Depression and Disney

Amandas4

A little Obsessed
I have struggled with depression and anxiety since I was a teenager. I find great relief in planning and going on Disney trips. We’ve only been able to go 5 times in the last 17 years. The last time was 3 years ago. I still plan vacations I will never be able to take. My husband and family don’t understand.
If only my insurance would pay for a yearly Disney trip instead of anti-depressants.
Anyone else struggle with Depression?

I have struggled with depression and anxiety since I was a teenager. I find great relief in planning and going on Disney trips. We’ve only been able to go 5 times in the last 17 years. The last time was 3 years ago. I still plan vacations I will never be able to take. My husband and family don’t understand.
If only my insurance would pay for a yearly Disney trip instead of anti-depressants.
Anyone else struggle with Depression?
Yes and I do the same. The dreaming, researching, swagbucking for gift cards, planning, etc. is a tremendous help for me. Sort of a therapy. My family teases me some but I think they understand it's something that calms me or gives me something to focus on that makes me happy. It's kind of my hobby I guess.

I do most definitely suffer from depression. I don’t take anything for it, as I honestly (in my case) don’t feel anything will help.

I vacation as much as possible, so I do understand. Getting away from the daily grind really does help a little.

I’m sorry for fellow sufferers

I suffer from depression and Disney definitely helps me deal with the daily struggle. Even if I watch a Disney movie helps . I plan 2 trips a year . From either Disneyland, Disney World or a Disney Cruise. I grew up going to Disneyland and if it wasn’t for Mr Walt Disney . I don’t know what I would do .

Yes, I do understand. I have had anorexia since I was 16 as well, and pushed all friends away. I’m 40 years old, single and rely on my parents and sister’s family to go on trips with me. I too wish that insurance would pay for it as “treatment.” It’s a better fix than any anti-depressant I’ve been on. I just got back from DL with my sister and niece for a short trip and it did me tons of good and renewed my spirit. But I am so sad not knowing when I’ll get to go back. I have so many fears and worries about it. When will my family be able to go again? Will I feel the true happiness I feel at Disney anytime before then? How can I recreate the happiness? Will I ever meet someone that enjoys Disney that I can travel with that still makes the trip feel as magical as it has with my family?

I’m really scared because it’s my happy place. Now I immerse myself in podcasts, Disney Facebook and Instagram sites and posts and Disney music.

How do you all deal?

I'm told I have depression along with a host of personality disorders. It's really more of the most intense self-hatred imaginable. And it gets worse when others don't share that hate towards me. Even being at Disney doesn't fix it. Sure I get to go on a spending spree like no other, but all that does is swing the mood pendulum full force. The only hope I hang onto is that when I die, it will be while experiencing the magic. Maybe, if I'm lucky everyone in the parks at the same time as me will feel even more happy if they find out some worthless piece of trash killed themselves.

Yes, I do understand. I have had anorexia since I was 16 as well, and pushed all friends away. I’m 40 years old, single and rely on my parents and sister’s family to go on trips with me. I too wish that insurance would pay for it as “treatment.” It’s a better fix than any anti-depressant I’ve been on. I just got back from DL with my sister and niece for a short trip and it did me tons of good and renewed my spirit. But I am so sad not knowing when I’ll get to go back. I have so many fears and worries about it. When will my family be able to go again? Will I feel the true happiness I feel at Disney anytime before then? How can I recreate the happiness? Will I ever meet someone that enjoys Disney that I can travel with that still makes the trip feel as magical as it has with my family?

I’m really scared because it’s my happy place. Now I immerse myself in podcasts, Disney Facebook and Instagram sites and posts and Disney music.

How do you all deal?

I totally understand the fear. We are struggling to feed our family right now. Anything extra especially anything like Disney is completely out of the question. I thought we would have a chance this summer so I started working extra hours, busting my butt to save money. I didn’t even need that much. Every dime I have saved has had to go to car repairs, or things the kids need etc. so it won’t be happening.
It seems so stupid but I get desperate sometimes and just want to run away and go. And then I remember I have $10 in the bank, and we need Cat food .
I can’t talk to anyone about it because people see it as a superficial, materialistic, entitled-brat thing. But it makes me happy.

Last edited:

I think the common denominator is HOPE.
Planning a Disney trip, taking a Disney trip, reading about others Disney trips--- all translates to hope, which leads to looking forward to something in the future, and that something has the ability to make people leave their cares and worries behind and live in the joy of the moment.

Disney is magical. I personally think it is a very valid, worthy, and proper aid for fighting depression.
Dawn

Last edited:
We are dealing with a lot of different issues within our family at this time. Myself, my husband and my daughter have all dealt with and are still dealing with anxiety/depression.
My grandson has additional needs and when we returned from our last trip we were already talking about our next trip. Then his father left them high and dry and we are going through the courts to get financial support for them going forward. Finances are stretched supporting them but we are desperate to keep our word about more trips to Disney. We all find solace that Disney is such a magical place for us that it gives us something positive and happy to plan and save for. It may be more months ahead than we would like but we will get there! Love and positive thoughts to all struggling at this time.

I'm somewhat in the same boat... I've dealt with depression for years but a few years ago, due to another medical issue, I had to stop my meds/supplements. I still see my therapist weekly, so that alleviates a lot of issues that I have, but it still lingers. Planning is one of the items that calms me but doesn't dispel my depression either. Nonetheless, I have a ladies trip that we're planning later this year to DL and I can't wait.

DL has become my happy place as well since it allows me to escape my problems/fixations for a bit. So I definitely know that feeling.

I wish the best for anyone struggling. It's tough but you can do this.

I don't struggle with depression, but I do plan Disney trips just or fun. Some people play video games. I plan Disney trips. Sometimes I make them happen and sometimes they are just for the fun of planning something I enjoy. I secretly wish I could be a Disney Vacation Planner for a living.

I was just telling my wife the other day that planning our trips and even planning trips for friends is so therapeutic to me. Some people have service dogs, I have The Dis... it seems funny but it puts this calm over me I cant explain. Disney is a safe place for so many and talking about it and dreaming about it is relaxing.

Yes, the hope it gives takes the edge off. I hope you are someday soon able to take that trip OP.:grouphug:

I struggle as well and use Disney as an escape. I am fortunate enough to be an annual pass holder but I find that when I'm not there, groups on Facebook and now this forum really help me.

I think the common denominator is HOPE.

I think having hope, whether it’s Disney or something else, is a very strong tool to deal with depression, for both the person struggling and their family.

My wife has major depression, anxiety, and agoraphobia that comes and goes. We’re now in year 5 of her depression. Planning Disney trips helps me as the spouse of someone who is suffering from depression. It gives me the energy to face the next day. For my wife, it is a bit hit and miss for her. Planning the trip helps quite a bit. Executing the trip takes a lot out of her when we do it. Honestly, planning the trips is much better for my wife than actually going.

For everyone on this post, I haven’t walked a mile in your shoes, but I see your struggle daily. Behavioral health is a bear. And you have nothing but love and support from me. Also, encourage your family members to talk to someone. A lot of times spouses don’t understand your struggle because they don’t have someone to talk to about it outside the family and how to process their own thoughts and fears. I saw a huge difference in my ability to cope when I talked to my general practitioner about it, who gave me a referral to behavioral health so I could have the tools necessary to be a better spouse to someone fighting the behavioral health battle.

Best of luck to you all! I wish you nothing but the best on your path!!

I also find planning Disney trips to be very therapeutic. I am going through what could be called a midlife crisis or maybe I just need to see things differently. We went to Disney in May and it is truly my Happy place. We had a fun trip and for awhile I was out of the usual dreary routine having alot of fun. Now that we are back and back in the daily routine I am looking forward to planning our trip for next May. Once I have the reservation in MDE, I really get happy and the planning starts in earnest. My DH has panic disorder. We had a bit of a rough time a couple of years ago getting a diagnosis. Meds and talking with a professional helped alot. While we were at Disney, he was definitely better and no panic attacks. Best wishes to all for better times ahead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!