Denied DAS at Disneyland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Aarcher,

Maybe I wasn't clear--I'm not asserting that they're in violation of the ADA. I'm not sure whether there is a legal compliance issue here, but even if there is, I'm not threatening to sue them or anything extreme like that. I'm merely saying that we were poorly treated, made to feel bad for requesting something we'd been given in the past, and overall had a terrible customer service experience. It was hardly the "happiest place on earth" for us.

Either way, I'll try to address a few of your comments directly:

1) Arriving late--While Disney does not have to accommodate this, I have seen many posts (e.g., from those with cerebral palsey) saying that they have been accommodated.

2) Phased closure--If Disney is limiting admission due to reaching capacity, that's an entirely different situation and relates to guest safety. Obviously, I would not expect them to make an exception in that case.

3) What bigger picture are you referring to? Disney is already deferring to CMs judgment, so I don't see how this changes anything. Maybe you mean that in the bigger picture, it's easier/better for Disney to tell people to use a scooter than to provide a DAS card.

4) The only reference on that page to wheelchairs or ECVs refers to disabilities "based on the necessity to use a wheelchair or scooter". I do not have any such necessity.

5) I did not decline the FP offered to me. Had it been offered to me freely, I would have graciously accepted it. Instead, I had to plead for it from the guest relations leader and was only given it to make up for lost time at guest services and not as an accommodation.

6) I'm not sure what you mean about getting "exactly what didn't want from FP". Had FP been available to me, that would have been fine. However, they were not available and, as I've said, had up to 9-10hr wait times as opposed to the 30-120 minutes in the standby lines.

It has been repeatedly stated in various threads, including the sticky on DAS, that it is the disability and associated needs and not the diagnosis that should be considered for providing a DAS card. And yet, simply saying that a guest has autism (a diagnosis, not a disability) was enough to get a DAS card whereas explaining my needs which would have easily been solved with an accommodation they routinely give out was unsuccessful. The same needs should get the same accommodations without regard to diagnosis.

In any case, whether or not this falls into the category of "personal responsibility", and whether or not they are acting in a discriminatory fashion by providing different accommodations for the same needs based on how well known the diagnosis is (or any other reason), it is completely inappropriate for a customer service representative to say that to a guest or to talk to them like they're four years old. Sometimes, to provide good customer service, you simply need to accept the situation as it presents itself and give the customer what they're asking for. Given Disney's policies, an excellent customer service experience would have been to say: "Our policy does not normally allow us to give you a DAS card, but we'll make an exception this one time. [Or give you these fast passes or...] Next time you visit, we recommend you bring a wheelchair as we won't be able to reissue your card in the future."

In any case, whether or not this falls into the category of "personal responsibility", and whether or not they are acting in a discriminatory fashion by providing different accommodations for the same needs based on how well known the diagnosis is (or any other reason), it is completely inappropriate for a customer service representative to say that to a guest or to talk to them like they're four years old. Sometimes, to provide good customer service, you simply need to accept the situation as it presents itself and give the customer what they're asking for. Given Disney's policies, an excellent customer service experience would have been to say: "Our policy does not normally allow us to give you a DAS card, but we'll make an exception this one time. [Or give you these fast passes or...] Next time you visit, we recommend you bring a wheelchair as we won't be able to reissue your card in the future."

I agree 100% that there is no excuse for the CMs exhibiting rude behavior towards you - none. However, I strongly disagree that they should always give the customer what they are asking for. The DAS is not meant for mobility-only issues, and while I understand that you don't need a mobility aid in your day to day life, Disney is a different animal completely.

In short, Disney isn't required to offer the accommodation that the guest wants, they are only required to offer the accommodation that will best meet the guest's needs while minimizing impact to park operations and other guests.

Given Disney's policies, an excellent customer service experience would have been to say: "Our policy does not normally allow us to give you a DAS card, but we'll make an exception this one time. [Or give you these fast passes or...] Next time you visit, we recommend you bring a wheelchair as we won't be able to reissue your card in the future."

Doing that sets a precedence to guests with mobility issues because people come back to public forums like this and tell others that disney issued them a DAS card.

I'm going to close this thread at this time because it is just becoming a repeating round of words.
If the original poster gets a reply they want to share on this thread, they can contact one of the Moderators and we can reopen it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter