drinks. I suppose we can drink that much in a day but I'm wondering does this actually include everything? I saw on the website that bottles are not included but it looks like wine by the glass is included. It seems that if we each have a coffee in the morning and a drink at lunch and one at dinner, that will probably cover the $35.25 per day that I'm calculating.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this? Is this a good deal? Should we get it?

Almost everything including high end bourbons were included on our recent cruise. Some wines and a small number of expensive Cognac and Scotch as well as wines at the wine bar required you to pay the difference between the max price ($13) and the list price plus 18% gratuity on the difference only. Don’t forget, the package includes bottled water, fresh squeezed OJ and specialty coffees at Cafe Prominade.

Hi Halfmonkey:

I would review the cost by placing the item in your cart. I am new to RCCL but have anguished over this purchase myself for months (buy or no?). I have found that the Bogo 50% is off the rate if you bought the package at full price on the cruise. I suspect you will find that your cost is actually $47 each plus 18% gratuity for a total of $776.

Check the numbers before you anguish. :)

Cheers!

I have a question about the deluxe drinks package because there's a special going on right now for bogo 50%. We're going on a 7 night cruise in July to Alaska and I'm considering this package because by my calculations, it will be $493.5 for two people for 7 nights at $47 for one person and $23.50 for the second person. This basically breaks down to $35.25 per day of drinks. I suppose we can drink that much in a day but I'm wondering does this actually include everything? I saw on the website that bottles are not included but it looks like wine by the glass is included. It seems that if we each have a coffee in the morning and a drink at lunch and one at dinner, that will probably cover the $35.25 per day that I'm calculating.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this? Is this a good deal? Should we get it?

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Royal Caribbean math!! The sales are tricky because the savings are applied as 25% off each guest, not actually as one guest at full price and one guest at 50% off. Also, the starting price that is being discounted is the on board price which is the most expensive way to purchase. The best advice is to go through your cruise planner and put the package in your cart so you can see how the savings will be applied in real life. In addition, once in your cart you can see the total inclusive of the tax and gratuity so you will know for sure the total price of the package. As an example, I have a three night cruise coming up in November, under this sale each person's package is $184.08 which works out to $61.36/day per person including tax and gratuity.

That being said, I find the package to be worth it on most cruises. Between specialty coffees, bottles of water (including sparkling), soda, juice, and all alcoholic beverages up to a certain dollar amount, plus the discounts on bottles of wine, I generally have no issue getting my moneys worth. With drink prices on board in the $7 - $15+ range it adds up quickly!

One other thing to remember: If you purchase the package and then it advertises at a lower price, you can cancel and re-book it at the lower price as many times as you want. Hope this helps! Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for the tips of actually adding it in my cart to see the final price. I did that and it came out to $776.44 so I guess if I divide that by 7 nights between two people, that's $55.46 per person per day. If I'm not mistaken, the $55.46 includes tips and taxes though. As I was doing some research last night, I came across a blog that said basically you have to consume about 5 or 6 drinks each day for the package to make sense and it seems that on our cruise, it's any drink up to a $12 value.

We have two ports on our trip so I'm trying to figure out if this package really is worth it for us. Also, I have to try and see if they'll let my wife only order it because I have her set up in a second room. We have 7 people going on the cruise and I split the kids and mother in laws between the two rooms. I called some months ago and asked if only my wife and I can buy drink packages and they said yes at the time. Not sure if that person on the phone was being nice and made an exception or if this is generally allowed when someone called in but I would have to see if they'll allow this again.

Although it's nice to have "unlimited" drinks, it seems like a lot fo spend on drinks for 7 nights. I understand that we're able to bring 2 bottles of wine per stateroom so we might do that instead and then just order what we want as we go along on the trip.

Thanks for the tips of actually adding it in my cart to see the final price. I did that and it came out to $776.44 so I guess if I divide that by 7 nights between two people, that's $55.46 per person per day. If I'm not mistaken, the $55.46 includes tips and taxes though. As I was doing some research last night, I came across a blog that said basically you have to consume about 5 or 6 drinks each day for the package to make sense and it seems that on our cruise, it's any drink up to a $12 value.

We have two ports on our trip so I'm trying to figure out if this package really is worth it for us. Also, I have to try and see if they'll let my wife only order it because I have her set up in a second room. We have 7 people going on the cruise and I split the kids and mother in laws between the two rooms. I called some months ago and asked if only my wife and I can buy drink packages and they said yes at the time. Not sure if that person on the phone was being nice and made an exception or if this is generally allowed when someone called in but I would have to see if they'll allow this again.

Although it's nice to have "unlimited" drinks, it seems like a lot fo spend on drinks for 7 nights. I understand that we're able to bring 2 bottles of wine per stateroom so we might do that instead and then just order what we want as we go along on the trip.

HalfMonkey - Glad you were able to get a specific price to help you make a decision. The 2 bottles per cabin is a big help, especially if you mainly drink wine anyway. And yes, the 5-6 drinks per day is accurate, but that includes coffee/soda/bottles of water as well, not just 5-6 alcoholic drinks.

As far as only your wife being able to purchase the package, it depends. If she is with one of the kids, it is no problem. If she is with another adult, that adult would need to purchase as well; or if they do not drink they would need to purchase the refreshment (non-alcoholic) package. I have done it both ways. When I cruise with one of my kids, I am allowed to purchase the package just for myself; when I cruise with my mother we either both buy the package or I get a drink package and she gets the Refreshment Package.

For me, I just like to have every possible expense pre-paid...after my first ever cruise ($1000 bar bill o_O) I have always tried to get everything paid for ahead of time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter